xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Filter/smudge Tutorial no Brushes ***Render Warning***

Step 1: Open up document 320x150

Posted Image

Step 2: Chose a render that you use will be using for your background and as your main image then resize it as well to what ever you wish.

Posted Image

Step 3: Then make enough copies of the render to fill up the background space. Make Sure to deselect the original so not to mess up.

Posted Image

Step 4: Then make a new layer and then go to image and apply image, next deselect all your copy images or if you want you can delete them cause now its just nothing but copies of this background. For now Im just going to deselect my images for now because then maybe something will come up that I could use them again.

Step 5: Next Make about 4-5 copies of the applied image layer that you just did and then deselect all of them except the original and the first copy.

Step 6: Next select your first copy and click on your smudge tool and then click on Size 27 Splatter brush to be used for the smudge and then use the following settings. Then go ahead and start smudging your copy just enough to get the grunge look going on like this.

Posted Image

Then set your smudge layer to overlay and now you should have something like this.

Posted Image

Step 7: Now reselect your second copy and this will be used for the smudge stick effect and use these settings.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Step 8: Then reselect your third copy and then apply these settings for your glass effect.

Posted Image

Ok this is what you should have so far for your filters right now without changing the settings.

Posted Image

Step 9: Make a Copy of your Smudge layer and then move it up top now you have your choice for brush strokes for now I'm going to use crosshatch at default settings.

Step 10: Now starting from your smudge layer using the following layer settings

Smudge Layer: Overlay

Smudge Stick: Multiply

Glass Layer: Darken

Copy of smudge layer: Overlay

Step 12: Now make a new layer then apply image for all the stuff you just did then go to

filters>sharpen>sharpen and then set that to multiply to keep the dark effect going on.

Posted Image

Step 13: Now make a copy of your sharpen layer by pressing ctrl+J then go to filters then to sketch then to halftone and use the default settings. Then set it to Darken as well.

Posted Image

Step 13: Now make a copy of that then do this filter setting filter>pixelate>fragment

Posted Image

Now let?s do a little clean up of all those layers we just made so far. Merge all your Layers from steps 1-10 down and then you should have only four layers left from steps 11-13. Their was that easy to clean up of course it was that?s if you followed all that junk up their Steps 1-13. Ohhh look I made a funny. Now for all you experts out there you could merge steps 11-13 so you would have one layer with everything that you would need like I did. But to make deselect all those other layers or just delete them whatever don't blame me if you mess up that?s if you again followed steps 1-13 :lol: Now back to business.

Step 14: Now Make a copy of that layer then reselect your smudge but this time use the cross smudge you can download it Here and then do a complete circle around the copy and then do a copy of more circle type rotations and then set that layer to lighten.

Posted Image

Step 15: Now for the Render effects move your render to the top of the stack now make about 4 copies deselect the first 3 then grab your smudge tool again with cross brushes using the same settings as before with the cross brush and then smudge around the render just enough.

Posted Image

Step 16: No Select your Second render copy and then take the smudge tool again but this time use Chalk 23 and set the Strength at 50% and then smudge the outside just enough that you can still see the render clearly enough then go to filter then to Gaussian set it to 4 and then set it to multiply.

Posted Image

Step 17: go to your next render copy then go to filter>sketch>chalk & Charcoal using the default settings and then set that to Soft Light.

Posted Image

Step 18: you Remember Step 14 well to help blend with the render effect so far duplicate that layer and then use filter>sketch>chalk & Charcoal again and then set that layer to something that will blend well together. Im going to use luminosity with a 38% fill. But here are few examples of different layer properties.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

NOTE: Remember by this step you could have something like this not exactly but something like that results will vary depending what other settings you might use.

Step 19: Now for the Final layer for the render put the settings to Color for a blend and then change the opacity to further blend it and it could come out like this.

Posted Image

Step 20:Just Throw a Simple 1px black border around it by making a new layer pressing ctrl+a then go to edit then stroke.

Step 21: Now one of my least favorite steps the Text your. So I say this now sorry you?re on your own with the text.

Best Suggestion do what looks good with the sig overall.

Step 22: This is somewhat easy task, blend everything together to take it to the extreme and then you?re done.

Bonus Step: Make a New layer and then get your paint bucket and choose a color that would best bring out everything that yo have just designed.

NOW FOR THE FINAL PRODUCT YEAH!!!!!

Posted Image

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Hmm, i feel that the outcome isn't significant enough. I would have expected such a technique to cover more, or at least not come out so pale. I guess, it depends on what render is chosen, and what blending modes are chosen, and other factors. This technique has potential, just isn't fully mastered.

As much as I like the 'fragmented' look, I, too, am a bit unsatisfied with the final outcome. It just doesn't seem to grab my attention. Also, on your final product, the blurriness of the render clashes with the harsh and sharp fragments and background. Even the left and right sides of the sig create a little conflict.And "Render Warning" indeed :lol: Seems like you're a fan of the skimpily clad anime girls.

Nice I actually really like this siggy. Nice technique and you cna make alot of things that looks pretty interetsing. Yoiu jsut got to play with the filters alot.

Very nice tutorial, I've always been fond of these types of signatures and have never been able to find a good tutorial for making one. Your tutorial seems to be easy to understand and I like that you added pictures, lol. I'm diffently going to try this tutorial out and hopefully I get a good outcome. Nice tutorial and thanks for posting it.

first with that texnique can do more thing and made a much much beter work first you tataly destroyed the finaly work try to put in lowar opacity eraSE a lot of the filters and conbination with thins texnique with other thing can be made amasing thing generaly taket it'c have a lot of potentional but you must discover it and the most inportant thing in photoshop is experimanting with the filters and that staff and that is my thing for those who yest starting to work with photoshop experiment and yest experiment