xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
MaineFishing45

South Dakota Bans Abortion, Setting Up A Battle Good Work...Lets have a Vote?

Article found @: Click

----------------
Commentary
----------------

Since I am of the Catholic Faith ( :( )... I think that it was right for them to stop Abortions and such, because your taking the life of someone that is living and thats 1st Degree Murder and Manslaughter. Since I'm fromt he US there is a big debate and stuff, but whats the UK's ( :( ) reaction?

--------
Artice
--------

Gov. Michael Rounds of South Dakota signed into law the nation's most sweeping state abortion ban on Monday, an intentional provocation meant to set up a direct legal challenge to Roe v. Wade, the 1973 United States Supreme Court decision that made abortion legal.
South Dakota's Governor Says He Favors Abortion Ban Bill (February 25, 2006)

Ban on Most Abortions Advances in South Dakota (February 23, 2006) The law makes it a felony to perform any abortion except in a case of a pregnant woman's life being in jeopardy. Though the law is not scheduled to go into effect until July, officials working at the state's only abortion clinic, in Sioux Falls, where about 800 abortions take place each year, said they spent much of the day consoling women.

Well S.D. is under some pressure with people who are for abortion and against it. Some say its against there Consitutional Right to ban it, but then other say its murder of a living human being. This is what the gov. said.

"In the history of the world, the true test of a civilization is how well people treat the most vulnerable and most helpless in their society," the governor said. "The sponsors and supporters of this bill believe that abortion is wrong because unborn children are the most vulnerable and most helpless persons in our society. I agree with them."

While the opposing team whats to veto it they need to collect 16,728 signature for it to be delayed till next November and voted on by the people. People have many diferent views on the is issue, but some say its a said day for a women and others say its a new begining for America.

Article: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

At the very least, this will push an abortion rights case for the supreme court to make an official decision.Wether you are for or apposed to abortion, there is just nor eason to outlaw it. It's a moral question. I don't agree with it. I know there are circumstances where I would get an abortion, but those arguments are mute and apply to everyone.The only thing I see anyone posing a VALID argument for is when someone gets raped. Should they be allowed to have an abortion? I can't answer this question for anyone else. I would not have one. I would not be able to face that child daily, seeing the face of the rapist in him and knowing I did not want or make this child willingly. I would not deprive it of life, though. I would opt to adopt him out, and ensure that the adoption home and the home of the person who recieves him is worthy of a child.The thing that recently came up that I laugh at is the argument that a rapist has the rights to see their child and obtain custody. So many people are angry at that. The thing is, even if htey made it legal, they still would not be able to. I mean, look at current laws on people who commit crimes on that level, and how that affects their custody rights in a battle where the kid was not created through rape. Two seperate issues; custody rights and rape trials. The mane would not get to see their kid unsupervised even if he did not rape the kids mother for him. I think they would apply the same ruling to if they did.A person who commits a crime is limited on their custody rights, if they get them at all. That is not going to change just because they RAPED the mother instead of raping someone else and not producing a child.

I don't agree with this at all! What ever happened to women having the right to what happens in their own bodies. There are some very good reasons for having abortions, and I don't think that 'if the woman's life is in danger' is the only one.Think about all those young people getting pregnant. Sure, it's not the best thing in the world, to get to that point, obviously there's been some wrong choices made, but I don't really believe that some of these people are old enough to properly look after the child they will be having. I know this from experiance, because I have several friends that have had children at way too early an age, and even relatives that have done the same. They've all had to give up on continuing school at least for the time being. Several of them have ended up getting pregnant again, which they really couldn't afford, and most of them are single mothers on welfare. That is not a place that a child should have to grow up.So lets just say you have to have the baby now... because it's a law, that doesn't mean you have to keep it. You could always give it up for adoption. Sure, it's not a good situation for the baby, to not know who it's real parents are, and sure, there'd be a lot more babies going into orphanages... but that's okay, we are just accomodating for a law right...? Also, what about women that have been raped? Should they have to suffer through a pregnancy that just brings back all the bad memories if they do not wish to do so?I really think that it should be up to the women facing these issues, and not some government who quite frankly, shouldn't have the power to undo so many years in female law advancements.I hope that some people realize that before abortion was legal, many girls would perform it on themselves, in a very unsafe way, and several ended up not being able to have children ever again, while others even died.As for the most vulnerable and helpless in society argument, couldn't you even go as far as to say, a female's egg is the beginnings of a child, so for each egg that we don't fertilize and have grow up, we are essentially killing a human being? Let's just have every woman's eggs harvested, and fertilized and make all these tiny babies grow up, over populate the world, and be done with it.I should give up now... I realize that this is basically a big long unfocussed rant, but I hate it when governments take away the rights of their people, no matter what group of people they happen to be.So yes, I can definately say that I'm against it. Women should have the right to choose when it comes to their own bodies.

I think the whole "woman's life in danger" argument is moot. I mean, that's a given. Do you meet anyone who disagrees with an abortion even if the mother would die to give birth? I have not. Anyone who puts that argument on the floor as a reason to spat with someone or a reason why that person's beliefs are wrong is just hitting a wall.I think it is the persons body. I don't think people should have sex if they cannot PROPERLY care for what COULD result. Birth control I agree with wholey. Use it. That does not mean have sex if you don't want kids or can't pay for one. Even that stuff has its flaws and has that 1% chance. Is lust that important to you? Grow up.

im a kind of in between the issue I think abortion is only appropriate in the extreme cases, but if your dumb enough not to plan out the whole having a child or using protection then thats your fault. If you can't handle it put the baby up for adoption so someone who want to take care of a child will do you it for you.But you have to remember though most of goverment is like 90% catholic and the other 10% are religions and of course knowing bush dumb@ZZ he will be like rock on or something like that.

Bush has very little if any say on this topic. You don't elect presedents based on their views on abortion and environment concerns. That's just stupid.I don't agree that if you are dumb enough not to consider the consequences its your fault. You are then taking it out on the child too. Granted, abortion is doing the same thing, but I would rather see a baby put out of its misery than have to live in an abusive environment. Abusive constitutes physical, mental, emotional, and any thing that hinders its advancement in society (ie: parents sticking you infront of the TV instead of preschool or sending you to DayCare while their **bottom** goes out drinking).

Abortion should be illegal in every state period. Good job SD. A baby SHOULD NEVER "BE TAKEN OUT OF ITS MISERY". So we're just not even going to give that baby a chance. Lucky for all of us then eh?, that we were granted the "chance" to live.God is supposed to make these decisions on whether a child lives or not, not us...it's totally ridiculous.

The only thing I see anyone posing a VALID argument for is when someone gets raped. Should they be allowed to have an abortion? I can't answer this question for anyone else. I would not have one. I would not be able to face that child daily, seeing the face of the rapist in him and knowing I did not want or make this child willingly. I would not deprive it of life, though. I would opt to adopt him out, and ensure that the adoption home and the home of the person who recieves him is worthy of a child.

You have a very valid argument with the case. I mean this is really why Church and State should be seperate. I mean extreme cases yes, but because you have sex and don't use protection, and you have a baby and don't want no.... thats your fault not the childs and you shoud put them up for adoption and stuff, not kill them off.... thats pure evil! :( Thats like taking this board and mass deleting members because they post in the Vent or [FIR] all the time or something stupid like that. :(

Its something that is a personal question and is very hard to decide. And when the Supreme Court gets pressured by someone, the arguements are going to burn up and fingers will be pointed... so its only a madder of time before it ignites the battle! :(

------

Edit

------

Added caps, fixed spelling errors...

Edited by MaineFishing45 (see edit history)

To the people who say they would rather see children put away than live a life of abuse, listen to yourself!! It is sad that children have to grow up in abusive environments. But what's sadder is someone saying that they would rather see a child die than grow up like that. If you can see a child in such an environment, would you cross your arms, look the other way, and tell your friends that this is the reason why abortions should be legal? Isn't the more humane thing to do is to help the child? Be a positive influence? I don't agree with this reason for getting an abortion. It's like saying, "I know I'm going to fail as a parent, so I won't even try." How many times have we given up something before we even try? This is not how it should be! Raising a child will be hard, but not impossible. We also have the option to put up the child for adoption. There are plenty of people out there who can't have children. There are people who would rather sit at home and shake their heads at the way things are. If you feel sorry for the children, go help them. Become a mentor, a teacher. There are plenty out there who needs help. Put your money where your mouth is.

Edited by Kim (see edit history)

But what's sadder is someone saying that they would rather see a child die than grow up like that. If you can see a child in such an environment, would you cross your arms, look the other way, and tell your friends that this is the reason why abortions should be legal? Isn't the more humane thing to do is to help the child? Be a positive influence?

Thats why abortions should not even exist, whether you want the kid or not, EVERYONE deservese a CHANCE to be rasied in a semi-decent enviorment, and can excel in what they like in life. I have been raised well, and have a supportive family and such, and so should most people. You can't really help yourself when your young, thats why you have to have caring parents, and if they make that decision to not do squat, then at least use your COMMEN SENSE and give the kid up for adoption, so that someone that CARES can take care of the baby (child, kid ect...) so that they grow up in a supportive enviorment and make something of there life.

I don't agree with this reason for getting an abortion. It's like saying, "I know I'm going to fail as a parent, so I won't even try."

Some people are really stuborn, like with my spanish grade (D+)... I can't do it. Same thing with parents, I mean people in todays world give up, too easy. And I am the first to admit it, If I want something I will work my *bottom* off to get it, but other beg for money, and stuff. Now where it fits in here, some parents (muh... people :( ) don't care about there kid, so they neglect them and CPS comes and puts them in a better place, otherwise they are SMART and give them up for foster care, or adoption and stuff. But the bottom line is, don't kill.

This is what an abortion means, you don't what the kid, so you decide to kill them, with an injected drug. For all you know, when this kid gets older they could have the cure to Cancer and Aids, and stuff like that. They have the potential to do things and discover things that we have yet to learn about. But still, don't kill a living child, just because they are not outside and living on there own, does not mean they are not living at all. Thanks.

Thats why abortions should not even exist, whether you want the kid or not, EVERYONE deservese a CHANCE to be rasied in a semi-decent enviorment

and if they make that decision to not do squat, then at least use your COMMEN SENSE and give the kid up for adoption, so that someone that CARES can take care of the baby (child, kid ect...) so that they grow up in a supportive enviorment and make something of there life.

dude the key words in there is semi-decent environment, uncaring foster homes and orphanages, growing up and turing into rapists and murderers.

"God" is supposed to choose who lives or dies? well maybe he is choosing for all these aborted babies to die because they are satans spawn and by banning abortions you are going to let them take over. sorry i'll stop ranting, god doesn't exist anyway.

I think that this is a step in the right direction as far as this issue goes. I think that it is wrong to have an abortion because of the fact the baby already have some of their sences in the time you are allowed to have an abortion. The baby is going to be a person when it is born so it should have those rights before it is born. I hope other states follow in South Dakota's footsteps.

Most of the lawmakers are male, including the Governor. What gives them the right to legislate what a woman can do with her own body? Should we return to the dark ages when women were just seen as breeding stock? If a woman has a promising career or is studying her behind off to make something of herself, good for her. Should some rapist's lust make her leave school or work for several months, so she can carry his unwanted offspring? Shouldn't women have the choice of who they want to breed with? Sure, a fetus is alive, but so are plants and animals, and we kill them for food. A fetus reacts on an instinctive level, like a plant or an animal. It is not a person, it's a living thing with some basic instincts. Before it's born, it's not a person, it's just a living bunch of cells that could grow into a person if the pregnancy goes well, and there's no abortion.I do not like the idea of third term abortions, though. That's just cruel. Make up your mind if you want to have it or not before the last trimester. The only way we can outlaw abortions would be to have people spayed or neutered, just like animals. Spay all rapists, so they can't breed. Why not do the same with child molesters, junkies, violent or abusive people, etc. while we're at it? Of course, Hitler was a firm believer in having undesirables "fixed" or killed so they couldn't breed. So unless you agree with Hitler, we can't go that route. Which means an intelligent successful woman who doesn't have the option of abortion could be forced to breed with any man through rape. Guys, how would you like your mother, sister, daughter, wife, fiancee or girlfriend forced to have a rapist's child? Ladies, would you want to be forced to breed with a rapist, and carry his child, putting your career or education on the sidelines until it was born?Quite a few women who are raped are so traumatized, they commit suicide. Pregnancy causes hormonal changes which can lead to depression, increasing the chance of suicide. And post-partum depression is a well known side effect of pregnancy, also sometimes causing suicide. So maybe the mother's life is in danger, just not the way you think.As for God's will, if you believe in God(s), you know they also gave humans free will. So the choice should be up to the woman, not the government. As for rapists seeing their kids, or gaining custody of them, rape is a sex crime. Sex crime offenders have to be registered, and are not allowed to associate with children. So why give them an underage victim to molest in private? That's just crazy. Criminal rights just go too far these days. Like if a burglar breaks into your house, trips over your kid's toy at the top of the stairs, and falls down and hurts himself he can sue you over it. There's an example of a bad law for you. The government doesn't always make good laws, so why let them decide what women can do with their wombs? The only way I can see requiring women to carry unwabted children for a while is if it's not rape or incest, the father wants the child, and they can plant the fetus in a surrogate mother or artificial womb. That way she won't be forced to carry it for long, just until they can move it, hopefully within a week or two.