xisto Community
andrescasta

Problem With Rear Speakers AUDIGY 2 ZS problem

Hi There, 1) I have the Audigy 2 ZS soundcard accompanied with Creative Gigaworks S750 speakers (btw. they ROCK!!!). All drivers for audigy are up to date. I have concerns regarding the Audigy CMSS function, that should make the mp3?s sound from ALL of the 7 speakers. The problem is that all the speakers sound OK except the rears, that have only about 10% of the volume the other speakers have (the games work absolutely properly in surround mode, in EAX for ex). And the problem is not in the surround mixer, all the speakers are set to 100%, the rears too... The CMSS is set to the SECOND option (makes the best results i think) and the speaker configuration is set to 7.1. And there is a slider in the right part, by which you can adjust the FADER, in other words you can adjust how much volume the front speakers will have and how much rear. And here is the problem, when i move the slider down, naturally the REAR speakers should go louder, but they remain the same and the SIDE speakers go louder instead, so there is NO way to increase the volume of rear speakers when listening the music (i use winamp 5, if that matters). All this changes (and works properly) only when i change the speakers set to 5.1 in the THX console, but that has no use for me (the sides are completely OFF in that case), as i have 7.1 speakers and so, naturally, i want 7.1 setup. And when you dont hear the rear speakers, you simply absolutely dont have the feel of surround CMSS sound and thats what worries me. So id like to ask whether you have the same problem or you know a solution that could possibly help me or other ppl with such problem. Thanks in advance! Really thanks in advance for ANY help!!!

OK, I have absolutely NO experience with 7.1 speakers (well, nor 5.1 speakers for that matter, and the irony is, I have SB Live 5.1, but no 5.1 speakers), but I'll try to put in my 2 cents...If you say that all sound works good on 7.1, games etc, then maybe there is a problem wth the CMSS functionality itself? Perhaps some bug that skipped Creative, or something like that... Let me ask you this, how do the movies sound? Are all speakers active when you watch movies? DVDs, DivXs, no matter... I know I have certain problems sometimes, getting output on my rear outs (I have headphones connected there), and settup is on 2 speakers (that's when all sound from front outs is copied to rear), and, for example, I have to manualy configure rear out as another source, in Classic Media Player, that comes with K-Lite codec pack... Sounds silly, but that's how it must be done...Did you try playing your MP3s from say, Windows Media Player? Do all the speakers work? Maybe there's a strange bug in Winamp (I love Winamp, but it's made by humans too, and humans make mistakes sometimes :huh:)Many options to go trough, but try to do some of the things I suggested, for movies and wmp, and post it here, and we'll go from there ;) Maybe then someone will know the answer ;)

I tryed, but the problem continue, i want to know something:1)do you know a program that uses a microphone to setup your speakers? That program should create a sound from each speaker and, using the input from the microphone, set up the dB values for each channel i think (for example make rear speakers louder if they are too far behind). Because as i know, the manual setup console that creative labs uses doesnt work as it resets the values after each restart. 2) Maybe a little off topic, but worth trying: Do you know a program that can normalize your mp3 songs (it would be the best if it had some sort of batch processing, where you could select a directory and the program would normalize all the mp3?s in that directory to a certain level)? Because i want to get rid of the well known problem: when you copy some mp3?s to your mp3 player and play them, some of the songs play a lot louder, some have relatively normal volume and some play a bit silent on the other hand... and its impossible to adjust (normalize) EACH song in some sound editor... thank's

Hi There,
1) I have the Audigy 2 ZS soundcard accompanied with Creative Gigaworks S750 speakers (btw. they ROCK!!!). All drivers for audigy are up to date. I have concerns regarding the Audigy CMSS function, that should make the mp3´s sound from ALL of the 7 speakers.

The problem is that all the speakers sound OK except the rears, that have only about 10% of the volume the other speakers have (the games work absolutely properly in surround mode, in EAX for ex). And the problem is not in the surround mixer, all the speakers are set to 100%, the rears too...

The CMSS is set to the SECOND option (makes the best results i think) and the speaker configuration is set to 7.1. And there is a slider in the right part, by which you can adjust the FADER, in other words you can adjust how much volume the front speakers will have and how much rear. And here is the problem, when i move the slider down, naturally the REAR speakers should go louder, but they remain the same and the SIDE speakers go louder instead, so there is NO way to increase the volume of rear speakers when listening the music (i use winamp 5, if that matters).

All this changes (and works properly) only when i change the speakers set to 5.1 in the THX console, but that has no use for me (the sides are completely OFF in that case), as i have 7.1 speakers and so, naturally, i want 7.1 setup. And when you dont hear the rear speakers, you simply absolutely dont have the feel of surround CMSS sound and thats what worries me.

So id like to ask whether you have the same problem or you know a solution that could possibly help me or other ppl with such problem. Thanks in advance!

Really thanks in advance for ANY help!!!

I have the same problem, and I just happened to see this topic today. The problem of low volume exists in all players and not just Winamp alone. In fact, I think its most very obvious when you use Creative's Media Player itself. I would love to know if you had figured out how to solve it. Thank you.
Edited by Etrnl (see edit history)