xisto Community
vblk

Make Your Own Linux Distibution I found out how

I found this great site witch tells us all we need to know about making our own linux distribution. Is'nt it great! Yes we can make our own linux distribution according to our own liking and al. It wont be easy (who said making a OS would be?) but if anybody pulls this off it's sweet sweet success baby. Well the web site is called something like wise guy. The site isn't that goodly made with graphice or anything but it gives the whole thing in a simple whit web page witch load on the click!

The Web page is Click Here

I've read a little bit about this process called "REAMSTERING" and one advantage that comes in my mind would be the possibility to create a livecd that has all applications you currently use might those be office, graphics or even games so that you could run it from any computer and not worry for some app you usually use and can't find on the livecd you have. In linu, everybody has it's preffered applications for doing different tasks and those you can have on your distro by remastering.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ is another place dedicated to creation of your own unique linux distro. I just have one question, If I were to make my own distro, would I be obliged to make it available to oother people. I have no problem doing this except that on dialup it would take forever to upload a linux ISO and all sources for it.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ is another place dedicated to creation of your own unique linux distro. I just have one question, If I were to make my own distro, would I be obliged to make it available to oother people. I have no problem doing this except that on dialup it would take forever to upload a linux ISO and all sources for it.

Nope, if you make it and use for yourself, or even within a private orgainization like a company, your not required to release jack.

Now, if you do release a distro, you have to make the sources available with the CD, but no where in the GPL does it state that you have to do this by making it freely available for download. And once you do release it, others have the right to then take what you did and reuse it.

This means if you wanted too, you could make copies of the live CD and another CD rom containing the source and sell them online for a fee. There can be some wishy-washy legal stuff on "selling" linux, but you charge whatever amount you want as a "handling fee" or what not.

We have an inhouse graphics application we built mostly from an OSS GPLed technology. We feel it gives us a unique competitive advantage over others in our field, so we don't release the tool. However, now that we've switch to all Macintoshes, we've started switching to another commerical tool to do the same thing (Apple Shake in this case). So we've thought about releasing the program we created making it available via CD only and charging $2500 for the CD and jewel case. Of course, chances are your only going to sell one or two copies before someone gets pissy and moany about it in the "Software should be free, as in beer", takes what ever you did, make a couple tweaks, and but it on sourceforge for free.

unless it's for specific purposes...i.e. database or webhost or anything, making your own distro is not really worth the trouble...just use a current distribution and remove what you don't want and put what you want.