xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bladeron

Cannot Delete Folder After Lost Ftp Connection permission not given to delete file

hello,well i had created a subdomain and was transferring files into the folderi was disconnect from the server many times while uploading the files via ftponce when i reconnect, i saw a file with an unusual name something starting with preftp... i tried deleting the file, but it said that permission was not granted to do thati tired deleting the complete folder and also tried deleting the subdomain from the cpanel but it was of no usecan anyone help me with this?thx for your time

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Modified topic title.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

i have had this problem before also, i know jlhaslips has responded to this, but what i figured out to do was, this is just my opinion on it.but i figured it might be a file showing the failure to upload some of the files..so meaning you were disconnected in the middle of uploading a whole mess of files.and what i did was try and re-upload all of the files then shut down the FTP, i think i also shut down computer and then went back to FTP manager and it allowed me to delete it..you migh be able to try that is the helpdesk has not gotten to you yet

Those files are not supposed to be deleted as they are created by the ftp transfer software and the ftp server. They contain the details regarding the transfer and messing them up can result in data loss during transfer.Those tmp files are deleted automatically.

well, then y is that file into a sub-folder that i wanna delete and also i cannot delete the subdomainthe file wasn't there initially but was just developed when i reconnectedalso after this, every change that i make in the control panel wont take effect onto the ftp server, is there some problem??whether i create or delete subdomains, there is no change in the ftp serverit seems like all of my account is messed up!!can any1 suggest me something on how should i go about solving this?

Many times a strange problem happens to me...when im uploading some file and after that if i want to delete some folder from my public_html , then i can not delete it...or if i want to change some permissions of files, and after doing OK , it doesnt even change..and then i ihad to do everything (deleting and chaning permissions through file manager :(

well, then y is that file into a sub-folder that i wanna delete and also i cannot delete the subdomainthe file wasn't there initially but was just developed when i reconnected

also after this, every change that i make in the control panel wont take effect onto the ftp server, is there some problem??
whether i create or delete subdomains, there is no change in the ftp server

it seems like all of my account is messed up!!
can any1 suggest me something on how should i go about solving this?

cannot delete web folder

Cannot Delete Folder After Lost Ftp Connection

Hello chaps - this thread is quite old; but!

The reason you can't delete web folders is because the folder has a locked and hidden file inside! - even ftp programmes can't 'SEE' it ...

You have to use your web manager - "LOG IN" - "Navigate to the offending folder" and click on 'ADVANCED' view - you'll usually see something like .VT_LOG or ."some_file_name" - select it and delete it! - up one level and delete the folder - GONE!

These files are a pain - and get left from Mickysoft apps or badly drawn PHP file installers - sometimes from "CGI" counters ...

RGDS ...

Terry - Swindon - UK:

-reply by terry

Some web hosts have files that are undeleteable.It could be some sort of error log or something.Contact your host directly, and i don't think that that one file is a problem?Try going to the file in your web browser and see what it contains.