xisto Community
gaea

Firefox Extentions Have an essential plugin? Share it with others.

Ok, I'll spare you all of the pro firefox propaganda. You all know it is the best browser out there--else you wouldn't be reading this page.

Here are a few of my favorite extentions (plugins):

1) Adblock

An absolute essential for me. Are you sick of all those obnoxious banner ads? Of popups? Of flash ads? Well adblock lets you remove all of them. The interface is great, and it is encredibly customisable. I'm so used to using it that when I use a different computer I and shocked at how much visual polution exists on the web. For those of you with fast computers, you can download adblock lists which will remove 99% of the ads from the web without you having to do anything. Unforunatly, this may cause lag if you're using an older computer. But, no worries, you can just make your own custom rules to block ads on the pages that you visit.

2) Faster Fox

This extention has many options that you can tweak to make firefox even faster. It also has an option to fix the flaw exploited by some advertisers to make popups using flash.

--------

EDIT:

--------

3) Forgot one other great extention: Stumble Upon. When you first download it you are asked to select your interests. The options range from Cats, to Islam, to online games, and everything in between. Then, whenever you are bored you select a catagory off your list and click the stumble button. It will then take you to a webpage about that subject. From there you decide if you like the page or not and then you rate it. Stumbleupon then compares these ratings to other people's, and then tries to show you pages that it thinks you'd like based on your previous ratings. It contains absolutely no spyware or ads, and they don't (to my knowledge) collect any personal information.

What extentions can't you live without?

Edited by gaea (see edit history)

1) AdblockAn absolute essential for me. Are you sick of all those obnoxious banner ads? Of popups? Of flash ads? Well adblock lets you remove all of them. The interface is great, and it is encredibly customisable. I'm so used to using it that when I use a different computer I and shocked at how much visual polution exists on the web. For those of you with fast computers, you can download adblock lists which will remove 99% of the ads from the web without you having to do anything. Unforunatly, this may cause lag if you're using an older computer. But, no worries, you can just make your own custom rules to block ads on the pages that you visit.

At first I thought AdBock was a great addon for Firefox. Well it did great for blocking ads on webpages. However, it also blocked Flash components as well. I need to disable AdBlock and refresh the page for the Flash component to load. It's really annoying factor from AdBlock. I cannot find any settings in AdBlock to stop blocking Flash companents. Since then, I've removed AdBlock. :( I'd rather live with Ads than forgiving away Flash components.

Four others, one of which was mentioned in another thread.

Siteadvisor, advises you of what sites are safe and what sites aren't. Although most computer savvy people can tell fot themselves what sites are likely to contain spyware, siteadvisor appears on your search results page. By that, I mean that after the name of each result for your search, it'll have a logo showing if the site is safe or not.

ForecastFox, I use this extension just to find out how cold it is outside. It helps me determine if I wanna go out or stay in!

FoxyTunes, I use this to play and my music without having Windows Media Player open.

IEView I use to view the sites that don't display correctly in Firefox

Adblock I Use that too!

Stumbleupon, is another one I use, and the final one I love is:

Download Statusbar It just displays the progress of my downloads in the status bar!

Not sure if these have been mentioned but i can't live without "Tab Mix Plus" it does alot of stuff, customizing how you're tabs work is its speciality, but i love its session manager functions, that is, if firefox crashes or your computer, it saves your session (opened tabs history etc) and you can easily restore it, it's great stuff.I also like the del.icio.us extension to quickly add sites.Oh and greasemonkey can't really explain what it does, but check it out i'm sure you will find a use for it :angry:

I have AdBlock.. probably my favorite thing about FireFox.I've used a similar extension to Fasterfox.I use an extension that's called BBCode something.. it's useful for storing URLs and opening them on demand.FF extensions are great.

Firebug is really helpful for developers. It lets me see the CSS style for every part of the page and allows me to neutralize every CSS command and see how it is affecting the page.It has saved me hours of debugging and understanding how CSS works.The web developer toolbar is also excellent, it lets me resize the screen to check what the site will look back at 800 X 600. Besides this it lets me outline tables and CSS block so I can analyze how a page was defined. I can see image definitions such as pixels or image weight, it lets me see the CSS of the page (puts several CSS files together).If you use CSS or want to get started with CSS you will get a lot of help from this tool.

I use all of the following:

Adblock: I use this because it blocks images and frames/iframes in a snap.

Just right-click and bam!

Adblock Plus: I use this because it can block flash objects. Useful for YouTube and Myspace.

dugged: This lets me see a duggmirror link next to stories on the frontpage on digg.com so I don't have to type it in the address box when I want to see a story that has suffered from the digg effect.

easyGestures: This makes going back and forth between tabs and websites much easier. I just press the scrollbar down and it pops up and I can move my mouse in the direction of the operation I want to perform. I can also enter web addresses very easily in this manner.

Fasterfox: This is an essential for any Firefox user. It optimizes every aspect of Firefox and is easily the first extension you should download.

IE Tab: This allows me to render pages in IE but in Firefox. Therefore letting me use Microsoft Updates through Firefox and check that my HTML is correctly rendered in Internet Explorer.

IE View: This extension allows me to specify a website I want to open in IE. When that site is opened in Firefox it is closed and reopened in IE. I should probably remove this as IE Tab does it better.

Splash!: This adds a splash loading screen to the opening of Firefox. Firefox tends to open fairly slow, and this spices it up a bit.

I'll probably get Firebug soon.

I also use a really good firefox tweak.

Here is is:

1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.

If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!

I use the Firefox Vista theme, it's not a huge difference since I'm using Windows 2000, however the default theme is uglier than a pork chop.

I use the following:- AdBlock Plus: well, you know it- AdBlock Filterset.G Updater: power filtering for AdBlock Plus- AdBlock Element Hiding Helper: allows you to hid custom images, divs, etc. by selecting them with your cursor (good for websites not completely adblocked where you go often)- Session Manager: saves your browsing session at times while browsing and when you leave so that you can recover it more easily- Download Statusbar: prevents the use of the download box which disturbs me- FireFTP: full-featured built-in FTP client with nice interface and easy to use- DownloadThemAll!: built-in download manager for Firefox. MUST HAVE!- Firebug: debug javascript, inspect web elements, debug CSS, retrieve current HTML source for dynamic pages... MUST HAVE FOR WEBSITE DEVELOPERS

Wow, i never knew that there were Firefox Add Ons. Thank you for making this topic. I got the Add on that makes Mozilla Firefox load faster, or whatever. I also got a new skin which i like. I will edit if i find more add ons that i find and use.

I love the AdBlock / AdBlock Plus Extension.Atleast that's one of the "essentials" and i'm glad others agree.If there's ONE more addon i really need, then there's the ROBOFORM addon, simple toolbar for the RoboForm Login Saver program, which is made by Siber Systems. :XD: