xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FLaKes

Image Optimization? Anybody have some info or tutorials on Image Optimization?

Hi, Im am to present the subject: Image Optimization in class this saturday, Ive have already started searching and Investigating all the info I can get from google and places like P2L, but If you happen to know something about the subject, or know some really good tutorials about it please reply. Thanks in advance. :(

I wouldn't have thought there's much to it - the idea is to produce the best-looking image at the smallest file size. Sometimes you'll choose GIF, sometime JPEG and sometimes PNG. Sometimes you'll need to sacrifice a bit of image quality for reduced file size.

There is a software named Irfanview which is available as a free download which is a very useful tool for saving pictures in various formats and it allows for resizing images and adjusting colour depths and jpeg quality, etcetera.
Their Homepage is here.

There is a software named Irfanview which is available as a free download which is a very useful tool for saving pictures in various formats and it allows for resizing images and adjusting colour depths and jpeg quality, etcetera.

Their Homepage is here.

Yeh Irfanview. I really love the thumbnail option so you can cruise through all your graphics with great ease. Also the batch conversion option for converting, optimizing, resizing, reducing dpi and renaming many files at once. I use this program all the time and find it the handiest ever.

Yeh Irfanview. I really love the thumbnail option so you can cruise through all your graphics with great ease. Also the batch conversion option for converting, optimizing, resizing, reducing dpi and renaming many files at once. I use this program all the time and find it the handiest ever.

I agree wholeheartedly! This is an amazing little program, I still can't believe that it's free. I'm sure the big software houses must have approached the author to buy the rights for it. The ONLY drawback I can find with it is it does not seem to display PNG files very well.

It seems you did very well after all Flakes, Roc?o told me she was getting very good comments about this course. By the way, this was suposed to be an Optimization Course, so its not always about getting the best quality with the lowest file size, because, depending on the media for which it is meant, you will sometimes need to have a bif file size, due to the quality of the image, which in that case will be the priority.Congrats Flakes! I'm looking forward to the next semester in which there will be more courses and maybe you can come up with a subject of your choice to include in the program.

Further on Image viewing and optimization programs, I found another that I think might even rival Irfanview. It's called FastStone Image Viewer, it's free for home use and it displays PNG files correctly. If you're into slideshows, it has some awesome tools for slideshows. In addition, it can also edit files similar to Irfanview, including text, shapes, arrows and overlaying other images on top of the original. It's well worth a look, their web site is here.

Edited by Avalon (see edit history)