xisto Community
keysmaker

Plasma Monitors Vs Lcd Monitors the true history and risks behind this new technology

What do you prefer LCD or PLASMA?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

well, i sure that you recently heard about LCD and Plasma monitors, but .... do you know whats the diference between them, well, its HUGE and you must be very careful if you are going to buy one of these:

1- Life span, the number of viewing hours a monitor provides before dimming to half brightness, is one of the biggest advantages LCD has over plasma. Though the numbers vary among the different brands, plasma displays generally offer around 20,000 hours, while LCD sets last for up to 50,000 hours.

Point for LCD

2- One of plasma technology's known issues is something called burn-in. It happens when your television shows a still image or an icon for so long that its "ghost" remains on the screen. For example, if a stock ticker or a news crawl continuously runs along the bottom of your display, that strip may be burned into your set. To their credit, LCDs don't suffer from burn-in, nor do they have troubles at high altitudes, where the air-pressure differential causes plasmas to emit an irritating buzzing sound. So, if you live at the top of a mountain, we don't recommend that you get a plasma, though some manufacturers are selling special sets that they claim are immune to the problem.

Another Point for LCD

3- A general rule of thumb is that plasmas deliver better home-theater performance than LCDs. The difference is due mostly to the fact that LCD monitors typically can't display black as well as plasmas; it ends up closer to dark gray. That shortcoming decreases the amount of detail you can see in the shadows and ultimately leaves the picture looking less three-dimensional.

Point for Plasma monitor

Price-to-size ratioWhile neither LCD nor plasma monitors are a bargain, on a price-per-square-inch basis, plasmas currently have the edge. Look at it this way: technically, a 42-inch plasma gives you almost twice as much screen real estate as a 30-inch LCD panel, but they both go for about US$3,000. By 2005, you may see 37-inch LCDs hitting that price, but larger versions (50 inches or more) won't cost the same as their plasma equivalents for a while.

Point for........well, this depends if you want size or quality...

For me the winner is LCD, because the burn-in risk is something really bad if you pay $3.000 for a Plasma monitor of 42" against $1,279.99 for a LCD of 32"
The final decision is yours...

I prefer LCD as I think they have better quality than plasmas, and also people seem to have better experiences with them, whereas people with plasmas tend to send them back every few months due to screen-burn, dead pixels or the whole screen becoming extra dull/bright.

Useful bit of information this. I knew one of them caused burn in but wasn't sure which. I'll try and remember this for the future when I get a TV of my very own.

Thanks for the information keysmaker. Pretty interesting, as i don't even consider plasmas i didn't know of the burn-in effect but i knew about kuilcky loosing contrast due to the gas inside and thus colours get diluated so no more real black and i've hured they have overheating problems and suck a lot of energy. So they're not for me.But aren't TFTs more technologically advanced than LCDs? Why wouldn't i prefer a TFT over both :( ?

Plasma displays have lesser Life times than LCD and also have the burn-in problem.LCD Displays too have shorter lifetime. The display response time is still very less compared to that of CRTs. So it is not suitable heavy graphics intesive works.So I stickon with my CRT until someone produces a LCD with better respose time and great graphics support and longer life time.

We have a Dell 19" LCD and it works just fine. I mean I play games and do work. Run some webstuff. But with that and Firefox on everything looks sharper than on my school laptop. But I mean LCDs are good b/c they aren't "that" (:() expesive and stuff, but they do last longer than Plasmas and Plasmas break down a lot, my friends just burned out after a month and he was calling up support on it....

yeah, you may get better quality for a plasma, but it's not worth it. It's more expensive, and then you have to get a new one every time you need one, plus most LCDs are around the price of a CRT, so it's much better to get an lcd, plus most double as TVs too.

thanks for the read, i'm not that familiar yet with plasma displays so for now I cannot speak for it yet. I do have an LCD though and so far it has not given me any problem yet so I'm pretty satisfied for now, maybe if I'm in the market for new display device then I'll check plasma out.

i didnt know about the burn in problem and i still preferred lcds. i just think the imge quality on an lcd is better. whe you go up close to a plasma its all pixelated but that doesnt seem to be teh case with lcd screens. the only reason i see for a plasma over lcd is the fact that they're usually alot bigger.

my laptop which i am on now has an lcd screen, it attracts loads of dust and other bits just fly onto the screen, i'd much rather prefer a plasma screen to an LCD screen, although LCD screens can be cleaned i've been told Plasma screens dont even need that, just a wipe every now and again. Also when u look at an LCD screen at an angle the colours change.

Plasma generally has better illumination but LCD has much higher resolution. Plasma also burns out much quicker then LCD and is a little bit more expensive then LCD. LCD also has higher contrast. I think the future of flat TV lies in LCD, instead of plasma. There are many 1920 x 1080 LCD monitors out there in the market now but plasma still has to catch up

Edited by T100 (see edit history)

Ergh, Pardon Me But what's HD/TV ?! Is it plasma or LCD or something else?!I really don't have time to search for info, and i find this post great couse i intend to buy something bigger for my computer.I thought of 1m diagonal for monitor, and i don't know what to buy..What are resolutions they display?If i would have 1m TV for computer display it has to have at least 1024x768?Do you think is it smarter to buy BIG LCD for computer or just plain 19'' ? Thanks.. :PIt really bothers my eyes, when sitting long so i thought to buy bigger so i can be at least 2-3-4 meters away from monitor

Matak, HDTV is high-definition. 19" is actually quite large. It's about as big asd they get and still be called a monitor. and thing past that is probably going to be called a TV.I'm happy with my tiny 15" HP LCD. works great for what I do. (Little gaming, mostly web-surfing)The only problem is it doesn't go past 1024x768... It's very crisp, fast, way easier on my eyes than the old CRT, and has an auto-adjust feature. (Life saver when something is way off - and it gets the page EXACTLY to the edges of the screen - so you can use it all)I'll probably never get a plasma now. Knowing the burn in issue, I wouldn't risk it. I leave my computer on most nights, and if something were to pop up and keep the screensaver from coming on/monitor from auto-shutoff, it would be done. Which would bite.So yeah - I'm perfectly happy with my LCD. Great monitor if a little small.

well, i sure that you recently heard about LCD and Plasma monitors, but .... do you know whats the diference between them, well, its HUGE and you must be very careful if you are going to buy one of these:Point for LCD
Another Point for LCD
Point for Plasma monitor
Point for........well, this depends if you want size or quality...

For me the winner is LCD, because the burn-in risk is something really bad if you pay $3.000 for a Plasma monitor of 42" against $1,279.99 for a LCD of 32"
The final decision is yours...

tats a good 1 dude.....i love plasme as it is big and costly!!!