xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Chez

'single Board Computer' Help

I saw on Fark one day some guy put an SBC computer inside an empty whisky bottle, approx 1.5litre. Using a 3.5" SBC socket 370 with pentium III and mini-ITX psu and a 2.5" slim laptop HDD. I liked the idea so much I decided to build one for my apartment =)

So I did some research and I THINK have the parts I need (...in my shopping cart).

Here's what I have so far:
1 2 litre Jack Daniels whisky bottle (actually in-hand, not online)
1 JREX-786LCD SBC 3.5"
1 a penitum III 733EB or similar (see below)
1 40gig laptop HDD, but not for $60!
1 PicoPSU

unsure about the CPU though. The one the guy used was a 733eb model, but unless I'm missing something, I could buy a faster chip for relatively the same price. I don't know wether he used it for voltage requirements or heat output or heat/performance ratio... not sure. but here's the chips I'm looking at buying:
the 733eb
the Coppermine Pentium III (sans HSF)
This one (comes with HSF)

OR
I could get an embedded SBC board, but those run pretty expensive after I breach the 300mhz mark. Anyone have any ideas on cheap embedded boards that fint the 3.5" dimensions and can run linux?

Also, the jack daniel's bottle is huge, 4" square. So I can fit in multiple HDDs for a larger, more upgradable server. Problem is, it's clear. I want this thing to sit with the rest of my liquor bottles and attract no attention to itself. Being clear, someone half the room away would see the circuits and be "oh, it's a computer" but the coolness comes from noone realizing it until they look behind it were the ethernet and power cords are connected. Then they're more impressed. The origional bottle the guy used was a dark-brown bottle, so I'm hoping I can find a chemical die I can swash around inside the jack daniel's bottle to colorize it. If I can get it at least as dark as a cup of tea, I'll keep it. else I have to go out and buy some other bottle that is actually colored (you guys can help with that if you're in the area) :huh:
Ideas on a die?

Edited by Chez (see edit history)

I saw on Fark one day some guy put an SBC computer inside an empty whisky bottle, approx 1.5litre. Using a 3.5" SBC socket 370 with pentium III and mini-ITX psu and a 2.5" slim laptop HDD. I liked the idea so much I decided to build one for my apartment =)
So I did some research and I THINK have the parts I need (...in my shopping cart).

Here's what I have so far:
1 2 litre Jack Daniels whisky bottle (actually in-hand, not online)
1 JREX-786LCD SBC 3.5"
1 a penitum III 733EB or similar (see below)
1 40gig laptop HDD, but not for $60!
1 PicoPSU
unsure about the CPU though. The one the guy used was a 733eb model, but unless I'm missing something, I could buy a faster chip for relatively the same price. I don't know wether he used it for voltage requirements or heat output or heat/performance ratio... not sure. but here's the chips I'm looking at buying:
the 733eb
the Coppermine Pentium III (sans HSF)
This one (comes with HSF)

OR
I could get an embedded SBC board, but those run pretty expensive after I breach the 300mhz mark. Anyone have any ideas on cheap embedded boards that fint the 3.5" dimensions and can run linux?

Also, the jack daniel's bottle is huge, 4" square. So I can fit in multiple HDDs for a larger, more upgradable server. Problem is, it's clear. I want this thing to sit with the rest of my liquor bottles and attract no attention to itself. Being clear, someone half the room away would see the circuits and be "oh, it's a computer" but the coolness comes from noone realizing it until they look behind it were the ethernet and power cords are connected. Then they're more impressed. The origional bottle the guy used was a dark-brown bottle, so I'm hoping I can find a chemical die I can swash around inside the jack daniel's bottle to colorize it. If I can get it at least as dark as a cup of tea, I'll keep it. else I have to go out and buy some other bottle that is actually colored (you guys can help with that if you're in the area) :lol:
Ideas on a die?

if you pull this off, we want to see the pics first....

I saw that posted on digg.com a few days ago...

BUt does anyone know the difference between the pentium 3 chips besides ofr "big die" "small die" ?So far, it's the only thing holding me back from getting the parts and starting my build (yes, pics will definately follow :lol: )I already found a glasscutting place that'll do my bottle, a friend's donating a smaller 12gig 2.5" HDD and the jack daniel's bottle is cleaned, sterilized (don't ask, i just like a clean computer) and prepped to go! Only need to pick out a decent PIII