xisto Community
adriantc

Slobodan Milosevic Found Dead In Cell ... natural death or suicide ...

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - Slobodan Milosevic, the former Yugoslav leader branded "the butcher of the Balkans" for orchestrating a decade of wars that eventually broke up his country and led to his war crimes trial, was found dead in his prison cell Saturday. Milosevic, 64, apparently died of natural causes, the U.N. tribunal said. He was found dead in his bed at the U.N. detention center, but it was unclear exactly when he had died. "The guard immediately alerted the detention unit officer in command and the medical officer. The latter confirmed that Slobodan Milosevic was dead," the tribunal said in a statement. The tribunal said all prisoners at the detention center near The Hague are routinely checked every half hour, but it had no more information. Milosevic has been on trial since February 2002, defending himself against 66 counts of crimes, including genocide, in Croatia, Bosnia and Kosovo. The prosecution claimed Milosevic orchestrated a brutal campaign of ethnic cleansing against non-Serbs during the collapse of the Yugoslav federation in an attempt to link Serbia with Serb-dominated areas of Croatia and Bosnia to create a new Greater Serbia. But the trial repeatedly was interrupted by Milosevic's poor health and chronic heart condition. It was recessed last week to await his next defense witness. Milosevic also was waiting for a court decision on his request to subpoena former President Bill Clinton as a witness. He also recently asked the tribunal to be released temporarily to go to Moscow for treatment at a heart clinic. The tribunal rejected the request, fearing he would not return to complete his trial. Steven Kay, a British attorney assigned to represent Milosevic, said Saturday that the former Serb leader would not have fled, and was not suicidal. "He said to me: 'I haven't taken on all this work just to walk away from it and not come back. I want to see this case through,'" Kay told the British Broadcasting Corp. Milosevic's death comes less than a week after the star witness in his trial, former Croatian Serb leader Milan Babic, was found dead in the same prison. Babic, who was serving a 13-year prison sentence, committed suicide. His testimony in 2002 described a political and military command structure headed by Milosevic in Belgrade that operated behind the scenes. Milosevic's death will be a crushing blow to the tribunal and to those who were looking to establish an authoritative historical record of the Balkan wars. Though the witness testimony is on public record, history will be denied the judgment of a panel of legal experts weighing the evidence of his personal guilt and the story of his regime. "Unfortunately, he did not face justice for crimes he has committed in Kosovo as well," Kosovo's Deputy Prime Minister Lufi Haziri said in Pristina. The European Union said Milosevic's death does not absolve Serbia of responsibility to hand over other war crimes suspects. The death "does not alter in any way the need to come to terms with the legacy of the Balkan wars," Austrian Foreign Minister Ursula Plassnik, whose country holds the rotating EU president, said in Salzburg. Milosevic was due to complete his defense at the war crimes tribunal this summer. A figure of beguiling charm and cunning ruthlessness, Milosevic was a master tactician who turned his country's defeats into personal victories and held onto power for 13 years despite losing four wars that shattered his nation and impoverished his people. Milosevic led Serbia, the dominant Yugoslav republic, into four Balkan wars during the 1990s. The secret of his survival was his uncanny ability to exploit what less adroit figures would consider a fatal blow. Each time he would bounce back, skillfully reinventing himself in a series of political transformations ďż˝ as a devout communist, a reform-minded nationalist, and again as a communist at a time when most of the world had abandoned Marxist ideology. He once described himself as the "Ayatollah Khomeini of Serbia," assuring his prime minister, Milan Panic, that "the Serbs will follow me no matter what." For years, they did ďż˝ through wars which dismembered Yugoslavia and plunged what was left of the country into social, political, moral and economic ruin. But in the end, his people abandoned him: first in October 2000, when he was unable to convince the majority of Yugoslavs that he had staved off electoral defeat by his successor, Vojislav Kostunica, and again on April 1, 2001, when he surrendered after a 26-hour standoff to face criminal charges stemming from his ruinous rule. Milosevic was born Aug. 20, 1941, in Pozarevac, a drab factory town in central Serbia best known as the home of one of the country's most notorious prisons. His father was a defrocked Orthodox priest and sometime teacher of Russian. His mother was also a teacher. Both parents eventually committed suicide. In high school, he met his future wife, Mirjana Markovic, the daughter of a wartime communist partisan hero. She was also the niece of Davorjanka Paunovic, private secretary and mistress of Josip Broz Tito, the communist guerrilla leader who seized power in Yugoslavia at the end of World War II. Markovic, who was often accused of being the power behind the scenes during her husband's autocratic rule in the 1990s, also faced corruption charges in Belgrade and has been in self-imposed exile in Russia since 2003. Milosevic became president of Serbia in 1989 elections widely considered rigged. His rise alarmed the other peoples of former Yugoslavia ďż˝ Slovenes, Croats, Macedonians, Albanians and others ďż˝ who feared that the hard-line nationalist would allow Serbs to dominate the country. In 1991, Croatia and Slovenia declared their independence from Yugoslavia. Milosevic sent tanks to Slovenian borders, triggering a brief war that ended in Slovenia's secession. Serbs in Croatia, encouraged by Milosevic, took up arms. Milosevic responded by sending the Serb-led Yugoslav army to intervene, triggering a conflict that left at least 10,000 people dead and hundreds of Croatian villages and towns devastated before a U.N.-patrolled cease-fire was arranged in January 1992. Three months later, Bosnia-Herzegovina declared its independence, too. Milosevic bankrolled the Bosnian Serb rebellion, triggering an even bigger war that killed an estimated 200,000 people before a U.S.-brokered peace agreement was reached at Dayton, Ohio, in 1995. During those conflicts, Yugoslavia was ostracized worldwide and the United States called Milosevic "The Butcher of the Balkans." Strict international sanctions and government mismanagement devastated the economy and left its people impoverished. Realizing that the conflicts could not continue, Milosevic agreed to the Dayton talks, accepting a deal that abandoned Croatia's rebel Serbs, who were driven from their homes when the Croatian army recaptured almost all the land the Serbs had seized there in 1991. The Dayton agreement also meant giving up the nationalist goal of a Serb state in Bosnia. Nevertheless, it bought Milosevic time and transformed his image from Balkan villain to benign peacemaker. Milosevic's term as Serbian president ended in 1997 and the constitution prevented him from running again. However, he exploited legal loopholes in the constitution to have parliament name him president of Yugoslavia, which by then included only the republics of Serbia and Montenegro. It was the thorny problem of Kosovo, the majority Albanian province that had served as his springboard to power, which finally set the stage for his downfall. In February 1998, Milosevic sent troops to crush an ethnic Albanian uprising there. The United States and its allies responded by imposing some of the sanctions that were lifted after the Bosnian war. In 1999, after Milosevic refused to sign a Western-dictated peace agreement at Rambouillet, France, NATO launched 78 days of punishing air strikes against Yugoslavia. Milosevic refused to back down and instead ordered his troops to crack down on Kosovo Albanians even harder. More than 800,000 Albanians fled into neighboring Albania, Montenegro and Macedonia before Milosevic finally accepted a peace plan and handed over the province to the United Nations and NATO in June 1999. Before the conflict ended, the U.N. tribunal indicted Milosevic and four of his top aides for war crimes and crimes against humanity allegedly committed in Kosovo. Milosevic became the first sitting head of state ever to be indicted for such crimes. Later, they broadened the charges against him to include genocide.

if you want to read the full article CLICK HERE Even if they say it was a natural death, I really don't belive that. Even thought I was young when the war took place I still remember clearly what happened since it was at the border of my country. He should have become an example for future generations (by beeing convicted to death). I have seen that some people are concerned about the fact that he may be turned into a hero... What do you think?

if you want to read the full article CLICK HERE Even if they say it was a natural death, I really don't belive that. Even thought I was young when the war took place I still remember clearly what happened since it was at the border of my country. He should have become an example for future generations (by beeing convicted to death). I have seen that some people are concerned about the fact that he may be turned into a hero... What do you think?

Yes he will be considered hero. His guilt is he defended his country from disintegration. He fought terrorists in his regional land "kosovo" before the international declaration of war on terrorism . While he was brought to trial, the American President Clinton who bombing the civilian, cities and bridges in Yougoslavia , he is walking free everywhere. Also President Bush who destroyed two countries [iraq and Afghanistan] and killed thousands of civilians by mistakes, he will not be in any trial. Even his soldiers are immune from going to any international tribunal. Before that the American president Truman who killed hundreds of thousands of Innocent Japanese civilian never tried for this crime. The same Israeli's leaders who are killing civilian as they like and destroying houses and lands as they see and do more than the WWII criminals did , nobody blame them and they find excuses to them. But no excuses to the Yugoslavian leaders to protect the integrity of their country

If you look to him as a hero who wanted to protect the integrity of their country, you can also look to Hitler as a hero who wanted to conquer the world. In my opinion if the germans would rule (I said germans not nazi) the world ... the world would be in a better place. But Hitler killed millions of jews so he is far from a hero... So is Slobodan Milosevic.

Maybe I should have quoted only this part:

It was the thorny problem of Kosovo, the majority Albanian province that had served as his springboard to power, which finally set the stage for his downfall. In February 1998, Milosevic sent troops to crush an ethnic Albanian uprising there.
The United States and its allies responded by imposing some of the sanctions that were lifted after the Bosnian war. In 1999, after Milosevic refused to sign a Western-dictated peace agreement at Rambouillet, France,
NATO launched 78 days of punishing air strikes against Yugoslavia.

Milosevic refused to back down and instead ordered his troops to crack down on Kosovo Albanians even harder. More than 800,000 Albanians fled into neighboring Albania, Montenegro and Macedonia before Milosevic finally accepted a peace plan and handed over the province to the
United Nations and NATO in June 1999.

Before the conflict ended, the U.N. tribunal indicted Milosevic and four of his top aides for war crimes and crimes against humanity allegedly committed in Kosovo. Milosevic became the first sitting head of state ever to be indicted for such crimes. Later, they broadened the charges against him to include genocide.

I don't defend Bush or the use of nuclear weapons in the second world war. I have been stronly against Bush and the so called war against terrorism, but we shouldn't forget that the intervention in Kosovo was voted by the U.N., organization which in my opinion should have the greatest power in the world.

Milosevic has been on trial since February 2002, defending himself against 66 counts of crimes, including genocide, in Croatia, Bosnia andKosovo.

The prosecution claimed Milosevic orchestrated a brutal campaign of ethnic cleansing against non-Serbs during the collapse of the Yugoslav federation in an attempt to link Serbia with Serb-dominated areas of Croatia and Bosnia to create a new Greater Serbia.

HE IS NO HERO...

If you look to him as a hero who wanted to protect the integrity of their country, you can also look to Hitler as a hero who wanted to conquer the world. In my opinion if the germans would rule (I said germans not nazi) the world ... the world would be in a better place. But Hitler killed millions of jews so he is far from a hero... So is Slobodan Milosevic.
Maybe I should have quoted only this part:
I don't defend Bush or the use of nuclear weapons in the second world war. I have been stronly against Bush and the so called war against terrorism, but we shouldn't forget that the intervention in Kosovo was voted by the U.N., organization which in my opinion should have the greatest power in the world.
HE IS NO HERO...

1. How you compare someone defend the integrity of his country with some one invaded and conqured all the European countries. You are wrong in this comparison. What if some states in US wanted to seperate?. Wasn't in the past civil war in US until the unification?

2. Why you dreamed that Germans would rule and considered the world would be in better place. Every country will be happy if they free from occupation or foreign ruling.

3. President Bush killed thousands and destoyed two countries because 6 thousands Americans was killed. He could find a way to punish the criminal terrorists without destroying countries or killing civilians. Morever Iraq has no relation with this crime.

4. The history and his people who will judge him whether he hero or not. His people consider him hero and the governement gave him for the promise of benefits which didn't come and will not come.
Edited by kasm (see edit history)

1. How you compare someone defend the integrity of his country with some one invaded and conqured all the European countries. You are wrong in this comparison. What if some states in US wanted to seperate?. Wasn't in the past civil war in US until the unification?
2. Why you dreamed that Germans would rule and considered the world would be in better place. Every country will be happy if they free from occupation or foreign ruling.

3. President Bush killed thousands and destoyed two countries because 6 thousands Americans was killed. He could find a way to punish the criminal terrorists without destroying countries or killing civilians. Morever Iraq has no relation with this crime.

4. The history and his people who will judge him whether he hero or not. His people consider him hero and the governement gave him for the promise of benefits which didn't come and will not come.

1. I compared Hitler with Milosevic because they both killed inocent people. Not in a war situation where inocent casualties are inevitable, but because they were rasists and killed people for their own reasons. You have to remember that the jews in 2nd World War Germany (and in most of the countries today... specially USA) control a huge portion of the economy (in a sense jews control the USA... financial speaking). The same "protecting integrity" could be applyed to Hitler, but we all know he was a madman not a hero.

2. In my opinion (and I'm not a racist) the german people are the smartest in the world. Not only that but they are the most efficient (take in consideration that in both world wars they fought almoust alone against everyone and almoust won). The devided world of today is not good at all. And that's why I like globalization. All men are brothers, but every nation has a different objective. Different currency, different language... The best way I would see the world is that of a federation (like the USA). In my country we have a high level of corruption and birocracy. I would gladly accept a foreign ruling as long as they let us keep our teritory and language intact.

3. As I said I agree with you. The war in Iraq has nothing (or almoust nothing) to do with terrorism. The black gold is the issue. But we must remember that USA rules the world. 2nd World War made USA what it is today. One way or another we must accept that they make the rules and such they will never be guilty of something. There is no one to dispute their position...

4. True. BUT HISTORY IS MADE BY THE VICTORS. It is the way the history works. It is why history will never be objective...

Well I have to tend to agree that the US Controls a little much mostly financial, if you think about it US stock market pretty much controls the worlds money. If the market were to crash right now WWIII would begin where each country is up fro grabs and Nato and U.N would pretty much be dead.But kasm you fail to realize before US got involved with Slobodan Milosevic, he arleady started killing people for no particular reason thus he was branded a "hitler" then the bosnia war started with us being involved alliance and all and also finishing what we started after the Korean War and that was basically destroy communist countries, official we did but of course they won't tell you that. Plus everyone new that Milosevic was not taken care of terrorist that was the cover story he wanted to do what hitler was doing and that was to kill of a race of people just because he felt like it.But with what adriantc said about germany if US never got involved in the War then most likly the World would be Run by the nazi's but we did and here we are today.Remember people are only heros to those who follow in their ways but not a hero to those who look for peace and justice for everyone.Now concerning the atom bombs at that time it was jusitified they need to end a war and end it quickly since it lasted 6 years and already millions of people have already been killed military and cilvilian. But by todays standards it wouldn't have been justified.But to get a little personal on this topic to a point, the muslim countries havn't been trying itheir hardest to stop the people who use islam as a way to kill people who have nothing to do with anything that going on with it, the terrorist that decided to slam airplanes into buildings also took it apon themselves to decide everyones fate and look where we are now it will be five year since that fate has been sealed. Since I take this a little further those cartoons do make a point for a religion that says they live in peace sure not treating it as such. look whats happening now the muslim people are fighting amoung themselves cause they want power and the only way to achieve power the right way is through talking and not fighting but that won't happen though.Now with whats going on in Iran they are already making their moves to be included in this war cause their leader is as twisted as hitler trying to kill people for what land, money and to opress people. You would think he would realize that alot of people are not going to let that happen. Believe me their nuclear program is for making weapons and nothing more then that and quite frankly when a country that supports terrorism is trying to go nuclear they are going to make those weapons for them and when they launch that nuke believe me as I tell you this Iran will cease to exsist and anyone else that decides to launch one cause we will launch back and it will not just be not one nuke either it will be several and the US Government will hit their traget with deadly accuracy and thats based on facts not opinions.So if you want to people to see the light well I say get out of your house and let people know to stop these pointless attacks and put down their weapons and start talking. But of course that's in a fantasy world cause in the real world the only thing that keeps on killing innocent people is money and thats pretty much it.Fighting back and forth will not solve anything, yeah I think bush is a total @ZZ and corrupted he should go to prision for lying to everyone about what they were really after and thanks to him and his friends he's made this world a harder place to be in. But also I blame the people who decide that killing and kidnapping is the best solution to make people listen.I would have like to do some travling across the world and see the great sites but I doubt that will ever happen cause people want nothing more then money and power.Of course I have more to this but Im will stop for now.and heres a little side note for those who think just because im a american or just another infedel and evil person.I only believe in what I see, know and hear, I don't do what others tell me to do just because they say so I do it If I believe it to be the best course in action or the right thing to do and that everyone is also aprt of it as well and if I have to defend myself from those trying to hurt me my family or people i care about I will kill you were you stand and I will never give it a second thought, I seen enough violence in my life to know how to do it to.

1. I compared Hitler with Milosevic because they both killed inocent people. .....
The same "protecting integrity" could be applyed to Hitler, but we all know he was a madman not a hero.
The devided world of today is not good at all. And that's why I like globalization.....
The best way I would see the world is that of a federation (like the USA). In my country we have a high level of corruption and birocracy. I would gladly accept a foreign ruling as long as they let us keep our teritory and language intact.
2nd World War made USA what it is today. One way or another we must accept that they make the rules and such they will never be guilty of something. ...

Strange opinions about globalization, federation, loves to become slaves to others, acceptance of foreign ruling, loves the aggressor, wrong understanding that invasion of others by Hitler was "protecting integrity", wrong definition for Victory of Germany (the beginning victories or the last results).

Good for you but not for me and the others.

Does US is free from corruption and bureaucracy?

What about killing entire nations in America or Australia by the British? What about the killing and slavery of Africans by the British, French and others. What about British war against China to accept opium trade . What about Arabic and Ottoman Empires to spread and enforce Islam (the problems in Bosnia and Kosova were resulted of that)

The difference between Hitler and what the British and the French did is that Hitler conquered and occupied Europe while the others invaded and genocides Africans, Asian, Native Americans and the Aboriginals of Australia
Edited by kasm (see edit history)

Strange opinions about globalization, federation, loves to become slaves to others, acceptance of foreign ruling, loves the aggressor, wrong understanding that invasion of others by Hitler was "protecting integrity", wrong definition for Victory of Germany (the beginning victories or the last results).

I have told you why I would gladly accept foreign ruling. Everyday I go to school I see an old man beg for money. He probably worked his entire life and now, when he is old, he receives less then 100$ per month. Even my grandparents have the same income. And my grandfather worked over 40 years in a foundry (I don't know if that is the correct word, but I was looking for a definiton of a factory where they melt steel to make tracks and trains). All this time the politicians are corrupt to the bones, make millions of $ and live their life in wealth you can only imagine while the rest of the people live below the line of poverty. If I could ever be in a situation where I could judge them I would gladly kill every politician with my own hands. In a word, I simply hate them. They don't represent us, our interests or my country. They only care about themselves. That is why even a foreign rule would be better, maybe not forever but until our so called politicians will finaly understands that they must use their power for the good of the people and not the good of themselves of their family.
And you must understand that freedom is only a word, it has no exact meaning. You define your own freedom. If I can speak my own language and keep my traditions I can consider myself free. And as long as the ones who rule us only think about OUR good... That doesn't make me a slave.
Well I don't understand "protecting integrity" wrong I just see it from a different perspective. For what Hitler understood he did only good. Same thing for Slobodan Milosevic. He is considered a hero by his people (I wonder if that is true... I mean that Hitler was loved for a few years until they discovered what he done).
I really don't understand what you mean by "wrong definition for Victory of Germany (the beginning victories or the last results)". Please explain.

The difference between Hitler and what the British and the French did is that Hitler conquered and occupied Europe while the others invaded and genocides Africans, Asian, Native Americans and the Aboriginals of Australia

The difference is a very large one. If it wasn't for the great empires such as the British one there won't be a USA now. Same thing for Australia, Canada or Latin America. At least as they look now... wealthy and civilized. Following your thinking I would end up blaming the Roman Empire... yeah Roman Empire wasn't then greatest, but it was better then any of its time and if there were no Roman Empire I'm sure we wouldn't have computers or any other great technology. Because the barbarians where not interested in technology. In other words it is about the greater good. From 2 bad things we choose the better one.

What about killing entire nations in America or Australia by the British? What about the killing and slavery of Africans by the British, French and others. What about British war against China to accept opium trade . What about Arabic and Ottoman Empires to spread and enforce Islam (the problems in Bosnia and Kosova were resulted of that)

In my opinion you are wrong. Because the things you talk about happened a long time ago, when menkind wasn't so civilized. It was normal for them what they did. It is considered wrong now. When we talk about what Milosevic did we talk in the present, a few years ago, and that is a big difference. He knew that what he did was wrong and he should have been punished (even with death) for it.

So if you want to people to see the light well I say get out of your house and let people know to stop these pointless attacks and put down their weapons and start talking. But of course that's in a fantasy world cause in the real world the only thing that keeps on killing innocent people is money and thats pretty much it.

Fighting back and forth will not solve anything, yeah I think bush is a total @ZZ and corrupted he should go to prision for lying to everyone about what they were really after and thanks to him and his friends he's made this world a harder place to be in. But also I blame the people who decide that killing and kidnapping is the best solution to make people listen.
I only believe in what I see, know and hear, I don't do what others tell me to do just because they say so I do it If I believe it to be the best course in action or the right thing to do and that everyone is also aprt of it as well and if I have to defend myself from those trying to hurt me my family or people i care about I will kill you were you stand and I will never give it a second thought, I seen enough violence in my life to know how to do it to.

Hey there guys,

St-Michael, what you say is to be applauded. I do, sincerely.

Now when it comes to talking about Balkans and ex-Yugoslavia, I do think nobody among us can really size up the immensity of a problem that has been up and running for centuries now.

This unhappy place has known wars between brethrens speaking the same language, but of different religions. Catholic Croatians during WWII have launched many deadly raids against both Orthodox Serbians and Muslim Bosnians with Hitler's blessings. Milosevic is quite obsviously a defunct war criminal, but a criminal who only acted out his own personal prejudices. So did Mladic, who's still to be captured and who'll most probably also die in his cell when he is. Things have a way to get very difficult to understand when it comes down to looking at Balkanic behaviour, I guess.

Prejudice is the keyword, folks. Nvere, ever lend an ear to prejudice, if you don't want to wind up killing innocent people out of your own hand and in cold blood.

Cheers, all! :(

But no excuses to the Yugoslavian leaders to protect the integrity of their country

Don't ya just love euphemisms. So 'protecting the integrity' includes eliminating whole villages of your nation's citizens? Now I don't dispute the fact that other nations have done this throughout history, but don't try and sugar coat it with a description like 'protecting the integrity'. That's like me saying I'm protecting the integrity of my bank balance by robbing an old lady.
Whether Milosevic is any worse than any other world leader in terms of 'war crimes' is open to dispute. What's irrefutable though is that he clearly was an idiot. He had the whole world watching what was going on in his country and yet he did it anyway. Stupid people quite often end up in jail. So he got what he deserved I reckon.

Milosevic was the Butcher of the Balkans. He and many other Greater-Serbs committed countless atrocities and ethnic cleansings against Croats, Bosnians, and Kosovars, end of story. The Hague is a weak system and I don't know why they still have it, it doesn't do anything. All these years of him on trial with all the delays was just money out the window.

I say: justice for all. Everyone who has done anything wrong has a right to defend himself and prove his point. Mr. M is no exception. Unfortunately he will not see the fair trial that would most probably find him guilty.

OK this is old topic but I want to say few things on this topic as I was direct witness to the war in Bosnia and partially in Croatia. I was young but I clearly remember news reports from both sides Serbian and Croatian at the time and I remember many things as from the window of my building that is apartment I could see village fo my grandparents and I could see two our hoses burned to the ground by Croatian military. Also I want to say that Milosevic will be considered as martyr and he should how come that none of the other leaders ended up in the Haag like Tudjman and Alija both commited more war crimes then Milosevic. As after 92 Serbia and country of which milosevic reigned was foreign country and there was international embargo from trading between Serbia in Yugoslavia and Serbs in Bosnia and Croatia. So 92 Is end of Milosevic interference in the wars in Croatia and Bosnia and international community still considers him as war criminal. And here is about Kosovo, as most of foreigners is just watching CNN and BBC news reports and those are often under the lobby of the Albanians just like last presidential candidate who received 10,000,000 millions from Albanian Criminal Bosses to give Kosovo independence. And remmember this if Kosovo by any chance gets independence that is bad move for Europe and Balkan will soon fire in the war conflicts because Albanians are not just commiting war crimes against international heritage on Kosovo like Serbian Churches and Monestaries which were build before west new for spoon. And more over against Serbian people. Same thing is happening in the Macedonia Alabnians waged war against MAcedonian legel forces and then USA interfered and now Macedonia has to pay them retirements because they were fighting for their rights.What if few millions mexicans tried to fight their way in the Boston of New York or Los Angeles what would America say then is it war for human rights. Of course not not on their soil. America interferse to the internal affairs of the Serbia eventhough Serbia was fighting terrorists.America's influence like global cop will probably come to an end soon. And then world will see what didi they done when Albanians start offencive against Serbs And Macedonians. And remmember Albanians wont stop there if they win Serbia and take it over they will continue. I will see what will world say when they come up to Berlin or Paris or even London. But then it will be too late. Because USA trained them for war and gave them weapons but they want leave someone else to clean their mess.

I am an 18 year old Bosnian girl. I don't know what most of you are talking about. (Political mumbo jumbo), but I do know that Milosevic's Serbian Army (The Cetniks) killed my father, both my grandfathers, and my father's only brother. I won't talk about what they did to my dad, but my grandfather (from my mother's side) was tied up in a barn with a lot of elderly people, and they were burned alive.

Why were these things done to my people? Because of our religion!? They called us "Balije" and raped Bosnian women, beheaded innocent little children. It sounds unreal, but these things did happen. They killed thousands of innocent people! Genocide is what they call it. We suffered three years before the war ended. My father served 2 before he was killed. I was four years old when I was left without a dad. My baby sister was one. I have a few memories of my father, but the ones I have, are precious to me. My sister of course doesn't remember him, and I feel really sorry for her. Every time I hear somebody calling their dad or I hear the term "daddy's girl", I am reminded of my father. It kills me inside but I pretend that I'm strong. I still cry at night from time to time, thinking about what life would be like if the war never happened. How happy we would be. I cry because I miss my father, my grandfathers and my uncle. I was only 5 when the war "ended", but it still went on and I remember a lot, even though I was young.

I witnessed my best friend lose both of her legs by stepping on a land mine set up on a soccer field placed there by the Cetniks, targeting little kids. We would go for days without places to sleep or food to eat, because we were forced to leave our cities, our homes, with nothing but the clothes on our backs. We did NOTHING wrong. In fact we aren't even very religious people. I have never been to a mosque in my life. Most Bosnians are not very religious. We were friends with the very people who attacked us. That is the reason I am in the United States right now. Please don't say things like "Milosevic is a hero", because he is a person who ruined the lives of many innocent people, including my own. He used religion as a reason to create war, when in fact it had nothing to do with religion. He was a selfish and evil man, who started a war over land money and control, and used religion and politics as an excuse.

I wish people wouldn't talk about Milosevic at all because it simply angers me that he had a cushy life; from freedom, to prison. He died from drug overdose. Drugs that he had snuggled into jail to keep him "sick". He never was sick in the first place, but he made himself sick to get out of punishment. He had it good while he was there. He overdosed on accident and died. It's not fair that his family is rich, safe and living off the blood of my family and thousands of Bosnians. I want to forget what happened and live the rest of my life without being angry or sad. I miss my family and I always will, and them I will never forget the sacrifices they have made for me, but I want to forget about the horrible things I've witnessed and finally move on from the nightmare.

Replying to QueenBeeYes, Milosevic is a hero. And he is not guilty at all for the crimes of "chetniks". The murderers are Tudjman, Izetbegovic and Clinton. And this fact will never change. Milosevic wanted a rich, socialist, multietnic Yugoslavija. What is wrong here? After all what is that a bosniak? It is a Muslim Serb. And what is that a Croatian? It is a Catholic Serb.-reply by gheorghita zbaganu