xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wild20

Help With Installing A Content Management System. Help please.

I want to install a CMS, but the problem is taht all the ones on Fantastico like PHPNuke and Xoops, say that it can't start installing iot because the directory Public_html already exists and need to be manually removed. Last time I did this. Nothing worked. Also, I could install this as an index directory. But would I label it html? Php? I am totally lost. Could someone give me a complete guide on how to install these. either way? On what I need to do istall it on either the main directory, or on a sub one with what extension? Thanks in advance.

Notice from mayank:
Moved topic to "HOSTED MEMBERS AREA" from GENERAL TALK" also query answered, topic closed

Wild20,I have installed a CMS only a couple of times and usually to a subsidiary folder under the public_html. Something like jlhaslip . com / forum. Is the CMS from the fantastico? There usually are instructions outlining the methods they reccomend right there. If the CMS installs in the sub-folder, you could then do a re-direct using the cpanel Redirect, if you wanted the CMS to become your Main page.

Yeah I want it to be my main page. But first, is it possible to install it directly into the main folder, or does it require you to put it in a sub folder? Like an index, which is of course the main page. But then my question would be, what is the ending extension? Did you use a index.php? Since this is content management, would you always have a .php, or can you still use a html extension? That is where my question comes into. Or is it possible when installing it with the Fanstastico to just put in the desired directory: index, and then it will automatically put in the ending extension needed? As you can see, I know almost nothing. And yes, it is in Fanstastico.

All of the files and their extensions are taken care of by the CMS Installer, so not to worry.I installed Joomla tonight for a test case and it would not install in my root public_html because of a conflict of file names. Specifically, .htaccess, so I installed it into the sub-directory /joomla. You may be having the same or similar problems with filename conflicts, so phpnuke won't install where you want it to.Now, to access the CMS, the URL is jlhaslip.trap17.com/joomla. When this directory (folder) is accessed, the instructions in the .htaccess file points the user to the correct file to start-up the CMS. I haven't looked, but it is probably Index.php.If I was to make this folder a sub-domain, the address to access it would become joomla.jlhaslip.trap17.com and, again, the .htaccess file looks after pointing me to the correct start-up file.In order to have this CMS become the starting point for a domain, simply do a 're-direct' by using the script in your cpanel. In my case, I would redirect from jlhaslip.trap17.com/index.html to jlhaslip.trap17.com/joomla and the re-direct should fire-up the CMS for the user. Hope this helps to clarify the situation a bit.

Yeah I want it to be my main page. But first, is it possible to install it directly into the main folder, or does it require you to put it in a sub folder?

YOu are facing problem installing it on the main folder which is public_html because there are certain folders like images and possibly others too if you have created. Remove (delete) whatever custom folders you have installed including images, and also index.html. And try to installed again. Since those cms like php-nuke, joomla, xoops may already have images folder with them. Try again and tell us the outcome.

You can definitely install it on the main folder that way. If you want it to be installed in the sub-folder, it shouldn't be having any problem. You can name the sub-folder as cms, or web and it will become yourdomain.trap17.com/cms or yourdomain.trap17.com/web to access your site. You can also redirect yourdomain.trap17.com to yourdomain.trap17.com/cms or yourdomain.trap17.com/web from Cpanel > Manage Redirect page. It is upto you to install the cms anywhere.

Like an index, which is of course the main page. But then my question would be, what is the ending extension? Since this is content management, would you always have a .php, or can you still use a html extension? That is where my question comes into..

The ending extension will be most likely yourdomain.trap17.com/cms/index.php but if you use any search engine friendly url they can change to .html which you need to do a little bit from the cms concerned. For postnuke it is quite easy. But you do not need to worry because when a visitor click yourdomain.trap17.com/cms they will land on the page provided by the cms but make sure that your own index.htm or index.html file is not present there.

Or is it possible when installing it with the Fanstastico to just put in the desired directory: index, and then it will automatically put in the ending extension needed? As you can see, I know almost nothing. And yes, it is in Fanstastico.

You don't need to put any by your own because the cms concerned will put everything in place for you.

Also, the cms in Fantastico are not the latest version always, so if you can download their latest stable version from their respective site it is the best.

All the best!
Edited by Dragonfly (see edit history)

I used Fantastico to install Drupal on my account, and got the same error message, so I just installed it in a sub-directory instead. I hadn't even checked my main page to see what came up until I read this. It shows the Xisto hosting page saying my account is set up at this point. I'll have to do a redirect like jlhaslip mentioned above at some point. Thanks jlhaslip for pointing out how to do that! Currently, I haven't really messed with Drupal beyond setting up a first account and changing the site time to my time zone (EST). I got to looking through it a bit, and realized the reviews I had read about it having a steep learning curve weren't exaggerating! I need to do a lot of tutorial and documentation reading on Drupal before I even think of trying to set up a site. I decided to take a break from doing that to come in here and wander around a bit, just to relax. I do like this forum.

I think the answer is PHP, name your file as filename.php. But something is strange to me; why you must set your file name as php or html, as the program commonly provide the proper name.You should attention that may be you did not set the accessebility of the files and folders.

Okay one more question. If I delete all the index files, then make it install i in a folder called index, will it then treat that as my main page? And does an index directory always act as the main page no matter what extension it has?Let us say that you take the index file and make it index.php. Would that make it the main page no matter what the extension? So far I have only only used either a index.htm or index.html. Would .php or .asp also be the main page? Thanks guys for your help, just this last question.

well wild20, as you are using fantastico to install the CMS..I think you must not face a problem...but you are! (strange one, I've never faced problems in installing scripts with fantastico)

now, I think you must have followed..all the instructions give above...and if not then go ahead and do it...and as far as your question is concerned.....

if you make a directory under public_html called "index" and then upload the current files in it...then people will be able to access it through http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

well...and for your second question.....no matter whatever extension you have...in your case it will be index.php it will take it up automatically and will be your main page....but make sure that you dont have any other file like index.html or index.htm in that same folder...because .html extension is given the preference over .php extension!

So, as far as you dont have the index.html & index.php file in the same folder...your index.php file will act as the main page

Perfect! That is what I needed to know. I will now begin the installation. Thanks for all you help. You to Mayank. Thanks. I just got confused with all that. I will try what you guys suggested since it is all consistent. Good day to all.