xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
keysmaker

Gdrive, The Next Google Service Unlimited online storage space, provided by Google

GOOGLE SEEMS inadvertently to have leaked its own plans to offer users unlimited online storage space.

A Powerpoint presentation of a chat given by chief executive Eric Schmidt was posted on Google’s corporate site, According to his presentation, Schmidt announced plans to store "100 percent of users’ information". And according to the now-deleted files, Google thinks that,

With infinite storage, we can house all user files, including e-mails, web history, pictures, bookmarks, etc; and make it accessible from anywhere (any device, any platform, etc).

The leak ressurected rumours of the GDrive, a mythical beast that will mirror the contents of a Googler's hard drive, ostensibly to secure the data ahead of a fatal crash.

Google quickly downed the posting, with a spokesGoog protesting to Reuters that the details were "not intended for publication".

Interesting, i was wondering that from some months ago, thats obvious...., but is going to be interesting the way of having infinite BW as OpaQue said:

is practically impossible to get FREE BW..

and unlimited space.... weird strange concept.... Im confused, right now Gmail is "like" unlimited, maybe he had the answer....... :(
Edited by keysmaker (see edit history)

This is very interesting! Another tiny step for Google and a giant step for mankind :( Other companies are falling behind in the internet technology race (Yahoo!, Microsoft)Google is taking giant leaps and is soon going to have a monopoly over the internet market like MIcrosoft does over the OS market (used to, now ppl realize the beauty of the Mac - i cant afford one tho :()Nice info man

google is really releasing a ton of stuff at a quick rate, i think they have allot more to come, i think they are trying to become the best there is out there and personally i like all of their services except gmail, their layout is a bit odd lol...but i think it is cool they are, they definatly deserve it!!! i cant wait to see this service, it might be a good thing, maybe better than photobucket >_< good catch!!

GOOGLE SEEMS inadvertently to have leaked its own plans to offer users unlimited online storage space.

A Powerpoint presentation of a chat given by chief executive Eric Schmidt was posted on Googles corporate site, According to his presentation, Schmidt announced plans to store "100 percent of users information". And according to the now-deleted files, Google thinks that,

The leak ressurected rumours of the GDrive, a mythical beast that will mirror the contents of a Googler's hard drive, ostensibly to secure the data ahead of a fatal crash.

Did you see that presentation youself? If not, where did you read about this, If not that then you've mentioned about the involvement of reuters, do you have any link to them regarding this news..or is it just that you heard it from someone and have helped him/her in spreading the rumor...I am not denying the fact that GOOGLE can actually comeup with something like this but I was curious to know..about the solidity of the post!

This is very interesting! Another tiny step for Google and a giant step for mankind :(

Other companies are falling behind in the internet technology race (Yahoo!, Microsoft)

Google is taking giant leaps and is soon going to have a monopoly over the internet market like MIcrosoft does over the OS market (used to, now ppl realize the beauty of the Mac - i cant afford one tho :()

Nice info man

It is certainly nice info provided to us. But it is nothing great in technology, They will be using the same technology which are present in the market. The only difference is that they will be MAKING USE of it :(

wait, im confused. this was leaked from a presentation? so are they GOING to do it or not? It will not be free i assume, or that would cost them millions :(

Well, If they are planning it..they may come out with something like this. Most of their services are free and they actually come out with stuff for free only and if at all they charge they do have a smaller version for free if not the full fledged software or service.

I dont think that they'll be worried about the millions it will cost them. They will be worried about the money they'll be making after investing that much amount of money.

this news has been covered intensively during the past few days (at least online). :( and yes, even Google spokeswoman Lynn Fox commented about it already, but only to the point of saying that they were not "intended for publication":

We deleted the slide notes because they were not intended for publication, Google spokeswoman Lynn Fox said. We are constantly working on new ways to enhance our products and services for users, but have nothing to announce at this time. (from BBCNews).

at the very least, it is still a "PLAN" at this point in time. like vapourware -- which may or may not come into actuality -- and only time can tell if google would pursue it for public consumption. :(

It would be quite worried if the entire contents of my hard drive was freely available on Google's servers, even if it was protected by a password. Also, if the service does take off they will have problems getting enough bandwidth and space, especially if people are making daily backups or however it would work. Obviously it isn't totally working yet, otherwise they probably would have released it.

It would be quite worried if the entire contents of my hard drive was freely available on Google's servers, even if it was protected by a password. Also, if the service does take off they will have problems getting enough bandwidth and space, especially if people are making daily backups or however it would work. Obviously it isn't totally working yet, otherwise they probably would have released it.

I understand the security point of stuff and all..but I always fail to understand that why do we think that we are secure on the internet when we are using email (a document which is routed from many servers and is always accecible in between) to share secure and confidential matters!
So, if we can be fine we that..I think most of the people will be fine with that online service. And I am sure google will be giving the option of letting you store your files on the internet..the important once which you may need some where else and which you wont be able to carry in any other storage media (I know it is unlikely, but you may not like to carry any other storage media :() and it will not be saying to store your higly confidential data or entire harddisk on their servers :(

Well, I still stress on my point. BW and Space cannot be free. You are paying it in one form or the other.

I wouldn't be surprised in 5-10 years from now a Superior OS is made by them. If Microsoft employees where smart then start sending their resumes over to google main offices just look at good in the last few years over $9-10 Billion in stock alone I only can imagine what they have thats not in stocks.But yeah even if you paid for the service just look at the gmail hack that was posted a few days ago not everything is secured. But by now google got whiff of it.But about the main subject yeah 1 you will have to pay for that service and that will get expensive the more bw you need and the gigs you need, 2 you might as well let the hacker into your own computer cause all they have to is set up a virus that runs when you either upload or download from the storage computer and finally 3 it only take one dumb mistake to ruin everything remember that.

with the massive storage given to gmail accounts and how they can now log your google chat conversations there too I was expecting them to offer storage of things like bookmarks, photos, files etc using peoples existing gmail space. the way I see it if they were going to give you that space for emails why not for other stuff

wait, im confused. this was leaked from a presentation? so are they GOING to do it or not? It will not be free i assume, or that would cost them millions :(

lol!?, They already have millions, they are going to make that project free, as everyting that came out from Googleplex, also, is a nice concept to bring the technology absolutely dependant from Internet.

Im totally excited with this idea, because is going to be the future of the computers and internet:
Just a Keyboard, mouse and a Monitor that you connect to the internet, And storage, and Os, and applications??...

.....One answer: Gdrive
Edited by keysmaker (see edit history)

I wonder what the limitations of this service will be if it comes out. It will be really awsome if they allow you to host files on there. You could host this gigantic site with a ton of visitors if they let you. We no longer have a use for pen drives we can just use Google if this is not a myth.

I wonder how Google is able to provide such a huge amounts of Space. I can imagine the Datawarehouses of Google distributed thorought the world with Pico Byres of Hard Disk Space and many T1 lines running accross the Globe connecting them.Oops! I feel like fainting. Let me take Some rest! :) Ha ha