xisto Community
master_bacarra

Do You Believe In Dreams! what is your opinion

i know that dreams are representations of our subconcious and i know that they have a hidden meaning that we are left to discover for ourselves. but in my case, there were times that i have dreams that later on happen in real life, just like a premonition or something.

recently, i dreamt that a family of a friend of mine were mourning. when i asked what happened, i "remembered" that my friend died from an accident and her mother was in the hospital because she was in comatose (apparently she was included in the accident along with my friend). the reason why this dream really disturbed me a lot was because it involved a friend of mine. and it's freaky because sometimes the dreams that seemed to be realistic usually happens like a few days, months or years later. i just hope it wouldn't happen.

i quoted remembered in the statement above because the dream seemed to occur like a few days after the accident.

Notice from mayank:
Please make sure that you are using descriptive topic title & description

Dream symbol: death

death, die, dying, died

Interpretation:

A death within a dream usually denotes imminent or current transformation, a new birth or a new beginning

Completion, ending, finality

Something that needs to released or changed

Dreaming of the dead may suggest suppressed grief

Given that spouses serve as powerful mirrors, dreaming of the death of a spouse may symbolize dying to unwanted personal traits or aspects of self, which are usually perceived as the spouse's shortcomings

Although the interpretation of death is rarely this literal, it may indicate an actual death of someone, or anxiety about the possibility thereof

well, i hope it it's something about the first three, but if that's the case, why do i have to dream about the person? i mean, i don't have any direct connection to the person's transformation, new beginning etc. if it meant the second one, i don't think i would be ending our friendship sooner because we've been friends since i don't know when.

whatever the meaning of the dream is, i just hope it's not literal. i wouldn't know how i would react if the same event happened in real life.

I think that dreams certainly have a lot to do with your life. If things happen in your life that have a big impact on it or make you think a lot. I think it is very likely to be reflected in your dreams. I dont think you made it quite clear if your firend had an accident in real life or in your dream. If it was in real life i am very sorry. But it shows that dreams do have a lot to do with your real life. What i do not belive in is dreams being some kind of prophesy or however you spell it. I mean if somethings happen to you in real life. and then you dream about it. i think thats logical. But if you lets say dream your going to have an accident, i dont belive its says that your going to have an acceident in real life. And ergo i dont belive you can really interpret dreams as to what is going to happen to you in real life. Maybe you can interpret things about yourself. about your feelings, about your character. but certainly not about your futur. anyways thats my thoughts on it. what do you think?

I used to go out with someone who honestly believed that most things he dreamt would come true, at some point in time. It was pretty stupid, but I was smart enough not to argue that with him.. couldn't hurt to let him go on thinking his dreams had prophetic properties. One time he dreamt that he was at my wedding, and I was marrying another guy. He was actually mad at me for a few days because he thought that I would end up marrying someone other than him...Keep in mind that we were both 17 at the time. Marraige was not particularly the first thing on my mind. Thinking back on it, I don't think it'd be a good idea to marry someone when you can't tell them when they're being really stupid about something.Anyways. Yeah, its true that what happens in a dream can sometimes happen later on in real life. But chances are, its just a coincidence. I mean, sure, some time in the near or distant future, some old guy might come in to the pool with some giant flying fish and forget to take them home with him later, like I dreamt the other day, but the possibility is pretty slim. I don't think dreams can tell the future, or cause the future, though they can help you realize what you have that you wouldn't want to lose. They might be able to tell you what you really want, subconsiously, I'm kindof undecided on that one. Its better to think about something when you're awake and find out what you want that way, than to rely on a dream, anyways..

i think your dreams sometimes reflect your real life...but sometimes it doesnt...i hear people dream everytime they go to sleep but they just dont rmemeber them most the time...heh ive even heard that you can actually die from a dream somehow...but i dont believe that...but its amazing how dreams are becuase lke i could b sleepin for like 8 hours stright and remember a dream that seemed to happen for lke 5 mins and wake up n then just fall back to sleep for lke 5 mins and and actaully dream for about that 5 mins...and sometimes i feel like you can control what happens in your dream if u concentrate on your mind n think things that you think is about to happen...but sometimes it feels like you cant control yourself and things just happen...pfft dreams are weird...

This is interesting. I believe dreams can show what is in your mind sometimes. For example, if you are very worried about exam result, you might dream about it etc.But sometimes i don't know....sometimes dreams just don't tell anything. So just don't worry about it too much.There's a chinese (or other east Asian country, I can't remember) belief that : if you dream that someone dies..you just extend their life for them. :lol:

I'd have to echo "peaktaos" thoughts in regard to showing dreams from a persons mind. Especially if being under stress, dilemma, a sticky situation and so on.But generally, imo, I dont worry a lot about dreams. Considering many dreams could be about nothing at times, and there are the ones that have meaning as described by the posters above.

i tend to believe dreams are but bits and pieces of our consciousness, which surfaces in our minds when we sleep. sometimes, it can be because we subconsciously have it in our minds during our waking times yet we are not fully aware of it or not fully focused on it. then it manifests itself during sleep since mind tends to "replay" our subconscious thoughts.

dreams are segmented, as well, like a weird comic strip jumping from one scene to another, yet without apparent connection. like if you're dreaming you are riding in a boat on sea, then the next scene you dream is eating an apple under a shade of tree. they don't make sense most of the time. and only vivid dreams sometimes stick in our memory upon waking up.

ever wonder why we dream sometimes but sometimes not? perhaps our physical and mental condition dictates that. stress and anxiety sometimes bring about bad dreams. yet i don't subscribe to by-the-book interpretations on dreams, since i believe we ourselves can find a meaningful interpretation by our own personal experiences which differ from person to person.

speaking of dreams, do you dream in colors or black and white? come on, think! :lol:

It's strange, but dreams often have the reverse meanings to what they seem to mean. For example, me and my mother both once had a dream about fire killing me and my brother. We both woke up shortly after the dream, terrified, until we consulted the dream dictionary and found that it fortelled of good luck.I'm still neutral about whether to believe dreams, but oftentimes I have had dreams of an event that happens the morning after. And now I have had dreams of puzzles (http://forums.xisto.com/topic/34250-a-puzzle-i-dreamt-of-can-you-help-me-find-an-answer/). I feel I am required to answer them. And this makes me think about the matter seriously.

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

i think dream is a way for your subconcious to satisfy your inner most desire. Think of wet dream for an example. lol not to get perverted... but i think the reason why you have wet dreams is because you're desiring for pleasure.... lolyou could learn how to have lucid dreams... then you could do whatever you want ... without any consequences. For those that don't know what lucid dreams is.... lucid dream is when the dreamer is able to control what going on in their dreams. So you could.... rob the bank without fearing the police coming to your house. =P. Random fact. a person can only dream when he/her is in a REM stage.

Some of my dreams I believe. Like later in life I recognize something or feel that I've seen it before somewhere and I knew I wasn't awake seeing stuff like that. So it must of been in my dreams. Sort of like Dejavu or something. Some say they predict the future. I think its only part true. I know they're just bits and pieces of your subconcious that leaks into images in your head, but I guess somehow they appear prophetic for me. I guess i'm just weird. Well sometimes if the dreams are really bizarre like me marrying my best friend then that would be not real at all or will never happen. lol.

speaking of dreams, do you dream in colors or black and white? come on, think! :P

I'm pretty sure I dream in full color ;) I mean, when I wake up I feel like I've just walked out a film theatre. Yesterday, I dreamt I was denied attendence because I walked in late to class... talk of having an overpowering college life!! I usually dream about being stuck in a maze and not being able to get out. I also end up dreaming, often, about an extension of what happened the same day in my so-called real life :lol: Wonder what that could mean...

I think that dreams certainly have a lot to do with your life. If things happen in your life that have a big impact on it or make you think a lot. I think it is very likely to be reflected in your dreams. I dont think you made it quite clear if your firend had an accident in real life or in your dream. If it was in real life i am very sorry. But it shows that dreams do have a lot to do with your real life.

no, it didn't happen in real life. my friend is totally fine, that's why when i got that dream, it had me worried. and like what i've said before, if my dream reflected what i do in my life, then what does the death of a friend has anything to do with it?

What i do not belive in is dreams being some kind of prophesy or however you spell it. I mean if somethings happen to you in real life. and then you dream about it. i think thats logical. But if you lets say dream your going to have an accident, i dont belive its says that your going to have an acceident in real life. And ergo i dont belive you can really interpret dreams as to what is going to happen to you in real life. Maybe you can interpret things about yourself. about your feelings, about your character. but certainly not about your futur.
anyways thats my thoughts on it. what do you think?

well, i had dreams that happened in real life. sometimes i forgot that i dreamt about it until i feel like a certain event has happened to me before, sort of like a deja vu.