xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Inspiron

Possible Windows Vista Versions

Here's what I've found. Microsoft decides to make more versions and make more money out of it. Well does it meant more bugs as well? Upcoming will be 1 Starter/Children version, 2 Home versions, 2 Professional/Business versions, and finally the All-In-One Ultimate version, summing up to be 6 different versions of Windows Vista. That's crazy!

Windows Starter 2007 (Previously Windows Vista Starter Edition). This version does not use the Vista branding because it will not include the Aero graphics display found in the Vista line of products, and will only ship in a 32-bit version.

Windows Vista Home Basic (and Home Basic N). A simple version of Windows Vista that is aimed at single PC homes. Windows Vista Home Basic is the baseline version of Windows Vista, and the version that all other product editions will build from. Home Basic N is aimed at the EU and will lack Windows Media Player.

Windows Vista Home Premium. Whole home entertainment and personal productivity throughout the home and on the go. As a true superset of Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium Edition will include everything from Home Basic, as well as Media Center and Media Center Extender functionality (including Cable Card support).

Windows Vista Business (and Business N) (Previously Windows Vista Professional Edition). Windows Vista Business is roughly analogous to XP Pro today. This version is aimed at business decision makers and IT managers and generalists. Business N is aimed at the EU and will lack Windows Media Player.

Windows Vista Enterprise. Optimized for the enterprise, this version will be a true superset of Windows Vista Pro Edition. It will also include unique features such as Virtual PC, the multi-language user interface (MUI), and the Secure Startup/full volume encryption security technologies ("Cornerstone"). There is no analogous XP version for this product.

Windows Vista Ultimate. The best operating system ever offered for a personal PC, optimized for the individual. Windows Vista Ultimate Edition is a superset of both Vista Home Premium and Vista Business, so it includes all of the features of both of those product versions, plus other features.

Source:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

from yahoo reports, it says there will be EIGHT (yes, 8!) editions as disclosed on a microsoft help page that was still under development. (from the quote above, it appears to be really 8 instead of 6 if you count the basic and business N versions separately).

The company has since taken down the Web site and declined to confirm the information and said it will offer more details about the Vista launch, targeted for the second half of 2006, in the coming weeks.

read more.

and yes, i agree, it's CRAZY. why not just have the ULTIMATE edition instead? it's the SUPERSET - so "everything" is covered! more moolah for bill gates? :huh:

from yahoo reports, it says there will be EIGHT (yes, 8!) editions as disclosed on a microsoft help page that was still under development. (from the quote above, it appears to be really 8 instead of 6 if you count the basic and business N versions separately).

read more.

and yes, i agree, it's CRAZY. why not just have the ULTIMATE edition instead? it's the SUPERSET - so "everything" is covered! more moolah for bill gates? :huh:

Your link goes to an invalid page.

8 versions is over being for crazy. What's the point of having so much versions when people simply wants the best, which is the Ultimate version. I think its all the same with minor changes here and there for each version. Such many versions can let people thing that microsoft is working hard enough to produce 8 different versions. On the other hand, they are also trying to make money 8 times more.

We'll see if every of its 8 versions gets a bug. ;)

thnx inspiron. link fixed. :huh:

Your link goes to an invalid page.
8 versions is over being for crazy. What's the point of having so much versions when people simply wants the best, which is the Ultimate version. I think its all the same with minor changes here and there for each version. Such many versions can let people thing that microsoft is working hard enough to produce 8 different versions. On the other hand, they are also trying to make money 8 times more.

We'll see if every of its 8 versions gets a bug. :huh:

The Ultimate version, is likely to be very expensive. and will probably include features that some users don't need and wont use. Therefore, they'd be better off saving money and buying Home Basic or Home Premium to suit their needs. One idea which I cannot claim credit for, as I did read it elsewhere, was that Microsoft could have Home Basic with a trial of Home Premium, and then after 30 days, the home premium features are disabled, and to re-enable them, the user must then purchase a licence for Home Premium. Same thing for Business and Enterprise.

I do agree that 8 versions is a bit much - all sounds a bit confusing now, but I suppose we'll get used to it.

Yeah that is crazy 3 versions at the mostHome Business DevelopmentIt covers the basic needs for the user but yeah the price tags are goign ot expensive as well especially for the last 3 packages.

they are essentially the same thing. they just give you different software with them. I wish they'd just sell the plain operating system and standard software (browser....etc...even though their browser sucks) and then we'd just get some opensource/GPL stuff onto our PC. ofcourse...we could just all get linux. hehe. linux is going to dominate the world one day.

I guess they are going for 8 versions so people who want it without some of the features for a cheaper price can get the cheaper versions. I think they just want people to buy more and more and have it go out to all types of people so they make even more money even though they are wasting a ton with the 8 versions. This ought to be interesting to see. lol Half the software isles will be filled with the types of windows. :huh: