xisto Community
Tenshigami

"labels" I hate them

Okay I know I am not alone on this one. Who here are tired of being labled? I have gone trough 16 years of being labled and its starting to tick me off big time. I have been called "emo", "cutter" and tons other and its compleatly wrong! Alright I am quiet and I like the "goth" style in clothing, that dosent mean that I am an cutter! And then people have the nerve to asume that they know me HA! Its just a way of placing people into catagorys! Makes others feel better to know that they think they have you figgured out. Its human nature to be afraid of what you do not uderstand, I cna simpathise with that but to then asume someone has nothing but ill intent because of that now that crosses a line! Last I checked we are all HUMAN and not anything but that! Then you get the racism issue! WHO CARES WHAT COLOR YOUR SKIN IS! My god so what if someone is white and the other is black or mexican or japanese! IT SHOULDENT MATTER! SO I am here just to tell all the people who like to place labels on others to *BLEEP* OFF! Kiss my **bottom** and suck it up you hipocritical SOB! Thank you and have a nice day. :)

Notice from jlhaslip:
Editted Topic title to correct spelling
Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

You?re right but it?s something we all have to deal with. You can?t control what people thinks about you, but try to think this way. If someones mislabel you, it?s his problem, and you shouldn?t care.

Labels are a part of human society. Why, if we didn't have labels, then we wouldn't approach people, ask them about themselves. .... like that. I personally label all of the people I see, there are people I don't accosiate with, though I am not mean and cruel. If I see a trenchcoat walking behind me, YA ill cross the street, Im neverous 24/7. If we didn't have labels, we would know who was caring enough to pour our souls out to them.

What's a cutter (apart from a type of boat)?

A cutter is usually a problem among American teens. They cut themselves with scissors, knives, etc., usually because of emotional depression.

lables are a commodity. people have the urge to structure the world around them. what they see on surface - that they use to memorize a particular person. beleive me, it would be REALLY tireing if you had to consider everybody as an unique and complete individual. so to say, "one girlfriend/boyfriend is enough". and as you can't go deep inside everyone, only on certain aspects, for the rest you leave the label. don't get me wrong - of somebody sees you as a cutter and then changes the opinion - he changes the label.labels are "shortcuts to attitudes".they are psychologically normal.

They cut themselves with scissors, knives, etc., usually because of emotional depression.

Or they just want attention. Chances are they're just feeling 'out of the spotlight' or something. Thats the typed of people the label of a cutter implies, anyways. That being said, there are definately times when thats not the reason, and the person really does have some sort of emotional problem.

Labels are unavoidable. As much as you might hate them, they're always going to be there, because even the people who avoid labels create that label for themselves. If you don't fit under any particular grouping thats already been made, then more and more people will eventually copy what you are and another label will be born. You just have to get used to them and make sure you are who you want to be, not who everyone else wants you to be. At that point, even though the labels are there and always will be, they don't matter..

I try to avoid labeling people. I hardly ever do it, However, I may accidentally do it. Anyway, if I labeled people all the time, I wouldn't have the good friends that I do. (They aren't exactly seen by other people as a friend...). Anyway, most people who get the bad labels are usually really nice. Somehow, I always wind up with friends who most people try to avoid (and it doesn't bother me any). I think people spend too much time labeling people. I mean, you could find a really good friend that you "labeled" as being bad, weird, a freak, and all those other things. Although, you really shouldn't worry about what people think about you. I used to, and I was made fun of a LOT. Anyway, now that I ignore them they don't bother me any.

I try not to worry about them, although I know they happen all the time XDActually, sometimes I get upset at -not- being labled XD; When a new person comes into the cafe at school and sees my group of friends hanging out, they are all generally labled as 'geeks' right off, because of how they look and act, but people give me a weird look like I dont belong, because I'm an outgoing female, and I guess that doesn't fit the standard most people think of XD;If all my friends are going to be lumped together, I'd like to qualify for that label, also XD;;Really, it's helpful for describing people.. if I tell someone who doesn't know her that my sister, "Dresses kinda goth, but is really a cheerful girl," it's a quick and effective way to describe someone.As long as you don't rely on them so much that it keeps you from getting to know someone I dont think there's any harm in them ^^;

Generally if someone labels you it means they're taking notice of you at least :rolleyes:What would the world be like without labels though? If people are labelling you in a way then its just their perception of how you are.And I'm assuming these people labelling aren't friends anyhow so who cares what they think?

lol i get wat you mean at times i get called a 'black blond' or like a 'black barbie' i mean i dont act dumb im jus sometimes perky lol and i try my best to be on everyones good side<-- that dont mean i suck up to everyone it is the other way.. jokes

Stereotyping is unavoidable - everyone does it because it's a natural instinctive response. Interestingly on a related subject, when two people fall in love, the judgement part of the brain doesn't engage when they think or interact with their new love meaning that love literally is blind. Two people newly in love don't see a lot of the negative aspects of their girlfriend/boyfriend. Anyways, back on topic.

We may make an assumption in the first two seconds of when we see someone but that assumption does not mean that it is right or that that is how that person really is. Think about someone you've known for a while and then remember what they were like when you first met them and compare it to what you remember of them now - you'll find that there are differences in those memories - the person can even seem to look different. This shows that while our instincts can tell us if someone is trustworthy or not, it can't always tell us what someone's personality is like.

The moral of the story is "don't judge a book by it's cover". Even though your instincts tell you someone may seem a particular way, you should reserve your full judgement until you get to know them better. I freely admit to judging people by their appearance (I can't help it - nobody can) but I will override this instinct and say to myself, that person could be really nice or I should talk to them a bit before I disqualify them just because they look like <xxxxx>. I think that is the difference between a shallow judgmental person and a nice person - a judgemental person will just take what they see for how a person must be.

I only recently got a tattoo and I saw a big difference in how people look at me. It's a very feminine tattoo not something like a flaming skull although it is a very obvious place (on my chest). I'm exactly the same person as I was before the tattoo yet I am treated differently (even by people I know). That's judgemental for you.

I will judge a person by their individual merits, not by their looks. I've known people who looked really 'scary' but were the most nicest, giving people you could ever know. Of course that's not to say that if I see someone that looks like they want to beat the sh** out of me that I'm not going to avoid them, but I think that comes down to body language rather than their actual appearance.

I used to dress very goth (now that I have M.E., it takes too long so I can't be stuffed) just for the very reason that people WOULD judge me - I used it as a way to weed out the judgemental people from the nice. If someone still came up to me despite my appearance and was interested in talking to me, then I knew that they we're more likely to be a halfway decent person.

Try to not to be too judgemental people, you could pass over a person who could end up being your best friend, change your life for the better or become your your husband/wife just because you are stereotyping them :rolleyes:

I have been called few times, not going to say what it was. Yeah, I have gotten over it and its really annoying how people use "lable" on someone. It's because they don't have a life and they wanted to bring someone down. Make them feel back for that person called a person a name. I usually don't helped the person, if someone does it. Then the person will come after you and so fourh.

Hm, yeah I've been labeled myself. I'm like the person to be avoided in school. I'm really quiet and shy. Though with my friends, I'm all out. The thing is, I only ever avoid them because they are two-faced. They pretend to be nice to you, but they're actually talking to you behind your back. I most definitely don't want to be friends with them, thus the cold shoulder. I don't really enjoy being labeled, though I must admit I've done it... I can't help it. It's more of a stereotype, yes, but I admit I've been wrong at times. I've labeled someone bad one time, but she turned out to be a nice person. Some of my classmates realized that with me. I'm not quiet at all, though they don't have to make a big deal of it. (ie. announcing to the world that "I talked with Kim and she's really talkative!") :rolleyes: I guess that's the effect of long-term labelling.

I dislike the use of "labels" in American Society, mostly because no one fits into an exact label and it makes people be forced to conform. I never really had a label, because I don't fit into any catagory. When I was in middle school I was a combination of "Outcast"/ "Nerd". If there was a label put on me now, I wouldn't even know what to call myself because I don't fit into any catagory now. I'm so glad I'm in college so I don't have to deal with this as much as I did. :)