xisto Community
huntix

How To Make Your Pc Work Faster get your pc working unbelievably fast in 5 minutes

Here you can find useful tips you can do to make your pc work faster in a few minutes , just follow these tips and you will definitely have a much faster and more reliable PC!

1. Wallpapers: They slow your whole system down, so if you're willing to compromise, have a basic plain one instead!

2. Minimizing: If you want to use several programs at the same time then minimize those you are not using. This helps reduce the overload on RAM.

3. Boot Faster: The 'starting Windows 9x , xp' message on startup can delay your booting for a couple of seconds. To get rid of this message go to c:\ and find the file Msdos.sys. Remove the Read-Only option. Next, open it in Notepad or any other text editor. Finally, go to the text 'Options' within the file and make the following changes: Add BootDelay=0. To make your booting even faster, set add Logo=0 to remove the Windows logo at startup.

4. Restart only Windows: When restarting your PC, hold down Shift to only restart Windows rather than the whole system which will only take a fraction of the time.

5. Turn Off Animations: Go to Display Settings from the Control Panel and switch to the Effects Tab. Now turn off Show Windows Content While Dragging and Smooth Edges on Screen Fonts. This tip is also helpful with Windows XP because of the various fade/scroll effects.

6. Resolutions: If you are willing to do anything for faster performance from your PC, then try lowering your display resolution. The lower it is, the faster your PC

7. Start Up Programs: Windows can be slowed down when programs run on start up. To eliminate this, check your Start up folder. You can access it from the start menu: Start, Programs, Start Up. Another way to eliminate programs from loading even before Windows actually starts is by doing the following: Click on Start, then Run. Type msconfig. It will take quite a long time for this program to load, but when you finally see it on your screen, explore the different tabs. They all have to do with how quickly your PC boots, so select what you want, and uncheck what you don't want!

8. Fonts: When Windows starts, it loads every single font in the Fonts folder. Therefore, the more fonts you have, the slower the booting process. To get rid of unwanted fonts, simply go to the Fonts folder under c:\windows and remove whatever you don't want. Fonts that have a red letter 'A' as their icon are system fonts, so don't delete them.

Notice from serverph:
content lifted from other sites. quotes added.

http://www.cyberiapc.com/20speed.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Wallpape:en-US:official

please review Xisto forum rules & TOS. warning served.

Edited by serverph (see edit history)

I read your nice suggestions, but some thing I should mention you is that the only windows which one can restart without restarting the computer is Win98, not other windowses.

Another good way to speed up your win is to disable unused services.

For winxp (if in doubt do not disable a service,set it to manual or automatic)

Automatic:Application Layer Gateway
Automatic Updates
Cryptographic Services
DCOM Server Process Launcher
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Event Log
IPSEC Services
Plug and Play
Print Spooler
Protected Storage
Remote Access Connection Manager
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Security Accounts Manager
Shell Hardware Detection
System Event Notification
System Restore Service
Task Scheduler
Themes
Windows Audio
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
Windows Management Instrumentation

Disable:
ASP.NET State Service
Clipbook
Error Reporting Service
Fast User Switching Compatibility
Help and Support
HID Input Service
IMAPI CD‐Burning COM Service
Indexing Service
Infrared Monitor
Machine Debug Manager
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
Network DDE
Network DDE DSM
Network Location Awareness (NLA)
Performance Logs and Alerts
Portable Media Serial Number Service
QoS RSVP
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
Remote Registry
Routing and Remote Access
Secondary Logon
Security Center
Smart Card
SSDP Discovery Service
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Telnet
Terminal Services
Uninterruptible Power Supply
Volume Shadow Copy
WebClient
Windows Time
Windows User Mode Driver Framework
Wireless Zero Configuration
WMI Performance Adapter

Any Microsoft services not listed above can be set to manual.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Listing application or run process is not part of quality or contributing post.

wow do those things really help.. i might try it becasue my computer is running so slow and it is getting on my nerves expecially with the fact that all i do is go on the computer and then go to bed :lol:

Here's a very detailed guide on how to make your computer run faster without upgrading..
http://www.thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=347

I find it very useful and it should be done to every computers at least once a month to keep a computer in working at the fastest possible rate.
And I like Sla6 comment, to buy a new computer.. :lol:
Very true, but unpractical because new computers will one day slow down again..

Edited by Inspiron (see edit history)

hey you can also go into the registry and edit the shut down settings so your pc goes alot quicker, but i forgot how to do that now. Thanks for the other tips thou, they were very useful! Shame windows XP wont restart quickly ?_? hope that comes up in vista.

Buy a new PC :(:(

nah still expensive :(, :( it's much cheaper upgrading your memory than buying a new pc aint it?

this computer im using right now, i have it for about 5 years now, pentium 4 1,6 ghz just bought another memory (total of 768 ram) and it's much faster, is it because i often defrag my computer once a week? :( and i also unload unneccessary startup program on the msconfig..
Edited by Flying_Dragon (see edit history)

it more the apperance then wallpaper use windows classic instead of windows xp apperance to save some ram and to increase preformance a bit when your using more programs.

Thanks! I've already tried a couple of these suggestions and my computer is running better already. Took me a few hours to defragment my computer :PWhen I started the defragger, the whole screen lit up in red (indicating fragmented files). :PAs a result, it said it's performance was 50% better.Also I heard getting more random access memory can help too. I need some more of that :P