xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
electriic ink

Firefox's Answer To Ie's Phishing Filter? users of the sacred browser can breathe once more

SiteAdvisor - Firefox's Answer To IE's Phishing Filter?

A site-warning plugin for ie and firefox

[hr=shade]
Name: Site Advisor[/hr]
Url: http://www.siteadvisor.com/final/index.html
Download: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Rating: 9.75/10
Improvements: Not all sites are on their database but many of the popular ones are so index all webistes.[hr=shade]

SiteAdvisor is a simple and easy to install extension created for firefox which checks to see if the site you are on is "bad" from its database of urls. Once the results have reached your browser a notification is displayed or your browser's status bar. It is either one of the following below.[/hr]

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Furthermore, when you search using popular search engines, for example google and yahoo, the ratings come up there as well as with details on the test results for that site.

Posted Image

A green website is totally safe to surf on, a yellow website is one which may deal extremely little pieces of malpractice and ergo you should proceed with extreme caution when visiting such sites. Sites given the red rating induldge in high quantities of malpractice and should be avioded at all costs.

Reports suggest that approximately 2% of all websites tested have been given the yellow raring and 5% the dreaded red.

It is of no surprise that when searching for popular keywords such as screensavers and p2p, red crosses appear for many of the websites.

As a user of this extension myself for a considerable amount of time (all of 4 days), I recommend it. When searching and browsing the siteadvisor results come back in all of 2 seconds, bearing in mind I'm a dialup user. I should expect the information of the sites it collects to be very accurate although some safe download sites such as softpedia is in many's eyes, unjustly certified as red .

This extension is a very useful guide to new and ignorant web users who'll download spyware for sure and an excellent resource for those helping to maintain their systems free of malware. Whatever critics say, this extension should, in my opinion, be included with the next version of firefox.

I like this addon. The nice little button turned gray when I visited my site however. When I went to the Site Owner Comments form, it found all of my domains email addresses. How's that for privacy?

This looks like it could be quite usefull, I have been looking for a feature like this for Firefox for a while now, I was previously using the Google Site Filter thing (labs.google.com) but I didn't really like this. But this looks like it is just the job, not that I plan on ever needing it, but for someone how was not to good at detecting phishing sites it would be a great tool, I just hope that the data base can grow to a stage where it will find most phishing sites. Nayway thanks I will definately try this extension out.

I like this addon. The nice little button turned gray when I visited my site however. When I went to the Site Owner Comments form, it found all of my domains email addresses. How's that for privacy?

Well, It has not found all of your domain email addresses. It is just that to keep things simple and to recognize that it is the site owner who is leaving the comment..they've chosen the most common email address used by the owner's! You'll get my point..If you'll read what they are saying!
And as far as this extension is concerned...I think it is certainly a great add-on for those who are ignorant while surfing..but I think it can be handy for people like me (who are cautious while surfing)! I loved its feature of showing the results of the websites on the search engine!
Nice find there cmat :(

This tool is immensly useful and has saved me from a few sites when I have done searches on google and such. I suggest to anyone who is questioning wether or not that they need or want this to go ahead and get it.Any questions about it feel free to ask I have been using this since almost its release.