xisto Community
Saint_Michael

[photoshop] Photominipulation/mosaic (all Filter) Tutorial

***Photominipulation/Mosaic (all filter) Tutorial***

Step 1. Go get a Stock photo (royalty free or whatever you want to use)

Step 2. Open Up a document Im using 320x150 for this.

Step 3. Fill the Canvas in black (so easy I know)

Step 4. Make a New Layer (CTRL+SHIFT+N) then press (CTRL+A) then go to edit>stroke>1px black and then press ok.

Step 5. Grab your Stock Photo and then resize it to your to fit your canvas. Also the reason you must fill your background in black is just in case your stock photo has black background you can fill the gaps in the stock photo to match with the background.

Now you should Have something like this.

Posted Image

Step 6. Now press (CTRL+J) to make 3-4 copies of your stock photo since you will be using these to make all your edits on. Then deselect the last two so you can observe your edits on the first copied stock photo layer.

Step 7. Now go to Filter then pixelate then to mosaic for this photo im using 8 but you want to change the settings accordingly were it covers most of the stock photo. Then go to your second copied layer and reselect it and then set it to lighten. The go back to your layer then you just pixelated and then adjust the opacity that blends in both layers.

Posted Image

Step 8. Now go to your third copy layer and then reselect and set that to overlay then go back to your second copy layer, now before doing anything else go to your color platette and select 2 colors that are not black and white.

Step 9. Now with your second copy selected go to filter>sketch>graphic pen (use the default settings on the gaphic pen) and now you should have a colorful picture like this.

Posted Image

Step 10. Now er are going to blend in these 3 layers for greater effect so do the following

Mosaic layer- Guassian blue-settings 1.9 (should change it according to your sig).

Graphic Pen Layer-Set your layer to Hue

Third copy- Set it to overlay for now.

This is what you should have so far

Posted Image

Step 11. Now Select your 4th copy and then set it to overlay and then go back to the thrid copy and do the following.

Make a new layer and use this get your pain bucket and fill it with any color you want for now I'm using #0d799c and don't change any layer properties but instead go to your 4th copy and set it to Hard light to give the stock photo a colot tint to it.

Posted Image

Step 12. Now your next step is to make another copy of your orginal and bring it to the top and then go to filter>blur>radial blur and have the settings at 90 and at zoom then go to blur>gaussian blur have the blur set at 2.5 or adjust accordingly then set it to lighten.

Posted Image

Step 13. Then go to your layer that you filled in with the pain bucket press (CTRL+J) and then move that layer up top and set it to hue.

Step 14. Now create a new layer and then apply image and then deselect the rest of the layer since you will now be focus on editing these layers now. Press (CTRL+J) 3 times. Go to your second copy then do the following filter>render>lighting Effects then use these settings.

Posted Image

Step 15. Now for the Final Step go to pixelate then to Mosaic then you want to completely cover that layer in small squares I used 19 as the setting size. then I go to filter>sharpen>sharpen then press (CTRL+F) one more time.

then set the layer properties to one of the follow in which I Recommend)

Lighten

Posted Image

Overlay

Posted Image

SoftLight

Posted Image

Hardlight

Posted Image

Pin Light

Posted Image

But to Finish this Tutorial Up Im going to use Lighten as my layer property. And your done with al the filters next up is text and other special effects.

Step 16. This step I leave up to your imagination

Step 17. WOOHOO FINAL PRODUCT TIME!!!!.

Posted Image

I did this method before on BuffaloHELP's sig...it's a nice touch, especially to a tech/space sig. Never did the graphic pen though...interesting.

This was my result.... Posted Image

It was a pretty good tutorial, but it was far to confusing... also that part where u used the filter>sketch>graphic pen.. it was totally pointless. It made it look better without it. Anyways plz let me know if I did anything wrong on my result and tips, etc. ty.