xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
spy_charly

.htaccess File In Hosting Space Modification what happens if i modify it?

hello guys!... i just installed from fantastico joomla and i while i was installing it, it prompt me if i wish to install it on the root directory i should delete the .htaccess that is there, my question is, what happens if i delete the file located there or if i replace the file?Is it going to damage my site, the login or something?

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Title modified.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

if you dont know the .htaccess is basicly the permissions of the files/folders in the dirrectory, and you should over-ride it because since it is asking you to put a new one in it is giving people access to view certin documents that they would not be able to view with a notmal .htaccess

Well, do it as it says!But be sure to make a backup of the existing .htaccess file and then copy the content of that and paste it in the new .htaccess file

Well, do it as it says!But be sure to make a backup of the existing .htaccess file and then copy the content of that and paste it in the new .htaccess file

well if it wants you to over-write the previous ones dont you think it will allready include the previous stuff with the extra stuff that is needed? or do you mean thet if you customized it yourself make sure you put your custom code in with the joomla code? im just doing this for my future reference

ok i will over-write it, i think catfish is right, i dint think the new one will contain the data included in the old one since it is being over-written, ok i will give it a try to see what happens :-), thanx for your help guys!