xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sammaye

Viruses!

Urgh dont you just hate having a virus???!!!About 2 weeks ago I thought ill download something from cnet which will allow me to take video screenshots...what I didnbt know is that it was actually a virus, I am not sure how it got there but it did and it was from that program.What I didnt know is that the site actualy redirected me to another page which contained a version of the download which had a virus in.I dont know who thinks they are clever for destroying a computer but who ever they are they need a serious lesson in having a social life...So i have had this viruse and in turn lost my hosting :) whihc I am not pleased about!...and apparently the virus tried to get off of my computer too to other computers fortaunately my friends have hotmail accounts so the built in virus scanner for hotmail detected it and deleted the file from the email.but I still have lost 15 credits on my hosting and lost some very important data...Urgh how I would like to get my hands on who ever made this virus....urghAnd now recenty I just installed alcohol 120% and my computer at hoe keeps restarting now :rolleyes: so now I have some other wierd thing on my computer...hopefully its jus a wrongly installed driver but sounds a bit like the sasser worm....urgh!!!

I've not had to deal with viruses much, but I hate any kind of malware. It makes me mad, too. Well, I guess they make them because they don't have a life and just want to cost people (and compainies) to loose as much money as they can. As much information as some people store on computers, they could create some of them to destroy that information. Anyway, I really wish people would stop making them, but they won't do it any time soon.

I have had virus problems like you can not belive. I have destroyed one computer and have had to take another one to get viruses taken out of it. With the second computer that I got came internet. I was very eager to start browsing and downloading even though I did not have virus protection (I can not believe I did that). I opened a program and all of the sudden it duplicated the program window about 100 times. I was sitting there wondering what on Earth happened. We took the computer to get it fixed and they had it on some kind of program/scan running 24/7 and it took a week to get it to work again. The other computer had active virus protection but apparently it was not very good. I downloaded some sort of file and I clicked on it. Nothing happened and I sat there dazed. Out of nowhere came a box that said I had a virus. I couldn't delete it, clean it, or anything. Turns out the virus infected a Windows file and the computer had to be taken to the shop. I have been virus free for about two years now since I know more about computers and have gained more knowledge but viruses stink they are the worste thing to happen to computers.

If you have viruses or spyware that are making your computer do funny (or not so funny) things, there are several free anti-virus programs out there that really work, some even better than the paid-for. AVG Free works well with removing viruses, and Ad-Aware works really well with removing spyware. If you use these two together, it'll most likely rid you of your problem.

I totally agree... I don't know what would motivate people to create malevolent coding. I've never had an experience with viruses, thanks to Ad-Aware and McAfee; I've downloaded them, but McAfee deletes it real quick, whew! You've just gotta protect yourself... it's a shame that we have to, but that's just how the internet is: a few normal users, some perverts, and hackers...

I totally agree... I don't know what would motivate people to create malevolent coding. I've never had an experience with viruses, thanks to Ad-Aware and McAfee; I've downloaded them, but McAfee deletes it real quick, whew! You've just gotta protect yourself... it's a shame that we have to, but that's just how the internet is: a few normal users, some perverts, and hackers...

me agree.

I used to have McAfee, but it never worked on my computer...I was never able to delete viruses or store them in the vault, which was kind of annoying. I believe there was one other really amazing anti-virus program that I had that worked extremely well...I'll try and find it.

I haven't had to deal with viruses very much in the last couple of years. I've been pretty good about keeping my computer clean. I remember a while back though. My friend had brought me over this CD with a Linux distro called Knoppix (boots/runs completely from a CD) on it. He said to use it incase I ever got a virus and I needed to restore data from a secure environment. So I put it aside thinking I won't need it. Then a week or so down the road.. I get a virus. I clean it. But it's still there! It's started infecting all of my .exe, .zip and .mp3 files! So, I pop Knoppix in the drive.. (I think this is where I should mention that I know absolutely NOTHING about Linux heh) reboot.. boot to linux.. and stare at the screen. So, then about 10 minutes later I'm formatting my hard-drive and reinstalling windows.Sucks to get infected =/Wear your e-rubbers!

Virus.. haa the word itseenms fears us..Man i too had the same problem, my system was full of virus and spy.. I had to format my system other than this there was no otpion to me.Immediately after formatting i installed Norton Antivirus and even microsoft antispywareI think there is till some little spy in my system dont know which antispy to use now.]If anybody knows any antispywares please let me know, i wanted it deperately.. :huh:

There are those who create backdoor virus' simply to get access to your banking information as well as any other personal data they can sell. I recall reading an article in the nytimes of a swedish bugger who apparently had access to 1200 computers worldwide, which he stole personal info from and sold to data farmers. He used the computers to attack large sites like yahoo, and microsoft as well simply for kicks.I should point out that a number newer virus'/worms are coded to shut down any antivirus that is installed, so a firewall is definitely a required program to keep them out. Also, make sure your admin password is not easily guessable (add numbers or join odd words if necessary).AVG + Adware/Spybot:Search and Destroy + Zone Alarm are what I use and so far I've been successful in blocking any attacks.

I've been using Symantec / Lava-Soft / Windows Firewall for the last... year and a half or so with no issues. Seems to work pretty well. Not so sure about the Windows Firewall.. I'll probably get ZoneAlarm again (though the program bugs me).

Yeah I have Comcast High-Speed and they offer McAfee for free, which is great, because it's pretty expensive if you are buying it at retail price. It includes automatic updating and the whole-shebang and it also has a really nifty firewall, I love it.