xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lozbo

Title Attribute and HTML entities for special characters

Hi, I've had this trouble for a time now, I use dreamweaver to develop the sites I work with, and dw always writes the code for me (not that I don't know anything about xhtml, in fact i consider myself and advanced user of xhtml, but I know that its faster to use dreamweaver to code than write it down from scratch, and I can still fix the little issues that dw generates into the code).But the fact is that I work with websites that need the content in spanish, so I use html entities to declare special characters such ? ? ? ? ? or ?, all of which always behave well with a charset=iso-8859-1. The problem is when it comes to the Title attribute, because it doesnt seem to allow entities, but Im not sure if it is still showing correctly in other countries... Does some one know something about this?

Oh yes! :)
I've had the same problem with accents in french
You just have to type &code; in the title not the caracter that you see
when you type it in the keyboard

example :

<a href="some_wehere_over_the_rainbow.thm" title="café noir">go find some coffee</a>

hope this helps :P

That requires HTML acsii codes. An example would be one given from cafefort. The HTML Acsii code is very simple to implement. A very comment code with many web creator, like dreamweaver, places is   which means a space. Another one is © which means a copyright sign (?). I'm sure you can do it using these HTML acsii codes.

Here's a list of codes which you will have to take reference from.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Since you considered yourself as an advance xHTML user, I'm sure you know how to implement this codes to your site. It's should somewhat be something basic to you.

I know what are those things you say, and as far as I am concerned, they are called XHTML ENTITIES, as the thread's title reads... what i wanted to know is if those entities are still working on things like <alt> <title> or even text generated through js <script>... Because it seem to work fine here but i am not sure if it works some where else...

I think you're worried about it more than you should be. There are some cases where people turn off tooltips. But, if it works for you, it shouldnt be much of a problem. It's based on how the browser handles it, i guess. If they have a good browser, which isnt hard to get a hold of, it shouldnt be much of a problem.

For me, if I am you, I'd test the script with 3 browsers which more people commonly will use. Internet Explorer, Firefox and Opera. If it works on all these browsers as much as what you've programmed to be, you can be sure it will look the same for the rest elsewhere. If you are still worried, I suggest you can upload it up and post the link here. We are all gladly to test and make a screenshot for you. :angry: