xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mich

Bmg Music Telemarketing Inefficient service

Doesn't it just gall you when people are inefficient at their jobs? I received a phone call from a woman at BMG music with a 7 free CD offer about 10 days ago. She wanted me to select a free CD over the phone so she could send it right away. I inquired about the cost of shipping and handling, which she said was $2.00 on this special offer. Hmm, not bad thought I since it was usually around $3.00 or so. I asked what CDs were available to me for free choice and she said name one. I did. She said she would send it to me with my new membership package and that I could order my additional free CDs on line. Catch, I only have to "buy" on additional CD in the next 12 months. OK, I can live with this. So I agreed and we closed the deal. ;)

Well, today I received my free CD and membership package. Guess what. ;) She sent me the wrong CD and charged me $2.79 for the S&H. So now I need to contact Customer Service, right? I searched and searched through the whole package of flyers and pamphlets and, guess what else, nowhere to be found is BMG's customer service phone number. So I had to pop on line to find the number. When I got to the site I could not accomplish anything without signing up and into my new account. After about 10 mins of searching, you guessed it, the phone number is not listed at their site either. So then I spent another 5 mins or so trying to figure out how to contact customer service for the reason I needed. I had to e-mail them via an on site e-mail message, not even from my own mailbox. When I check for the correct CD to request a replacement, I find that the CD I requested is "not available as a Free Selection". So, I requested a $2.79 credit and return address label so I won't have to pay to send back the stupid CD they sent me. Grr.

There is a spot on my account information page that allows me to cancel my account. But, I am afraid to do that before I return their CD and get credit for the $2.79 S&H. They could treat it as an outstanding balance and dun me to death for the charge.

Now, I figure either the woman was lying to me about the CD I requested being available and S&H charge, or just saying what I wanted to hear to get me to sign up, or she was just plain stupid. :huh: Or then again, maybe it was me who was stupid enough to believe what she said.

How was your day?

this is a problem with telemarketing itself, I've worked in call centres like that here in australia and the demands that are placed on the staff aren't realistic and the staff end up leaving or cheating like you seem to have encountered. They expect you to not read any of the fine print and details. Also another thing that contributes to this problem is the fact that most businesses use outsourced call centres to do the work, so the people that make the sales never have to deal with the complaints. where I am now is my 3rd call centre job and I've come to the conclusions that call centres suck and companies don't care about anything except money these days. *BLEEP*s.....

Well the first telemarketer to call me I will make them cry like a little girl, thats what I hate about people they are so desperate for money that they take these stupid jobs.

Now, I figure either the woman was lying to me about the CD I requested being available and S&H charge, or just saying what I wanted to hear to get me to sign up, or she was just plain stupid. Or then again, maybe it was me who was stupid enough to believe what she said.

she was lying to you and making you hear what oyu wanted to hear and yues you were stupid enough to fall for it.

Update: So on February 24th BMG customer service e-mailed me that they would send me an address label to return the CD I have received that I didn't order. Incidently, there was no phone number for customer service included in their e-mail either. It arrived about March 1st. Guess what. :( It isn't a postage-paid label. Now, would you expect to have to pay for postage to return something you didn't order in the first place? I don't. So I sent them an email:

I am in receipt of the address label you have sent me. However, I take exception to the fact that it is not postage-paid. I did not request an exchange. I requested that you correct an error made by a representative of your organization. I did not order the CD that was shipped to me. Somebody at your BMG Music chose to substitute it for the one I was offered by your telemarketer. This evidently happened when it became known that the one I ordered was not available as a free selection. I do not feel obliged to pay for your mistake. Therefore, I request that you send me a postage-paid label. I am certain that your response will be as prompt to this request as it was to my original inquiry.

I await their reply with baited breath :(

Edited by Mich (see edit history)

Go Mich go.. don't let 'em get away with it o.oI dont trust telemarketers... I figure if I want to buy something, I'll hunt around and find the best deal myself.. don't come to me, I'll come to you. ^^;

@togi the best advice for shopping look for the better deal.@mich like they are really going to give their number out why do you think they use id scramblers to cover their tracks cause they know about the do not ad list and what not.Heres a scare tatci tell them you have their number and that your going to report them to th authorities for false advertisement.

Go Mich go.. don't let 'em get away with it o.o

Believe it or not I got an e-mail answer that they are sending the label. I may have won this one. But, of course, that remains to be seen.

Heres a scare tatic tell them you have their number and that your going to report them to th authorities for false advertisement.

We are of a single mind here. Got another call today from a telemarketer. It was a young man this time. I asked him the name of the company he represented, if I could find them on the internet, and an 800# I could reach them at. He gave me all I needed to know. Then I told him that our phone# is on the "do not call" list and I was going to report his company for being in violation of this. He had nothing more to say. HA, I guess I told him. :( Poor guy, he was only the messenger, trying to earn a buck.

Believe it or not I got an e-mail answer that they are sending the label. I may have won this one. But, of course, that remains to be seen.

Keep us posted.. I'm totally watching this thread XD

Poor guy, he was only the messenger, trying to earn a buck.

I can never really get mad at 'em, because they're just doing their job.. I hate it when customers get angry at me for enforcing (stupid) rules I didn't make up.. I'm just trying to pay my rent, here ^^; Edited by Togi (see edit history)

Keep us posted.. I'm totally watching this thread XD

Just to let you know, a postage paid label arrived in my mail today. Thats 1 for Mich :( Hurray!. Now all I have to do is return the CD for another one I really want.

PS. I love your sig, it is adorable.

Well, just have to bring you up to date on this one. Here it is 2 months later and I am still battling with BMG. I sent back their CD using their postage paid label, right. Their invoice warned if I didn't pay what was due within 30 days, I would be charged $2.00 late fee. So I sent them the payment at the same time. Now they claim they never received the CD, so they won't give me credit. As far as they are concerned I received the CD and paid my invoice. So I am out the money and have zilch to show for it. I was supposed to receive 7 free CDs (I pay the shipping fees) and now I will only receive 6 and will pay for shipping on all 7, since credit was never issued for the one I returned. I have been corresponding with them all this time. They have never acknowledge my last e-mail. I guess I will have to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

As well, in the interim, I have received in the mail a "We want you back" offer from them. Obviously something is wrong with their whole system. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I just joined and now they want me back. Like, when did I unjoin? My account is still active at their site.

As stated earlier, I cannot find a phone # to talk to a person anywhere on their site or in their correspondence. I have searched the internet and found no match to any of their addresses. If anybody happens to know how I can find out a # to call, please let me know.

Hurray, Hurray. :) I found a Phone # by internet search. Called it today and a girl named Dusty said she would straighten things out, send me my free CD. As well, she apologized profusely for all the trouble I have had. We will see now if things really are OK. :)

All of these cheap or free offers if you sign up for something are scams. What is even more of a scam is when somewhere offers to send you something free. Nothing in life is free. These companies probably pay the bills by charging too much shipping and handling. People you don't know have no reason to give you things for free. Just rembmer that the next time you pick up the phone to get your "free" cd shipped to you.

Nothing in life is free. People you don't know have no reason to give you things for free.

My, such pessimism. :) Check out the forum "Freebie Stuff". I think you might find free things here from people you don't know. BTW, check out my site. All the graphics are offered for free, no strings attached.

However, I will take the FREE advice from you, a person I don't know, about CD offers over the phone.

I've dealt with telemarketers for years and BMG is no exception. I've found that it is healthy to take these individuals to court for harrassment and whatever else your lawyer can think of. I used to just tell them to stop calling but as you know that never works. They just keep calling you back. So one day a friend of mine invites me out to eat. We go with him and he says he is paying. Seems he won a lawsuit against a telemarketing company for harrassment. He told me the trick is when they call tell them you will be glad to hear their story if they dont mind you recording it. Sit there and record it after their approval and then tell them your not interested and to take you off the calling list. Let them know you do not want any further contact with their company. If they call back just hang up and file a complaint with the better business association. When they call back again file a police complaint for harrassment. And when they call back again get an attorney. Take them to court and bring all the proof you just accumulated. Its what they deserve. I've tried it and i didn't even have to go to court. They settled out of court for a small fee ( a nice sized one for me). I've been tracking alot of them on the web and it seems alot of the people suing are getting 10K from the companies. I'll put up with a few phone calls for 10K.

I dont know if I'd go so far as mister Abolute there, but it's good to know you're getting it all worked out..... or are you?This saga is getting ridiculous.. but I guess even if you don't get things worked out, at least all the people reading this will know to avoid this business.Good luck, though.. still watching this topic ^.~