xisto Community
Mortanis

Odd Phobias

Here are a bunch of phobias I just learned:

Anthropomorphobia — Fear or dislike of anthropomorphic traits. (basically personification)

Aphenphosmphobia, Chiraptophobia, Haphephobia, Haptephobia — Fear of being touched.

Clinophobia — Fear of going to bed or falling asleep.

Coulrophobia — Fear of evil clowns. (yes, the definition actually is evil clowns)

Emetophobia — Fear of vomiting

Ephebiphobia — Fear/dislike of teenagers.

Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia — Fear of the number 666.

Paraskavedekatriaphobia — Fear of Friday the 13th.

really i like to know how these names are made up Heck I can make one up right nowdokutrophobia- fear of being yelled at. <---not realbinaryphobia-fear of binary numbers. noooo not 100110100101 :(but yeha back to my first question I might be wrong about this but i think theirs like 2-300 different phobia's that have been classfied or something like that.I highly recommend Coulrophobics do not see the movie it or you will go crazy hahahaha :(.

Some of them are vey curious... having clinophobia must be awful. I suppose a person which suffers from it refuses to go to bed, so he must be tired and weak all day. Sounds funny but I guess it isn?t at all.And that fear of evil clowns, hahaha, very funny. They must have red or seen "It". Could be Pennywisephobia :(

With these strange names for phobias I wonder if there is actually a naming convention like there is for chemical compounds.I have met someone with clinophobia (fear of going to sleep). He told me he was afraid of going to sleep because he feels that he won't wake up the next morning.

Edited by Arigato (see edit history)

i have a fear of places with crowded people, those where you can barely get enough air to breathe because of so many people taking in the same air you're breathing in and out. i get tense when that happens. it gets sweaty because of less space to move around. it's not a pretty thing to experience something like that.

i aksed a friend if she was Aphenphosmphobia and she said yes..then i asked her what it was and she says she didn't know...lol she likes hugs and i and so i said i guess no more hugs for you and told her what it was..she took it back..so two people learned a new thing in just as many minutes...lol thanx for posting it..i even printed it off for later :-D

I have loads of books of random facts and things like that, and I found a few lists of weird phobias. Two of interest are phobiophobic which is someone who is scared of fear itself and scriptergophobic, which is someone who is afraid of writing and work :(

I think a lot of them are made using latin or greek terms... Hex is something for six.

Latin for six is (don't laugh, if you do, you're immature) sex.

one = unus
two = duos
three = tres
four = quattor
five = quinque
six = sex
seven = septem
eight = octo
nine = novem
ten = decem

So, yeah, a Latin scholar you are.

Hex is just short for hexadecimal which means base 16. There are more phobias at phobialist.com. And the weird names do come from roots in other languages (sometimes Latin and Greek), much like in scientific nomenclature. I'll post a few here and break them down:

Acousticophobia- Fear of noise

Acoustico = Acoustic = sound or noise

Aerophobia- Fear of drafts, air swallowing, or airbourne noxious substances.

Aero = air

Agoraphobia- Fear of open spaces or of being in crowded, public places like markets. Fear of leaving a safe place.

Agora = public square or market in ancient Greek cities

Arachnephobia or Arachnophobia- Fear of spiders.

Spiders are arachnids

Hydrophobia- Fear of water or of rabies.

Hydrophobophobia- Fear of rabies.

Hydro is a prefix meaning water, which explains the first. Rabies also causes hydrophobia, so hydrophobophobia is basically the fear of fear of water.

The rest make sense, too, even the weird ones, if you find out enough about the roots.

Well i have one fear since I was a kid Thanatophobia the fear of death let just say I'm not to fond it .This has to funny as hell to see "Diplophobia" fear of double vision, imagine someone having double vision and that fear Im sorry but I would have to laugh at that one.but yeah by the looks of it alot of latin is being used in some of these.

they should have something like fear of 9/11 or something. I've been seeing like at random times the number 9 11 on the digital clocks and stuff. its just weird. like i would turn over and see it. lol..

Just had to add this one:

Russophobia - fear of Russian people :(

Wow, if you have that, than stay away from me.

Blegh!!!

Hehe, lol.