xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kim

Negative Perception Of Islam Is Increasing unfavorable view of Islam

Negative Perception Of Islam

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

This is not exactly hot news, but it is news and I think it's worth thinking about. According to a recent poll by the Washington Post, more Americans (46%) are having an unfavorable view of Islam, in particular that it encourages violence (33%).

I think this increase is due to the negative information put forth by the media and the politicians, especially recently. Islam, from what I have heard, encourages peace and acceptance, not violence. The media chooses to pay more attention to the extremists instead of Muslims who oppose violence caused by these extremists.

If Islam really encourages violence, then why do we not hear more about the violence caused by Muslims in Indonesia, the country with the largest number of Islams?

If Islam really encourages violence, then why do we not hear more about the violence caused by Muslims in Indonesia, the country with the largest number of Islams?

We hear plenty about it down here thanks very much. There's been numerous bombings over the last few years one which killed 86 Australians (among the many). Then there's all the religious conflicts on Aceh with churches being burned etc.

May be it is due to :-1. Mass number of terrorist attacks in past few years.2. Most of them were Islamic origin.3. Most of them used the reason of their religion for them.4. Popularity of things like Jihad where they term terrorism as Holy war.On the other hand, I live in a place which is flocked with Islamic people. There is a masjid (mosque) within the radius of 100 meters from my house.And there we never had any problem ever. The media and movies here all are trying to erradicate the misconception.The main misconception people have is, Islamic people do not belong to any country but only to their religion. And hence, they also think they are not patriotic.Whereas, this is not true. I am sure, your countries defence team has a good number of islamic people who risk their lives to protect your country :(

That's really horrible to read, as someone who's studying Islam at school. First of all, the word Islam means peace. Lesser Jihad is Holy War- when a religious leader declares war, and when the purpose of the war is not to gain land/money etc. Greater Jihad is the fight inside yourself... the daily struggle, e.g. during Ramadan when your body wants to eat but your soul doesn't. Of course there are going to be extremists, just like there are in every religion. The majority of Muslims are respectful, peaceful people and don't deserve to be stereotyped like that.

The negative perception of Islam is increasing because of many reasons if there is such perception at all. 1. So many attacks here and there, from Bali to New York by Muslim terrorists who justified their stand by claiming to be doing what Allah wanted them to do. This is very bad. Allah would never command them to attack others in these manners.2. Religion seems to be the first priority in the life of many Muslims. And any other things come later. This kind of portrayal isn't benefitting any because whether you are muslim, christian, hindu, jews, etc one has to live with others. 3. When such attacks take place, when Al-qaeda and other terrorists attack take place we do not hear any high profile muslim clerics/priests coming out to denounce such attacks. In fact, some I heard glorify such actions. This gives a very bad impression to others.I do not blame media much for this situation. Media are rather trying to unify the people of the world by bringing the truth and terrorists should be termed terrorists only. This should be clear in the minds of Muslims and their priests alike, which they do, I believe. I have many muslim friends and they are all peace loving and good human beings like others. Those terrorists act should be condemned and be isolated, not to be branded as Muslims.

its always those that shout loudest that get the biggest press coverage. The vast majority of Muslim are peace loving and are disgusted what happens "in their name". However the media manipulates the few incidents of terror and radicalism into a general statement of aggression on the side of Islam. Out of the nearly 1.000.000.000 Muslims in the world - there is only a small percentage that distorts Islam in a way that it results in terror.

its always those that shout loudest that get the biggest press coverage. The vast majority of Muslim are peace loving and are disgusted what happens "in their name".

In most situations I'd have no problems with this line of argument but in the case of 'those shouting loudest', they're not only shouting, they're killing people too. It's a bit hard to point the finger at the media and saying it's all just a beat up when people are getting killed.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

This is not exactly hot news, but it is news and I think it's worth thinking about. According to a recent poll by the Washington Post, more Americans (46%) are having an unfavorable view of Islam, in particular that it encourages violence (33%).

I think this increase is due to the negative information put forth by the media and the politicians, especially recently. Islam, from what I have heard, encourages peace and acceptance, not violence. The media chooses to pay more attention to the extremists instead of Muslims who oppose violence caused by these extremists.

Neither of the religion in its original form can be regarded as bad. they all preach to love people and live in harmony with society. But Islamic clerics in past happened to build masses with corrupt 'Jehadi' mentality. Their idea was to conquer the world and spread Islam by unacceptable means. That is what paying now. With muslim populations getting violent day by day, becoming intolerable to other culture & scociety, converting minorities in their viscinity by force, and increasing their population for misdeeds, there is no doubt other socoeties and religions will turn against them.

This is called 'xenophobia'. A hatred to someone looking stranger. Why stranger, because they don't behave rationally.

Nobody knows how that could be stopped? Possibly with World war III???

This is called 'xenophobia'. A hatred to someone looking stranger. Why stranger, because they don't behave rationally.

That's not quite correct. Xenophobia is the fear of strangers or the unknown, but most often foreigners (which is what the original Greek word means). It's got nothing to do with whether they're behaving rationally or not; they just have to be 'foreign' to the person experiencing the fear.

I do not think that people should think so negativly about people who practice Islam. My uncle is a follower of Islam and he lives a peaceful life in America. People need to stop judging Islam just because of the actions of a few people. You have to meet a person before you can judge them.

Islam fundamentalists who are intolerant to other views of life are generally the ones making the attacks on the western countries. Places like Iran and Syria are led by these such people who boost their own notoriety and prevalence against the "debotchery of the western societies" is ultimately what defines and justifies their actions (terrorists attacks/funding, weapons stockpiling, attacks on foreign buildings, etc...).In North America and Europe, we have a higher standard of living and different cultures all around us which makes everyone more tolerant to other peoples views, as well as a thriving democracy where no one has to be scared to go to jail for what they believe in, or choose to live their lives.Your environment ultimately justifies how the general populace will react to situations that may arise, which in the Middle East is extremely hostile towards foreigners. While in North America and Europe there's nothing to worry about.

I agree that not every single muslim person is a suicide bomber, but honestly, not everyone is some tolerant angel. For example, I'm Jewish, and I go to a public school where it is very diverse. There are a large number of muslims, and I frequently get harrased all the time. Jews and Muslims (most of them, anyway) are just natural enemies. I have never in my fourteen years of life, have encountered one muslim that can see past our differences and just accept me for who I am. I was in Israel last summer, and I gotta tell you guys, it was one hell of a trip. Violence, shootings, bombings, the whole shebang. I know all the christians want Jews and Muslims to coexist peacefully, but its like asking a cat and mouse to live in a room together for the rest of their lives. Its not gonna happen, and if it does, it will probably not be in the near future, because there is a whole cycle of violence that is unlikely to stop. Extremist muslims attack areas with large amounts of jews. Israeli jews are naturally aggressive people. Do you think the israeli government is just gonna sit there and watch their people get killed? Hell no! The israelis will attack, then the arabs, and so on until one of us gets a nuclear bomb and just kaplodes the other side out of existance.

In North America and Europe, we have a higher standard of living and different cultures all around us which makes everyone more tolerant to other peoples views, as well as a thriving democracy where no one has to be scared to go to jail for what they believe in, or choose to live their lives.

Your environment ultimately justifies how the general populace will react to situations that may arise, which in the Middle East is extremely hostile towards foreigners. While in North America and Europe there's nothing to worry about.

That's interesting. So you think that tolerance has something to do with the standard of living? Maybe in better living condition people tend to be less fearful and competitive? What about racism in North America? There is plenty of intolerance, but it's more subtle, not as violent.
Has anyone's opinion changed with the news of Tom Fox, an American activist whose body was found in the dumpster in Iraq today? It made me really sad. He didn't even believe that America should be fighting Iraq.

That's interesting. So you think that tolerance has something to do with the standard of living? Maybe in better living condition people tend to be less fearful and competitive?

Maybe partly. But countries with a higher standard of living attract more migrants from those with a lower standard which means the richer countries end up with more diverse populations than the poorer ones. Whether that diversity ultimately leads to more tolerance I'm not sure.

I agree that not every single muslim person is a suicide bomber, but honestly, not everyone is some tolerant angel. For example, I'm Jewish, and I go to a public school where it is very diverse. There are a large number of muslims, and I frequently get harrased all the time. Jews and Muslims (most of them, anyway) are just natural enemies. I have never in my fourteen years of life, have encountered one muslim that can see past our differences and just accept me for who I am. I was in Israel last summer, and I gotta tell you guys, it was one hell of a trip. Violence, shootings, bombings, the whole shebang. I know all the christians want Jews and Muslims to coexist peacefully, but its like asking a cat and mouse to live in a room together for the rest of their lives. Its not gonna happen, and if it does, it will probably not be in the near future, because there is a whole cycle of violence that is unlikely to stop. Extremist muslims attack areas with large amounts of jews. Israeli jews are naturally aggressive people. Do you think the israeli government is just gonna sit there and watch their people get killed? Hell no! The israelis will attack, then the arabs, and so on until one of us gets a nuclear bomb and just kaplodes the other side out of existance.

Gotta be honest, most of the muslims I know hate Jewish people as well. Fortunately, there are no jewish people around my area, if there were pandemonium would be a result. I don't understand it myself. When ever I've questioned muslims, I've always been told that (and excuse my ignorance here) it's because of attacks carried out by Jews toward muslims. Is it fair to tar them all with the same brush? I think not.
Edited by tt3 (see edit history)