xisto Community
Moolkye

What Is Your Favorite Portal Or Cms? What is your favorite Portal or CMS?

I recently tried out Joomla. It's quite nice. Very organized layout, and you can put everything from news to personal blogs. I think it would be perfect for a project/business site.For a simple, personal site, WordPress (and/or Nucleus) do the job quite well. Some might even say they share the same theme system.

I use Wordpress as it is simple, intuitive and easy to use, but you still get the flexibility of being able to edit various files to customise your site to make it more personal. Even themes and plugins are incredibly simple to use, but still have advanced functionality. It also runs quite fast, compared to other CMSs I have seen.

I'm actually just making my first website using a cms. Before this i'd only used html and a bit of css. Css really helped my sites load faster. I've been searching for a while and i'm down between bitweaver and MDpro. MD pro seems to be the one with more functions but bitweaver just seems so much faster and easier to use. I'll get back to you on that though. I'm trying them both out now. I'll probably be done after a few more days of trial and error. Only prob is that Xisto seems to only give me 8MB of processing memory to work with. Bitweaver says that 8MB is the minimum and i should try to get more. Does anyone know how to get more or do i have to change hosts? Darn, I like Xisto.

I've used most of the content management systems available on the net and I would say every cms has plus point which may be different from others. To be exact I've installed and tried out on drupal, dragonfly cms, phpwebsite, php-nuke, postnuke, xoops, mambo, joomla from its infancy days, e107 and etomites. I would say Joomla is the best with the best support. It has got a very bright future with its development team announcing a very clear roadmap for the baby Joomla. And the support one get there is tremendous atleast at this stage. Many developers are there announcing new components and modules, templates, etc every other day. Mambo seems to be losing out with the 4.5.3 coming out with 10MB which according to some expert on mambo says that it is too big a file compare to the previous version only around 1.4MB.Apart from Joomla, the next choice for me is Xoops and then Postnuke. PHP-Nuke will come last since I don't like to see the footer Copyright intact, so does the etomite.

Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent, but how do you add that function where you can change the font size on your blog on Wordpress (like the leaf skin for Nucleus).

on wordpress, you need to configure the stylesheet (style.css) of your theme to effect the font size you want. :) look under PRESENTATION > THEME EDITOR in your wordpress admin control panel, or simply edit the file offline and re-upload it.

next time, shigajet, just create a new thread for your query (if nothing related crops up after searching the forums) so we can keep the current thread ON topic. :rolleyes:

For community driven websites I use CPG Nuke (9.0 is also called CPG Dragonfly), for les community driven websites like smaller clansites or websites about esports teams I use LandDownUnder.

I've been thinking about Joomla and Mambo, but MDPro is what I'm most familiar with. I only really know html so beyond implementation I've not too tech savy, at the mercy of the CMS in question. But I like MDPro a lot, and it comes ready to be its own site which I kind of like. To an extent I'm in it to have fun with the technical powers at my disposal and I've always been interested in having a place to publish thoughts. To be able to treat a website differently than it is normally treated and challenge visitors to change their conventions even. But yeah, MDPro is flashy and technical and awesome. Joomla, etc. strike me as bland a bit because I don't immediately see toys to play with (surely they are there, but some element is missing).

I really like http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/ because this CMS is open source, and is unique. It has less exploits mainly because less people use it and less people hack it. It's similar to the Mac VS Windows concept... Macs may be less secure (if someone were to hack it), but seriously, who wants to hack a Mac? Just like how CMSmadesimple might not patch every exploit every day... but if no one uses it who wants to hack it? I think that CMS made simple is really great, and it really offers a lot. The people who code it are really friendly and helpful, unlike the Wordpress coders who don't have the time to answer questions. Of course, one day cmsmadeimple would be famous and then it would just be like Wordpress :P

I have tried Joomla and Wordpress and both have their own intendend use, Joomla being a full feature CMS and Wordpress for smaller and easy solutions. If I were to start a serious and big community I'd use the Community Server by teligent. It is free (depending on the version) and open source, yet it needs a Windows based webserver (IIS) to run as it is written for the .NET Framework.

I really like http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/ because this CMS is open source, and is unique. It has less exploits mainly because less people use it and less people hack it. It's similar to the Mac VS Windows concept... Macs may be less secure (if someone were to hack it), but seriously, who wants to hack a Mac? Just like how CMSmadesimple might not patch every exploit every day... but if no one uses it who wants to hack it?

Off subject, but while true generally that is not always the case. There are more Linux servers than windows based ones, but the Windows ones get hacked more often. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

What is your favorite Portal or CMS?
I personally like Joomla
https://www.joomla.org/

What about the rest of you guys and gals?

Dan

I also personally like Joomla, its far way better than any other CMS or Portal Systems.
I've made a few hacks for joomla to make it better, and notice the very much active community that supports it.
It is OpenSource and got the best administration section CMS.