xisto Community
brainet

How To Read Any Book You Like With The Help Of Google

I never thought that Google could help you read any book you like (except a few restricted pages). But it really does

10 Steps:

1. go to https://books.google.com/?hl=en
2. enter the name of any book u like
3. Now that u can see the names of books, click on the book that you like
4. Goto the CONTENTS page and see if the book has all that u are looking for
5. Note the page number of the book hat interests you.
6. There is an option "SEARCH WITHIN THE BOOK". Just enter the page number (say 152) of the book and hit ENTER
7. Some links gets opened. Click the one that shows "Page 152"
8. U can read 3 pages before and 3 pages after your specified page. Now enter the page number that u want to read (in the similar fashion)
9. In this way u can read all the books of the world that is with GOOGLE.
10. ENJOY

Edited by brainet (see edit history)

now i just have to wait for the Harry Potter books to show up on there >_< neways, this looks like it could be a verry usefil tool for people who are doing book reports or somthing! good find!

Nice! I love it. I am reading several right now. I wonder if this is legal and if the writers said Google could do this? It truely is awesome. Probably a good thing. Now you can read a book from anywhere. want some problems though?You can't read or print out the whole book or save it to disk. Meaning you have to stay conected the whole time. Which is a pain. It would be nice if you could have the option to download it. but then that would be giving them away for free and you could get into legal trouble them.

Nice tip. It does seem to work. I did not have the patience to keep reading a whole book that way though. I am a fast reader and this method is too tedious, especially if I got involved in a mystery or other story. If I see something I like, I can just surf over to my library's website and put it on reserve, I guess. I'm just waiting for the day when you can read anything available at libraries online, lol. As it is, there's so many free Ebooks out there, I have more than enough fiction to read already.I've always had a hard time getting rid of books I have bought, even to give them to a friend, or sell them to a used bookstore. I have a tendency to collect books offline, and it's carried over to online. I have several hundred ebooks, at least, that I've picked up on the web for free. I haven't gotten around to reading them yet. And I try to stay away from Gutenberg or my hard drive would be full of Ebooks, lol.As it is, I think right now, I'm mostly interested in ebooks that teach HTML, CSS, and stuff like that. Preferably ones that take it in easy steps. I've sort of looked around for some, but haven't really tried an all-out search yet. It's really easy to find advanced programming books online, but not as easy to find more basic ones at the sites I go to. I would rather download than read it online, since I can open it up whenever I want, bookmark pages and not have to login somewhere.I just can't resist free books!

I agree with Earth's Daughter.. I read too quickly for that. But I think it's quite useful if you can't afford to buy a book. The thing is, there's libraries... I mean it's not that hard to just get a book out lol. I mean, I even have a library at school. And even though books are sometimes expensive I like buying them, it feels good. :lol:

It's very useful if u can't find some info right away and don't find a free book on the subject. If i was very interested in smth i would find a way to get it offline (lol, there are the temp dirs where the web pages are stored and so on), i would even printscreen it and have it OCRed. My sister does this for some time and she isn't interested at all in computers. I've seen those links to google books through searches but was never interested enough to click. Good thing to know for everyone that can't afford a book. Thanks man.

I dunno about general books - novels can be expensive, hard to find all the time in libraries, which is why this is a rather nice feature from Google.However, for those who're looking for textbooks, I'm noticing that a lot of people are actually writing texts that they are giving away for free. It's interesting to watch the whole 'information is free' movement. I'm not too sure about texts on microbiology or archeaology (spelling?), but I have used texts on programming and math that I've downloaded without paying a cent. Google "free texts on <subject of your choice>" and it should get you started... just a thought.Cheers!

I can't resist free books either Earth's Daughter. But why go to a library when you can read them online. I just don't like the fact that you can't red it all at once. So I have this here idea see? Why not take the book and lay it all out in one page, and then have a menu bar that floats along side so you can go to various chapters. It would take an adnvanced Javascript code to link to all the chapters in the page to jump to, but you would always have the menu with you. Anyway, only so much for free. I wouldn't go to a library now. Just need a way to extract it all. I wonder if I could put all the pages into a java or iframe and save it to a disk. If I succeed I will have to write a tutorial. sorry for the second post guys, just an update on thoughts and talking about your responses.

It's nice. It's easy to read too. Sometimes on those kinds of site the font is impossible to read. This could be helpful in many ways - like if a good book was recommended to you, there is now no need to rent or buy the book online. Good development in online literature but I wonder how google can pay the publishers and get it to us for free at the same time. Or maybe the publishers pay google :lol:

Funny just yesterday i've read here about this google feature and now i'm drilling web for some GeoExchange technical and general documentation for my degree paperwork. Perhaps i should try google books afterall, but for now i'm just starting so general info is provided by www.

Edited by realthor (see edit history)

KNow the the books made before the whole right stuff are not subjected to those laws and google has asked the publisher companys for persmission to post these books. As you see Harry Potter is never going to be on the list because why would Rowling want her books read for free. They're still racking in money. That's pretty neat.

now i just have to wait for the Harry Potter books to show up on there >_< neways, this looks like it could be a verry usefil tool for people who are doing book reports or somthing! good find!

LOL,
That would take forever to read, since J.K.Rowling writes more pages a book and has done over 600 before, i would rather read the actual thing or hire the book for free from a library. But reading books on google seems interesting. How did people come up with this idea? They would have to scan every page wouldn't they? Or would the company have it on computer anyway?

This is it... Google is taking over the world!Kidding aside, I think this is a great way to preview books and expose you to the vast and colorful world of literature. I'm a fast reader and a bookworm myself... However, I'm not fond of reading e-books or reading anywhere else rather than the real book. I love being able to bury myself in the pages, hug the book and hide in the darkest corners with it and giggling. Reading it in a computer takes away most of the fun and is kinda weird for me, since I usually use the computer for other stuff... <-- Not used to doing reading marathons on the computer. Oh... speaking of which... I just bought a new book today... better get back to it! :)Have you hugged your book today?

What book is it? Any good?Back on topic, I checked out this site and it seems to only have old books and most i havent even heard of, but the good thing is that when i get homework at school to read a book i can do it on the computer just to annoy the teachers. I searched pokemon out of sheer curiosity and it came up with a book about killing pokemon.