xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
itssami

Is Invision Power Board 1.3.1 Free ?

Hey guys...I heard that the Invision Power Board was free till version 1.3.1 and then it went to close source.I wonder if there is still some link from where i can download that free version ? And if i find somehow and install it , will it be free forever ? or they will force to buy upgrade package ? and is it legal to install that version now a days ?

Hey guys...I heard that the Invision Power Board was free till version 1.3.1 and then it went to close source.I wonder if there is still some link from where i can download that free version ? And if i find somehow and install it , will it be free forever ? or they will force to buy upgrade package ? and is it legal to install that version now a days ?

I think it was free, but is no longer available through Invision. I'm sure there are copies floating around on the internet, but I'm not sure how legal it would be to install.

it would more than likely be illegal to install because the free offer is out of date... and im sure there is a download site out there somewhere where you can get itand yes! Invision Power Board is WAYY better than phpBB, you get a ton more options, and it is way easier to install mods, they have the 2.0 version coming out soon i hope and there is a ton of pre-installed mods...so it is better i would say..and this board is an Invision Power Board!

Edited by Albus Dumbledore (see edit history)

It is impossible to download the free version of Invision Power Board. If you read the license agreement for free Invision Power Board it says that you can only download it from their website. This product can not be downloaded from their website anymore so it is now impossible to get.

you may only be able to d/l it from their site legally but there are other sites out there that might have gotten it and put it up on their site..

you may only be able to d/l it from their site legally but there are other sites out there that might have gotten it and put it up on their site..

When the copyright owner's site no longer provides free download, then we should not discuss the ways of getting it from another sources or even mentioning them.

If it was still free today, I would imagine that Invision creator probably made it possible to download it. But since it was taken down from Invision site AND our current Xisto cPanel no longer offers the free installation, it's sufficient to say it is no longer free from license agreement and copyrights.

In any case, contact webmaster of Invision and request further information. If it's still free I'm sure they would be the best source to get the files.

I'm sorry to say the version 1.3.x is a dead end. After sending an inquiry to Invision Board sales, I received:

Thank you for contacting Invision Power Services. To answer your questions:

1.) Q: Can an user still download 1.3.x from somewhere else and use it
freely?
A: The only area where you can still download a legitimate copy of
our free product is through software like cPanel or Fantastico. If they
are using a version downloaded from anywhere else it is likely
illegitimate.

2.) Q: Do you make 1.3.x available for download in your site?
A: We have officially retired all versions prior to 2.0.0 Final.
There are simply too many security vulnerabilities in the older
software. We really do not recommend that individuals use such old versions in
a live environment.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate
to let us know. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Jonathan Shipe
Sales and Billing
1-800-901-5491 ext. 108

And since our cPanel no longer offers 1.3.x it is illegal to install and use it with your Xisto hosting account.

Thanks for clearing that up Buffalo. I have been wondering the same. As for which forum is better between phpbb and Invision Power Board... It really depends on what you prefer. PHPBB is sort of easier and free and it really is for someone new to web design that has a personal site but IPB is more of a forum for popular sites of business or places like this. A place that offers stuff. It really depends on what you want to spend and how you plan on using it. I prefer IPB though.

As everyone else has said, at least mostly, you can't download invision power board 1.3.x anymore. If you do find a link or mirror to download it, you will be getting it illegally and I would advise not using it, especially on Xisto because if an admin finds out that you got it illegally, then your account could get banned.... But if you did download it when it was still free, through Invision Power Board's site, then it is fine to use. Since you got it from their site, it is okay to still use it.

Now, with their 2.x versions, you can only download a free trial.... which has limitations and disables itself after so many posts/members. Other than the trial, you have to pay for it or use one of the free invision power board hosts...

I still like IPB more the phpbb but I'm not sure anymore since IPB is no longer free......

Why didnt they just make a free version for the General small sites like mine for example, and then charge $ for the large buisness. It makes more sense but dunno maybe they are making more profit. =/ IPB is way better though, and faster. Clean.....

here is my advice to you. I think you should start saving up some money to leagally buy the software from them.In the meantime i say you should use SMF. Its free and it works well.

IPB version 2 and higher is not freebut IPB version 1 is free ( all version ) and you can find it in cpanelfantasticoPHPBB is free forum (board) script and you can install all version and all pach . You can find PHPBB in https://www.phpbb.com/ or http://www.phpbb.net/ or http://www.phpbb.org/ or you can install phpbb with one click in Cpanel @ fantastico. both are there forums are very nice but ipb has more options and more config for admins .i think phpbb board has limited