xisto Community
trekken

How Many Of Us Here Contemplate The Meaning Of Life?

Maybe it's just me, or my personality type (INFP) but I am constantly looking at the meaning ofthings, themes, people and relationships. It is vastly a part of who I am, but I was just wondering howmany of you here in this forum think about the same things. Do you wonder about where you are going and where you have been and where you are going to end up? Do you ever wonder if your dreams are going to be fulfilled and how do you go about getting what you want?Are there some things in your life that you find more fulfilling or are there things that you do when you feel down? For me sometimes I write poetry, sometimes I write music. Sometimes I think about things that make me happy to try to get me through to the next best place. And when I am working hard toward my future and it seems too hard, I try to imagine what it is going to be like when I have accomplished my goal or goals.I am deeply philosophical in nature-any thoughts or posts would be greatly appreciated.

if by Contemplate The Meaning Of Life, you mean wonder if i should continue your life...then yes i have thought about it..but then i thought about all of the good things i have done.. and about all the people that love me and what they have done to make my life better..but if you mean Contemplate The Meaning Of Life, as in question why some things are ment to go a seperate way etc..yes i have as well done that..when i feel down i look for someone to make me laugh and get my mind off of the subject because if i dont then i will think about it forever even if i try to stop thinking about it myself and it wont work....

I do it from time to time. I am always wondering why I am here and stuff like that. I always wonder what is life and is there anything after life. What is wrong and what is right and if good people are so good, then how come bad things happen to them. These are some really hard questions, along with if there is a god, I wonder if there is...

I sometimes think to myself whether our lives are planned out and we are all controlled, or whether we have free will and can do whatever we want. I also wonder if we have a purpose, if there is something we have to do or should be doing, or if we are left to our own theories and ideas. So far I haven't come up with anything that makes a great amount of sense.

(Ignoring 42...)I don't usually wonder about the meaning of life, but just HOW and WHY life exists. Like, I'll randomly look around and see random stuff that we take for granted like electricity and computers and shelves and tables and cars and other junk and I'll think about how we have all of this. How is it that little atoms came together to attatch other little atoms to each other and create a rocket or a padlock even?Gah that's not quite what I mean, but I don't know how to explain it since I'm not in that kind of mood right now. :\

I've spent the greater part of my life doing nothing but wondering its purpose. Sometimes I conclude that the meaning of my life is to discover its meaning.Perhaps the answer to the meaning of life is so important because the answer will determine how one should act and do with one's life. Therefore there is no greater question than the meaning of life.Is there a meaning to life? Should we assume that our lives are a means to an end?

Maybe it's just me, or my personality type (INFP) but I am constantly looking at the meaning ofthings, themes, people and relationships. It is vastly a part of who I am, but I was just wondering how
many of you here in this forum think about the same things. Do you wonder about where you are going and where you have been and where you are going to end up? Do you ever wonder if your dreams are going to be fulfilled and how do you go about getting what you want?

Are there some things in your life that you find more fulfilling or are there things that you do when you feel down? For me sometimes I write poetry, sometimes I write music. Sometimes I think about things that make me happy to try to get me through to the next best place. And when I am working hard toward my future and it seems too hard, I try to imagine what it is going to be like when I have accomplished my goal or goals.

I am deeply philosophical in nature-any thoughts or posts would be greatly appreciated.

Well, Trekken, I'm not the right person to address this type of question. I can't find a meaning to Life as such, in general terms. For example, God is to my sight so elusive a notion that I would be at pains to say it is The Answer, although I'm a believer myself.

I can give you a personal tip, though. It's how things seem to work to give a meaning to Life. Oddly enough the simple answer is : Love. Admittedly, Love can assume strange shapes, indeed. Also, you have to take into account Love's dark shadow which is Hatred.

Earth is circling 'round the Sun just to abide an elementary form of Love which is called gravitation. So do the stars congregating in beautiful galaxies.

The first cell, as we know them, that ever came up alive seems to have been a combination of TWO separate "things" that put their resources in common for the best or the worst. I like to think that each and every cell in my organism is the result of some kind of love between two entities totally alien to one another.

Even diseases like cancer seem to proceed from a somewhat exaggerated kind of love. Haphazzardly multiplicated cells with the wrong DNA look to me like some cells start *fuc...* around without a purpose, as some of their human counterparts do. Replication in cells is blindingly a Love mechanism.

I can't think of any kind of relationship in this World which doesn't bring up the matter of Love (and Hatred).

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not a late follower of the "Peace and Love" things of the '70's. I'm simply expressing what life taught me. If this world of ours is to survive at all, it will come through Love.

Sorry if this can appear somewhat obscure. Please feel free to object, all of you folks.

Cheers :(

Hmm... love... interesting. Maybe it is the answer to life (although my band teacher says it is 8... Never expect them to give real answers.) I mean, if you didn't have love, why would you want to do anything? You'd be bored and would want to end your life. I agree with ongnoai.

meaning of life is to die.ying yang, y'know. :)if something is living, it is meant to die. whatever it does while it awaits the enevitable is up to personal choice. Trying to extend one's life, having a family, passing along genes, contemplating meaning of anything and everything, etc. it all leads to one thing. thus the meaning of life is to end life.

Is a human being's meaning of life one that supercedes that of the other animals we share this world with ? I don't think so. Simply because our intellect is much greater that a bear or wolf does not mean that we are special beings and deserve a greater existence. We just like any other animal are born. We breed to ensure our genes gets passed on, we raise a family to ensure their education and survival in the world, and we die just like any other warm blooded animal on this world.

Hmm...I just came back from church and though many people might condemn me for doing this, I always seem to drift off and start thinking about things related to this topic. You could call it 'meditation.' =)Anyway, sometimes I think we're all in a huge doll's house and I'm just walking and doing things, with a big pair of hands moving me around. It's like what I'm seeing is not really real because I'm just another plastic doll in the big doll's house and everything is controlled -a controlled environment. It's a weird thought I know, but I talked about it one day to a friend of mine and she said that she had the same weird idea as I did! :)

i just can talk about my meaning of life... mine is simply using all my potencial... all that i can to help others. that's mine :)i write poetry too and now i'm trying to create a community of poets, by my site, where everyone is welcome to express their thoughts, ideas, poems and the like... for now it's just portuguese but if i ever translate and make it to english i'll tell you about it if you like. :)To speak the truth i don't believe much in love between two people, because mostly people are together because of complicate relationships, complicate thoughts, complicate feelings and attraction. there's not much love, though i am still a romantic i don't believe that the world has much care for my notions of love lol sad but true... :\and in this life i just want to use everything i can, to be everything i can, and create as much as i can, so i can help others... that's my meaning...like a quotation in the lord of the rings that is something like this..."I give hope to others but i leave none for me..." pretty basically that lolcheers

Edited by sasuki (see edit history)

yeah...lately i have been thinking in all this, it seems as if we are playing in a theater, the story has already been written and we just star the role of the character.My very short time of life tells me, i preffer the idea that everything i do is just written, the good news are, you gotta live with the role you are playing, cos if you are not then you'll have difficulties understading why you are the way you are or why you have to do all that what you are doing.And it doesnt mean anything linked to the religion but it is something everyone thinks, what if my life is already written or is already defined?

I have "pondered" over this sort of thing throughout the entirety of my elementary school years, and I continuously think about it in my life right now. I have to say though, it's not as much the meaning of life that gets me, but rather the meaning of death. Life isn't hard to imagine at all, we experience it ALL THE TIME (literally... almost). However, Death. Death is mysterious. We aren't aware of our ability, or inability, to know what death is like. We aren't able to, or if we are we are completely unaware of the fact, communicate with those who have moved on out of life into death. So Death seems a lot more interesting to me rather than life, because I know all about life. I'm participating in life right now.