xisto Community
odomike

Website Competition Lets run a website competition...

Umm....it just occured to me to post this here...

Can we run a competition here in Xisto for all the hosted members (admins and mods inclusive) who have websites. The competition should be about the best website of all. May be we should be checking things like:

The general design

The typographic aspect

Broken links

Is the site making its main purpose known?

The contents

And every other thing that should be checked in a website...

And probably...depending on what admin thinks about the competition, the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) can win things...say more space and BW (just wondering).

It should make us members to be more serious about our web designs and what kind of design (both graphic and otherwise) we put in our respective websites.

So what do you think? <_<

Could be a good idea. But ppl cud get easily offended if ppl are being honest and differernt ppl ahve differernt opinions on good websites.I for example think websites built souly with a content management systema dn modules are bad, just my preference.

yea i believe it is gonna be a real good thing to do. Still waiting for admin to see my post ans know what he will say about that.

BTW, I personally dont like websites created with content management system modules either. But what we should be considering is the site itself and not how it was designed.

More emphasis should be laid on the programming and the codes should checked too. Again, the website should be checked for its tag optimization too. If a site is designed with CMS, i dont think it will have such.

well. . . i think it would only be fair if content manager sites (phpnuke etc) are raited against fully made sites in terms of design and graphics,. . . just means they score low due to the fact most ppl using them dont design,code or make the graphics for <_< But still think its a good idea.

Here are some rules i have thought of:1) If you submit Php-Nuke, you musnt use a pre-designed layout and you wont be judged on your coding (but if you made it.....)2) Forums can be entered with your own layout but the same rules apply above3) Rewards shouldnt be expected, if someone sees fit to donate something to you then they will of their own acordThese are just off the top of my head. Ill write a full list of what i think later

Here are some rules i have thought of:
1) If you submit Php-Nuke, you musnt use a pre-designed layout and you wont be judged on your coding (but if you made it.....)

2) Forums can be entered with your own layout but the same rules apply above

3) Rewards shouldnt be expected, if someone sees fit to donate something to you then they will of their own acord

These are just off the top of my head. Ill write a full list of what i think later

your rules are fair enough X3ROX. I knew that it is much more difficult to code and design a website than to make one with a CMS. But what i dont fancy there is the idea of no price for the winner. At least, the winner is supposed to have some consolation for his work. Dont you think so?

@Goosestaf

I think your idea is real nice cos of the stress of coding and designing a site compared to having to design it with a CMS Edited by odomike (see edit history)

Great idea! My site deserves a 2/10. But that's because:1.I didn't make it myself...2.At least all the tutorials i made myself and i have sonme adobe skill,3.I'm a good drawer and can draw good cartoons!Oh well, hopefull one day i will learn to program! I know basic knowledge, but eyh...

Hey,This is a great idea! All of here have our own sites designed to our liking.A competetion would be great to find out where it stands in the WorldView!Shall we start?Googlue!

Yeah thats a cool idea it would be really intersting to see whos site wins, if it was held, but CMS has to score low, imo.

Yea sure dontmaimyourself. CMS ought to score low cos the webmaster didnt really design the site himself.

@ BoyCradle

What kind of categories are you refering to?

@ JaVe

You cant say your site is bad. Som other people might see your site as the best. Who knows...

@ Googlue

Sure...Lets start the competetion and know who wins and wha the outside world has to say about our websites.. we can even invite outside website reviewers so that there wont be any kind of partiality in the competition..

Watcha think?

there should be categories for the contest.

That would be dependant on the number of contestants. And besides, we arnt going to have 100 people enter every month (or are we?)

See, I don't like this. Some sites have a point but not an overall one, like mine. (Which has a layout change to come, as with my own news script when I get to it.)Besides that, well.. It should be like a race, categorized by age. <_<