xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Inspiron

Ibm Promises 10 Times Faster Wifi operates at a clock speed of 60 GHZ at 630 Mbps

The chip is based on the evolving IEEE 802.15.3c specification for wireless communication, which utilizes frequencies higher than the Wi-Fi or any other wireless standard. IBM said that the chip operates at a clock speed of 60 GHZ, far faster than the standard 2.4 gigahertz or 5 gigahertz speeds that WiFi wireless networking chips use today. In the lab, Gaucher said IBM's prototype chip could transfer data at 630 Mbps, and could improve in a few years to anywhere from 1 gigabit a second to 5 gigabits a second.

Full article :

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Ok, the future of networks is becoming crazy and unbelievable.. 630Mbps will be sufficient in many commercial usage, be it transfering huge images or high-defination multimedia content across the local network. I believe the 100Mbps wired lan stardard will one day become obsolete once this new standard takes it's place. No more wires in future, except for your power cables.. Yeah! :rolleyes:

I'll definitely stick to my wired home network, there's no problem with WiFi-Hijackers if there is no WiFi network ;) by the way, the wired network technology for home users is not at 100MBps anymore but it has reached 1GBps already (and I'm using it already :huh:); there are 10GBps-devices for pro-users but they didn't reach the end-user market and there will probably not be a use for that in home networks for the next couple of years, especially not while WiFi hasn't reached the upper limits yet...... but ... well ... 630MBps wireless sounds nice ;) I wonder when there will be hard drives able to cope with that...

I agree, It's amazing how the internet speeds are changing so dramatically and even getting faster than the connection speed from one computer to another, possibly in the same room, on the same network.At this rate, in a few years time, the current speed for this wifi network will not be at the suggested 1-5GB, it would be more like 6-10GB. However, they're bound to find some limitation somewhere along the line which delays production.It would be nice though, knowing there was a super faster wifi connection.

Thats amazing lol...Mayby Google and other big computer companies will use that technology, doesnt google have something like 20,000 computers running at their California base?Ill stay loyal to USB 2 though lol