xisto Community
lacking_imagination

Question/suggestion Concerning Mysql

Alright...I'm not one to complain about things, but on the delta server, the MySQL has been down multiple times a week.I'm getting hosting with a different company soon, on completely unrelated issues that I knew about before coming here and didn't expect to run into quite so fast, but...I just want to know if the version of MySQL is a stable version. Or is it being over used? Honestly, there have been hours straight when I've been without a forum. Like now for instance. My forums have been down for 2 hours straight on my paid site. My Xisto site is still up.I'm sorry, but I know I don't rely 100% on the forums, but they are a major part of my site.And others use the mysql for their main page.It may only be $3.33 a month, but its almost not worth the hassle. Your free sites are higher quality than the paid ones. I won't miss the hosting here once I purchase my hosting at the new company.I don't hate this network, in fact, it's my first paid host. But 2 hour+ straight outages multiple times a week? Tuesday mySQL and cpanel crashed.C'mon guys, we're paying here, please take care of us.

Hi.Its not about our Free sites are having a better uptime than our paid site.Just imagine, Why would we even do this ? Or is there something in our hand that causes mySQL on Paid server to go down ?I really cannot deny the downtime of MySQL, but when there is even one member who abuses the server, he can bring down the SQL service. We found a member by scanning the logs manually (which takes hours) to track down the spammer.Tracking down mySQL spammer is really hard. Its because, once the service experiences lot of load, all other sites quering normally affect the server equally. So, it gets hard to determine, who is actually affecting it.Unlike Free hosting, We cannot simply suspend the suspected sites, because of the very same statement put forth by our customers "We are paying for it, You cannot suspend my site".I can really understand the value of your money and the service you are expecting, but at this moment, All I can request you is, give it a try. Everyone has their bad day.. I've researched the industry, market and the services provided by our competitors.. As for now, I can still say, the uptime provided till date has been far better than competitors who are charging more than double.As mentioned in my other post, We have ordered additional equipments of about $3000 for additional monitoring and failture detection.Also, Please understand that, there is no such software in existence which can give an alarm of any service X mins before it is on the verge of collapsing.You might have noticed, HTTPD has never been down on DELTA ever. Its been working perfectly since the day it was setup. HTTPD service is monitored as closely as MySQL. However, still we get problems from MYSQL because, we have no where to know, if mySQL is answering your software queries or not.If the service Dies off, we can fix it within 2 mins. That's my guarantee, but if for some reason, its hogged and ceases to respond to Queries, its literally impossible to find out.We are working over it hard and be assured, We have a team of programmers who are struggling for giving our members better uptime and quality.thanks.

:) Wow I've never seen a better post in my life. I have only been useing Xisto - Web Hosting for a couple weeks now and I haven't had any problems. And like OpaQue said their services are great for their prices and I did my research I must tell you. Searched the web for months no joke. And after reading that post I'm even happier to have them as my host. ;) Edited by FallenSage (see edit history)

The thread was started in Feb and after the installation of those equipments + the change in our monitoring systems, We have not had a SINGLE mySQL related complaint. :-) We are proud of it :)

I must say it is true. I have never actually noticed a single problem ever with my site since I have been on Xisto - Web Hosting, It has been about 7 months going strong. GO Xisto - Web Hosting.

If the service Dies off, we can fix it within 2 mins. That's my guarantee, but if for some reason, its hogged and ceases to respond to Queries, its literally impossible to find out.

Lemme help you out then! :)

Here's a VERY quick and dirty script, to monitor your MySQL db's.

All you have to do, is change the settings, and, crontab it to run every 5-30 mins or so (By the way, you run it, like this: php -q scriptname.php )

I'd say, run one copy on each machine, edit the machine name, and you should get nice, concice emails, from each box, when mysql either dies, or stops responding to queries.

(I wrote it, from scratch, so, if you have any questions, let me know :P )

<?phpfunction testfailed($reason_for_failure) {	# Settings:	$boxname = "Alpha"; //Set this to the machine's name	$errorto = "support@Xisto - Web Hosting.com"; //Set this to whom you want to receive the warning email	$errorfrom = "support@Xisto - Web Hosting.com"; //Set this to whom you want the error mail to come FROM	$subject = 'WARNING -- MySQL Failure on ' . $boxname;	$message = 'Hello, MySQL has failed on' . $boxname . 'The reason given by MySQL was: \r\n' . $reason_for_failure;	$headers = 'From: ' . $errorfrom . "\r\n" . 'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();	mail($errorto, $subject, $message, $headers);}#More settings$mysql_host = "Host.Of.The.MySQL.Machine";  //IP or ohstname of the MySQL machine being tested$mysql_user = "MySQL_Username";		//MySQL Username$mysql_password = "MySQL_Password";  //MySQL User password$test_database = "Database name";   //The DB Name$tablename = "An_Example_Table";   //Must have at least one table, with one entry....$link = mysql_connect($mysql_host, $mysql_user, $mysql_password) or testfailed('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());mysql_select_db($test_database) or testfailed('Could not select database' . mysql_error());$query = 'SELECT * FROM' . $tablename;$result = mysql_query($query) or testfailed('Query failed: ' . mysql_error());mysql_free_result($result);mysql_close($link);?> 

The thread was started in Feb and after the installation of those equipments + the change in our monitoring systems, We have not had a SINGLE mySQL related complaint. :-) We are proud of it :P

D'oh! It pays to read the dates on posts! :P

Lemme help you out then! :unsure:
Here's a VERY quick and dirty script, to monitor your MySQL db's.

All you have to do, is change the settings, and, crontab it to run every 5-30 mins or so (By the way, you run it, like this: php -q scriptname.php )

I'd say, run one copy on each machine, edit the machine name, and you should get nice, concice emails, from each box, when mysql either dies, or stops responding to queries.

(I wrote it, from scratch, so, if you have any questions, let me know :D )

<?phpfunction testfailed($reason_for_failure) {	# Settings:	$boxname = "Alpha"; //Set this to the machine's name	$errorto = "support@Xisto - Web Hosting.com"; //Set this to whom you want to receive the warning email	$errorfrom = "support@Xisto - Web Hosting.com"; //Set this to whom you want the error mail to come FROM	$subject = 'WARNING -- MySQL Failure on ' . $boxname;	$message = 'Hello, MySQL has failed on' . $boxname . 'The reason given by MySQL was: \r\n' . $reason_for_failure;	$headers = 'From: ' . $errorfrom . "\r\n" . 'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();	mail($errorto, $subject, $message, $headers);}#More settings$mysql_host = "Host.Of.The.MySQL.Machine";  //IP or ohstname of the MySQL machine being tested$mysql_user = "MySQL_Username";		//MySQL Username$mysql_password = "MySQL_Password";  //MySQL User password$test_database = "Database name";   //The DB Name$tablename = "An_Example_Table";   //Must have at least one table, with one entry....$link = mysql_connect($mysql_host, $mysql_user, $mysql_password) or testfailed('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());mysql_select_db($test_database) or testfailed('Could not select database' . mysql_error());$query = 'SELECT * FROM' . $tablename;$result = mysql_query($query) or testfailed('Query failed: ' . mysql_error());mysql_free_result($result);mysql_close($link);?>
D'oh! It pays to read the dates on posts! :(

Being a programmer myself, I have already done that to solve this issue. Its now employed on every server and monitored every 30 seconds.