xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
MaineFishing45

Ny & Nj Senators To Stop Ports Deal Wow... this one is common sense

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

?Now of the record, who would ever think to let the United Arab Amenities buy the 3rd Largest Port in NYC?? That?s like opening a terrorist training camp right in the middle of Central Park!

As the article says

Mr. Menendez, whose district includes the ports of Newark and Elizabeth, called the country's ports "a very significant hole within our security blanket." More than 90 percent of the cargo that enters the country by ship does not receive any security screening, he said.

He does have a lot of sense here, and that the Bush Administration says, they passed a review and that there is no "security" theats involved and that Abu Dhabi is a friend of the US.

But read the whole artice as found above (https://myaccount.nytimes.com/auth/login?URI=www-nc.nytimes.com/2006/02/18/nyregion/18port.html&REFUSE_COOKIE_ERROR=SHOW_ERROR) they both have some interesting points and its like a Catch 20-22

---------------------------

UPDATE

---------------------------

There is like 42-40 days or review for the deal, proposed by congress. There going to do something.

--------------------------

FINIAL UPDATE

-------------------------

They are officially stopping the ports, deal I told you that there were terrorists...

Edited by MaineFishing45 (see edit history)

I had no idea most of the container ports on the Eastern seaboard were already owned by foreign companies. But just because it was allowed in the past, does not mean we have to keep doing it that way. That's why airport security practices have been improved and Homeland Security was founded after 9/11. Times have changed, we have to be more security conscious now than in the past. Even if his country is friends with us now, does not mean it may not change in the future. Weren't we kind of friendly with Russia before the October Revolution turned it communist? And Germany before the Nazis took over? And Castro when the CIA helped him fight Batista? Things change, governments change, friends change. We need to change our laws to keep up with changes in some areas, like foreign ownership of any essential US industries, ports, and such. I don't personally approve of some parts of the Patriot Act, as it takes away some of our Constitutional freedoms. But foreign ownership of US ports is definitely something that needs to be taken seriously. There are only a few countries I would consider good enough friends to trust them with owning our ports. Great Britain, Canada, and Australia, for instance, but that's all I can think of offhand. Definitely no company from a politically unstable region like the Middle East, South America or Africa. And they should definitely check more than 10% of cargo containers coming into the US. Maybe they could have done better in the war against drugs if they did. Incidentally, are we still fighting a war on drugs, or did we just give up and decide to fight a war on cigarettes instead, because it's easier to win?

Well you'd think Bush would be smarter then this....well, that'd be something new. It is so stupid...we are at war. You don't just give a large port to someone who is near the war you are fighting. We don't even know if they are good or not. Its just another political move I think.

I mean HT is right.... the next big terror attack is going to be when a bomb goes off under the GWB and blows a hole in the top and cripples transportation for a year and we have another 9/11 or a cargo container ships terrorists and weapons over and something else... how stupid is he? Get a clue Bush! :huh:They have to be hiding some details from the public... I mean, who sketchy is the UAE.... come on even stupid people know that.... lol

Edited by MaineFishing45 (see edit history)

Well you'd think Bush would be smarter then this....well, that'd be something new. It is so stupid...we are at war. You don't just give a large port to someone who is near the war you are fighting. We don't even know if they are good or not. Its just another political move I think.

Now, now Htdefiant, I'm surprised you'd be surprised. Selling a large US port to Arab Emirates is less of a threat than having sold for years untold Treasury Bonds to China to sustain the US economy. Money has no citizenship, far as I know, and shortsightedness has become soooo commonplace for politicians these days. Now you may want to think it twice over next time you vote, that is in 2008, if I'm not mistaken :lol:

Cheers, all!

Now, now Htdefiant, I'm surprised you'd be surprised. Selling a large US port to Arab Emirates is less of a threat than having sold for years untold Treasury Bonds to China to sustain the US economy.

Well thats a shock to me too. But selling bonds is like giving gold or money. Not directly affecting the US like giving 6 MAJOR PORTS away to some Arib company. Thats like letting terrorist open a training camp in central part! :lol: Edited by MaineFishing45 (see edit history)