xisto Community
kvarnerexpress

Submitting A Form Timeout Issues

This is an extremely bizzare issue that I am rapidly running out of ideas on how to tackle. I'm not certain HTML programming is the right forum, but then again, I'm not sure what problem really is, either.

I have two different domains with web material on them, on seperate servers thru different companies. One page contains a log in form and is hosted in the first domain. The action for the form directs it to a cgi on the second server:

Code:

<form name="LIform" method="POST" action="https://xx.xxx.xx.xxx/cgi-bin/fpcgi">	<input type="HIDDEN" name="TWClientLogIn" value>  	<input TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="Field_ddir" value="/usr/local/apache/htdocs">	<input TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="Field_base" value="tttttt">	<input TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="Field_cmd" VALUE="rreport zzzz -fp yyyy -sr 1055 -n -u">		<input type="text" name="UName" size="30" length="50" maxlength="50" value=""><br>		<input type="password" name="Pwd" size="20" length="50" maxlength="50"><br>		<input type="submit" value="Login" name="B1"></form>

This works just fine on 95% of machines. However, some Windows machines report a timeout when trying to submit the form. It is not an IE issue - using FireFox on such a machine also results in a timeout. So I am fairly certain it is a Windows issue.

So far both affected machines are Windows XP Service Pack 2. However, many machines on which it works are also XPSP2. I've gone through and fiddled endlessly with the internet security settings, disabled the firewall, deleted all cookies and SSL certs, shut down every running process but those the system needs to run, etc. No dice. Anyone have any advice or seen a similar problem? I could really use a clue, here.

well, i have a friend who has a contact form that the action is linked to my server since his doesn't support contact forms, and it works fine for him..jsut as long as the full action url is put in there like youve shown above.. i havent neccesarly tryed it with a login code but i think it would be the same..but maybe it isn't, have you concidered hosting the ACTION page on the same server as the login form and seeing if that makes a differense?i know this was probably not much help but i am just trying >_<

The problem will most probably come from this line in bold.

<form name="LIform" method="POST" action="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;>

Be sure that the server hosting the scripts where you typed in the "action" parameter is working without errors and they accept requests at anytime. Some servers due to lag issues or overloading are unable to process your requests, will result in a ping timeout and/or return an invalid page. If that happens, it basically meant that the servers are currently unable to perform your request.

Also notice that in your "action" parameter, it's a https but not a normal http protocol. That would probably be that case where the user, which probably is yourself, has logged into their servers to use their scripts, but did not perform any requests or remain on that particular page without moving into other of the pages in the server, will automatically log you out after a certain inactive time period which is set by the servers. There's no way to solve this issue as this is a configuration on the servers, unless you are the server administrator. However, an alternative to this is to use another external script, or 3rd party scripts. that does the same function on a public domain, that is without https.

Maybe you would like to tell us that you are trying to do with your form, we may be able to find and provide you with some other alternative scripts that you can use. After we've found that scripts, you just have to change and edit the "action" parameter. Nothing else to be edition in the rest of your form, so you need not worry.

If you are having trouble with timeout before you want, just embed this code in the head section-->

<script type="text/javascript">window.SetTimeout('document.Forms[0].Submit()', 1000000)</script>

This code would allow your users to have 1000 seconds (about 16mins) to fill up and submit their form. You can change the number as you like. The unit of the duration is milliseconds. So providing 1000000 would mean 1000 seconds. 

Have a nice day :)

For any more queries refer to me at rahul-bhattacharya.Blogspot.Com

-reply by Author

This is a general problem with firefox 3 that we have discovered. We have discovered many sites that work with FF2, Safari, Konqueror, etc that don't work with FF3.

It seems to be when CSS styling has been used and is, IMHO, a bug within the FF3 rendering engine. It seems to strike with form submission where the browser reports sending the form but it never returns.

Setting timeout has no effect. And it also seems to be related to using HTTPS.