xisto Community
delivi

Gmail For Domains New GMail Service

Google has Officially launched the GMail for Your Domains service today.

You can visit theGmail for your domain Official Site.

The Official declaration is made in the Official Google Blog.

This Service is started with the San José City College. Now all mails sent to this domain will be forwarded to their GMail Accounts.

Anyone who owns a domain can signup for this Beta Service here. Login with your Google Account and fillout the form and you are set ready for this new service.

You may have to wait for sometime to get this service.

I got updated with the latest happeing in GMail through Google Alert Service

Edited by delivi (see edit history)

So if I'm exepted, anyone using my sites email can login to it using Gmail? Pretty cool, I signed up.

Its not my flavor of coolaid if you know what i mean. lol. It sounds like a good thing. But I don't know. I think its a way to get more ads shown and stuff.tell me how it goes...

hm this is a pretty silly idea i think. it says "evebody from some college now get all their emails forwared to their gmail account" i mean like since when is it new to have email forwarders. i have it to for my Xisto hosting accoutn to forward my emails to my gmail accound and i cant really see any diffrence in this now.

iwuvcookies you are right this can lead to lots of Ads and stuffs.

But Google has made a way to prevent the Misuse of this service. Because any one can provide any domain to be used in this service. So Google has brought strict validation of all domains submited for this service and only the legal owner of the domain can use this service. So there'll no ads and other related stuffs.

sxyloverboy this is not mail forwarding service. By providing your domain to this service, google will act as the mail server for your domain. And you can access the mails from the server using a GMail ID. So this is entirely different from mail forwarding.

Now GMail for Domains is now being widely adopted by Universities in US. This helps them minimize their costs by using the GMail for their web servers. They dont need to own a seperate mail server. The users can access their GMail accounts to check the mails sent to their domains.

i don't exactly understand, this means that if someone is mailing to board@university.com the mails are being forwarded to a gmail account corresponding to that group, right? I didn't read the links as i don't really have the time right now but maybe you can answer, that applies for every email adress the university has? And, the storage for each account is still 2.*** gb unchanged, is it?

the emails are NOT being forwarded! If you apply for this, your domains mail servers are set up on google servers. BAsically, what gmail is doing, is giving you 2gb of free email space for all the emails on your domain. All emails sent to xxx@yourdomain.com are routed (not forwarded) to gmail servers.the difference between forwarding and directly routing the email is:Forward email - the email sent to youremail@yourdomain.com is first sent to yourdomain.com's email server. Then yourdomain.com's email server sends it on to gmail.Direct routing - the email sent to youremail@yourdomain.com does NOT goto yourdomain.com's email server. It is routed directly to gmail's servers.

ok, got it, thank you, but for an institution isn't it little 2gb? Perhaps another dumb question:P

i am assuming google is going to give out 2gb PER ACCOUNT. just like their regular gmail service for the public

no9t9 i am assuming google is going to give out 2gb PER ACCOUNT. just like their regular gmail service for the public

The google for domains service has no limited space for each account. All the mails received are stored in the Google's mail server and they can be accessed from our GMail account. Edited by delivi (see edit history)

So if i had a website and thus a domain i could sign up and have a lot more than those 2,6 or so gb? How many of the gmail users don't have a website?

This Service is only for the GMAil users who've a domain registered to their name. One cannot use a domain names offered freely like .co.nr or .tk and so on. But you can use .be domains.

Now Google is offering free websites to all its GMail users so soon all the GMail users will have their own websites up and running.