xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
beeseven

Google "forgets" To Filter Chinese Searches

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=590

You may have heard on the news or internet recently that Google and the Chinese government set up an agreement for Google to filter searches coming from China. Apparently, for a little while, Google "forgot" to filter searches with capital letters, letting Chinese people see things that the government didn't want them to see.

An interesting thing, try going to Google China Images now and searching for "Tiananmen" (the string in the picture). Notice how happy every result looks?

Wow. That's crazy how they all look happy. I tried googling the same thing on Google.com and came up with some kind of war scenes. So what will the Chinese government do if people start using Google.com instead?

I hate it how the chinese government etc do all these rules and things. They limit the people to EVERYTHING... if they aren't allowed to access some information that is filtered... it also makes them EVEN MORE curious.If the government are good they wont have anything to hide. They are basically sheltering their people. I know there is probably a reason to why they do all this but I'm just glad I don't live there. (i'm chinese)

Google wouldn't forget something like that, they aren't stupid right? They probably did it on purpose! :PYes China seems to be a stupid country to live in with all the hiding of information and stuff, luckily I live in Europe :)

China is not a good country in any way. They are a communism country and thay (government) do not care for people. So thay have to hide some news from all the world. If people will discover that there is a beter way one can live, and thay will release that thay can change thair own country, that will be the end of communists. So the government prefres to use power to shut up everyones mouths, eyes and ears. The way google behaved with China is disappointing for many people in Poland. We were a communistic country back 18 years ago. We were the first country which managed to seperate from ZSSR. Google is really cool search engine, company, many brilliant ideas comes from there, but this kind of behaviour is not appropriate. Another aspect is that it may be good for China. Because some information is better than any, and maybe Chinesse people will find a way to use goole to discover some unwanted inomation.I had an idea of creating a flash page with all that hiden information, with links etc. As we know google can not understand flash so this site will not be recognised by google as one containing forbiden information. And if someone will manage to get high pagerank, by having a lot of links to that site from other sites with "legal information", and there will be som "legal" information on this flash pag in plain html too. It is possible that someone i China will find this page pretty quickly.And another bad news about china. The government is using old trick against people. It makes them to watch themselves. If someone sniches of forbidden activity and it comes true, the one will get free internet for some period of time. That way people are spying each other and sniching to the government about thair nighbours. It is said that for every 100 ineternauts 20 of them are "hackers" trying to get Internet for free.What do you think about that?

I think the Chinese government don't want we to know what plans they are coming up to invade America. LOL. its definitely a possiblity. Like this GOogle Earth thing. but that's just on another level. I saw chinese search results one time i searched on google. I think it was a few days ago. I found it weird. I was thinking "when did google allowe chinese search results?" SO now i know. Giving people FREE internet in exchange for homeland spies is sort of evil.

ohh...nah,i just find this problem and i did not why our government did that for foreign people.in home,i can browse anything from images.google.cn,but it is a hiden info about china for abroad people.just like the link http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=590 ,you can only see a war scene from picture Posted Image

but i search tiananmen,the coming result is beneath:

which show you some great tiananmen building landscape without any war picture!

Posted Image

it is really a wondering action to anyone who want to realize china...who did it?

If you read the artical linked it says it was noted on the techsupport board with a message encouragaing people's free access. So i'd deffinatly say it was on purpose.

As far as the whole cenorship thing goes...if a country tries to blantently rewrite history it'll only encourage people more against it; for a few generations. Still, there are people fighting it even more seriously. For instance, PeaceFire.org created a circiumventor, which (amoung other things) has the ability to help get around china's firewall.

Now... this is really giving me the creeps... I searched it in the chinese site, and everything was happy... But when I searched in my Google (Philippines), it showed the tanks. I've never seen filtering like this before, and it really freaks me out. I never knew the situation was like that in China. They really manipulated the media and the people into thinking that everything was all right. This is unbelievable... :) I'm kinda scared of China now... I hope they can get out of this situation right now... The reason why some countries dare not interfere with China's communism, is probably because they have those war weapons... Plus, they're a communist country. Who knows what they can do? No one can stop them. Seriously... I didn't know China's state was in such a mess...

Yea, I hate that when you get picked up by some forein site. Then the pop-ups go like mad and you dont know what to click because everyhting is in chineese! Tuff spot to be in. =/ I am also curious of why these sites arent filtered out?