xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Unregistered 015

Do You Use (or Plan To) Asp.net? Or some other .NET based evniroment?

I'm interested how many of you use .NET framework, how do you like it, what are it's pros and cons, and anything that comes accross your mind related to it?I'm using PHP/MySQL combination for now, but I'm considering move to ASP.NET. I've never even used ASP, so what do you recommend? ASP.NET or NOT ASP.NET? Or maybe to start with ASP?

Let me explain the differences between the two.ASP - Basically, you make a page with some VBScript or JavaScript/JScript in it. You have some new objects available to you, like the Request, Response, and Server objects. It's not a very high power environment, but may be sslightly easier to learn. Low performance - pages are interperted each time they are run (correct me if I'm wrong). Code can be found interspersed all over the page (aka Spaghetti code), making debugging much hared. The only objects accessible are any ActiveX objects installed on the server.ASP.Net - Next generation of ASP. Has a totally different model, of which ASP developers might not understand. Pages are made into an application more than a Web page. You have controls, which act similar to controls in desktop programming, and event handlers, which react to events (like a button control being clicked, or a checkbox being checked) made by the controls that you put in the page. For the code you write, you have access to the entire .Net Framework class library. Pages are compiled only once before being run, and then shawdowed and cached. You can easily add your own classes to your application.

I am experienced in using both ASP and ASP.NET with C# and vb.net.For me, ASP is only a scripting language. When you need some advanced functionalities, such as file IO, you may need to make use of some COM components. COM generally need to be deployed in the server before it can be referenced. The structure of the code written by ASP generally cannot be well-organized since it is not a object oriented design. Many lines of code may sit in a one page. I think the structure of code of ASP is similar to PHP in some extend. However, ASP is already a little old.ASP.NET is a framework that specifically designed for building web application. Together with Visual Studio.NET, it is very convenience to build a simple web site or even a enterprise web application. The library of .NET framework already provide a lot of useful functions which are essential for a web application, such as authentication, paging and grid controls, etc. The structure of the code of ASP.NET is generally more readable than that of ASP or PHP, since it is a OO design.Therefore, no matter you want to build a simple web page or an enterprise web application, you still have to go with ASP.NET.Actually, I am currently using ASP.NET 2.0 in my job. I am sure that using ASP.NET can save much of the development time than that of using ASP or PHP.

Currently I'm working on PHP & MySQL platform. I'm planning to get a certification in ASP.NET and SQL Server.Eventhough PHP & MySQL is more popular, the big corporates prefer to use ASP.NET technology to power their websites and web serivces. So learning ASP.NET is a good investment and you can get big corporate orders.

I'm using C#, it's really great programing language You don't need to think about such unnecessary things like type conversion or memory leaks after closing the application. And the best think is ability to use C# in web applications. I really recommend to use ASP.NET! it is pleasure to create pages and apps with NET framework and mono makes .NET applications run on linux. I hope You will be happy using NET as I am.

I have been using it for some time... for some 6-7 months during my internship in Intel. Now have completely shifted Java based things and have no use for asp. But i still remember things in asp and very well can work on it if i get a chance.

I do not find myself using ASP.net anytime soon. I think I'll stick with my PHP and Perl. ASP.net requires a Windows server, which I frankly do not want. I do not know much about ASP, but I tried learning it, and I was really confused. It seemed like beefed up Javascript or VBScript.

I am currently using both ASP.NET and PHP. The have both advantages and disadvantages.ASP.NET:-There is almost nothing of information about it on the internet.-Powerfull IDEs-Basic design-Integration with .NET framework-Vey dinamic server.-Low compatibility with DBs-ExpensivePHP:-A lot of information and examples.-Free of charge-Complex web pages-"Dirty" syntax-Not many IDEs(they are some bad)-Integration with most DBs

I use asp.net for my company site at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ is lack in ajax features (imho), you know why, because the ajax control toolkit is lack of features. And PHP ajax is growing very fast as you can see, i think php still leads the international website since it is free, and even free hosting like Xisto, and it is growing with large community supporting it (because of free).

That's a definite advantage with asp.net over php in thatyou have an elaborate drag and drop IDE,where as Phpis basically notepad based as far as programming. Asp/sql servers appear to be a lot more expensivethan php/mysql servers too.One could say that Asp is definitlymuch more corporate.

What are ASP and ASP.net? I saw that Visual Studio can write code for it, but I don't even understand what it is.And what can they be related to?(Like HTML, Java, etc.)

What are ASP and ASP.net? I saw that Visual Studio can write code for it, but I don't even understand what it is.
And what can they be related to?(Like HTML, Java, etc.)

Well according to what I know, ASP.net is a server side scripting language (a web app. framework), and ASP is the older version that isn't recommended to use.

Wikipedia has this:

ASP.NET is a web application framework developed and marketed by Microsoft to allow programmers to build dynamic web sites, web applications and web services. It was first released in January 2002 with version 1.0 of the .NET Framework, and is the successor to Microsoft's Active Server Pages (ASP) technology. ASP.NET is built on the Common Language Runtime (CLR), allowing programmers to write ASP.NET code using any supported .NET language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asp.net

Active Server Pages (ASP) is Microsoft's first server-side script engine for dynamically-generated web pages. It was initially marketed as an add-on to Internet Information Services (IIS) via the Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack, but has been included as a free component of Windows Server since the initial release of Windows 2000 Server.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Server_Pages
So, actually ASP.Net can be compared to PHP. For me PHP wins because it's multi-platform and free - which is not the case of ASP.net (or any other closed MS language)

Does anyone who uses ASP know what makes it better than PHP then? I'm just thinking if there's a free format that works just as good as the paid, why would anyone want to use the paid?Unless it's speed-related or something.

Does anyone who uses ASP know what makes it better than PHP then? I'm just thinking if there's a free format that works just as good as the paid, why would anyone want to use the paid?
Unless it's speed-related or something.

Well I don't actually know why they choose it over PHP, but from what I've seen they choose it because of its (by their opinion):

- Better IDE and faster writing of code
- Easier to learn

and this last one by my opinion:

- It's a Microsoft product, which by definition is great.

Notice the sarcasm in the last sentence.

Lol, I try to steer clear of Microsoft any chance I get.About it being easier to learn, that's a definite possibility. I haven't even looked into PHP coding to be honest. I need to though at some point, or ASP if they are really the same.