xisto Community
William91

Choosing A Firewall?

Right now im using the windows firewall but I have a feeling that it will not do as a good job as one of them firewall out there. I can't use zonelabs zonealarm because my Nintendo ds WFC connector is not compatible with it and when I try to install nortan my computer does not start up and I have to go into safe mode. I want a good firewall that will block out any unknown packets and has the same GUI as zonealarm. I want something that works like zonealarm that will give you the choice to allow or deny something. Please don't recommend blackice I have already tried it and it sucks. Thanks for your recommendations on what I should get since I can't have the really good programs.

I was using zonealarm. However my computer was craching something about kernal, someone somewhere said that zone alarm causes this on some systems, removing it fixed the problem. Anyway I use a program called Outpost firewall. THere is a free version somewhere, it's only a tiny bit harder then Zonealarm, if you decide to use it and need help, just post back here.

Yeah, zonealarm is not compatible with many software and avs. The best solution would be to get something like kerio or outpost firewall along with a nice av such as nod32 or kaspersky. It won't slow your system down as much as norton

Right now im using the windows firewall but I have a feeling that it will not do as a good job as one of them firewall out there. I can't use zonelabs zonealarm because my Nintendo ds WFC connector is not compatible with it and when I try to install nortan my computer does not start up and I have to go into safe mode. I want a good firewall that will block out any unknown packets and has the same GUI as zonealarm. I want something that works like zonealarm that will give you the choice to allow or deny something. Please don't recommend blackice I have already tried it and it sucks. Thanks for your recommendations on what I should get since I can't have the really good programs.

my router has a built-in firewall...but im not so sure how good it is...

so Im using a mixture of Avast Anti-Virus, MS Antispyware, and and Ad-Aware SE....just in case anything sneaks by...

well tell us what kind of computer you have that could help us out alot on what you can do to fix your computer to accept commercial firewall programs.

I am using ZoneAlarm Pro and I've so far faced no problems with any applications and no system failures. Zone Alarm has good support from Microsoft so it integrates well with the OS

THat is a good point, Zonealarm is supported and recognized by microsoft. That's one of the problems, albeit small problems with outpost and XP. The security center won't recognize it so you might get security warnings.

I found ZomeAlarm to be a bit annoying, it wouldnt right the rules that i wanted, for instance letting my FTP software go through, or when im playing it game it would popup "Do you wish to give internet access to this application" im like..... yea.. im trying to play a game lol. Now i use Outpost Firewall Pro, no problems some nice plugins for it. Password protected / spyware / you have complete control over it. I guess it really depends on what software you try and which you stick too. If youve never used nothing else but ZoneAlarm then you wont know any different :lol:

Edited by rogeruk (see edit history)

I like zonealarm but you?ll need to spend some time to configure currectly but after this i will work 100% ok.If your internet knownledge is not very good i advice you to use microsoft newer tool " windows bit defender" its free and you only need genuine windows. :)

Use this:BlackIce firewallorMcAfee internet security suiteorMcAfee firewall

You know...payed firewalls aren't exactly the "best". I use AVG Free Edition, and trust me, it was WAY better than the Nortorn Anti-virus I used. I also use Spybot S&D, and Ad-aware SE Personal. With these three programs, my computer is actually pretty safe. Not the safest, but remember, I never even payed for these.

William91,

Right now im using the windows firewall but I have a feeling that it will not do as a good job as one of them firewall out there. I can't use zonelabs zonealarm because my Nintendo ds WFC connector is not compatible with it

Try using hacker smacker pro. Not just it is lightweight firewall, doesn't consume much resources, but can block all unwanted traffics.

I want a good firewall that will block out any unknown packets and has the same GUI as zonealarm. I want something that works like zonealarm that will give you the choice to allow or deny something.

I was using zone alarm pro since a couple of months. Who says it is uncompatible with AVs and softwares? If you get some errors, just place that software or network card in safe or trusted zone.

I try to install nortan my computer does not start up and I have to go into safe mode.

Why you want to use NOrton (its piece of crap) or McAfee (too much load on resources). Use NOD32 instead. I am sure you will never experience any slowdown of PC with its default settings. Its virus database is one of the vast available. Edited by skjha (see edit history)

Let me tell you my experience. If you are running on Microsoft Windows XP professioanal or Home operating system why not use the Firewall that comes with this windows itself. It is quite good. Sometimes ago, I was using firewall by Alexa but they themselves seem to collect some information from my system. So, I stopped using them.