xisto Community
illdevilinc

Im Locked Out Of Windows Xp? I own the computer and im locked out

I have a windows XP home edition laptop and the software came preinstalled with my computer. When i try to do some tasks like windows restore it says that it has been disabled by my domain administer and to contact the admin to get this changed. 1) this computer is not in a domain2) I own the computer and am a full administrater3) I am loged in as the administrater.4) Both of my admistrater accounts have been locked out.I am still able to log in fine but i cant do any of the tasks that have to do with windows restore. My laptop is a TOSHIBA Satellite A65 with preinstalled windows XP Home edition. I have the recovery disk but i really dont feal like doing that again as that would be the second time this month. If anyone knows how to help please tell me.Thank you.

Well, It's better if you just buy and install XP Pro from the begining. Cause xp Home is a bit of a drag and preinstalled Os's always have a history of having these problems. So just format your C: partision and just reinstall Xp Pro! It'll work much better!Hope this is of any help! :):)

You try the followung steps:

Start >

Run >

gpedit.msc

The Group Policy Editor Window Opens.

In the Right Pane,

Computer Configuration >

Administrative Template >

System >

System Restore >

Make changes in the Left Pane

Turnoff Configuration and make it Enabled if it is Diabled.

:) Make changes to other settings that u cannot access in the Group Policy Editor.

I'd just say 'screw it' and install XP Pro. I've never seen a system run well with XP Home.. it's just inferior. Something about a dumbed-down version of an already dumbed-down operating system that just bugs me.

well like others sad, better install XP pro then home... becouse windows xp home have a lot of bugs, and becouse its made for desktop computers and your is laptop.or even better... install SuSe :)

I see people suggesting to install xp pro removing the home edition which came with the comp. Even i have a XP home edition which was preinstalled. I do not want to remove it because it is licensed copy. And if I remove it, I will stop getting support from the seller. This is the reason why I have still kept it though it annoys me.The sellers sometimes tie the comp to a domain, apply some group policies on your comp and then sell it to you. Since domain policies have higher precedence over local policies, local admin cannot change it. Only way is to add your comp to workgroup. This should give your controls back.To join workgroup, right click My Computer -> Properties -> Computer Name, select workgroup, type a dummy name and click ok.

Well, if the computer is running XP Home you can reboot the computer and go into safe mode (tap f8 while it is booting and select safe mode from the list) and then you can change all the passwords to all the accounts, including administrator, without knowing the original password. This is what I have done when I forgot my password. I think that answers your problem, if I understood correctly.

XP does not stand for experiance, it stand foe Xtra Problems :) I have windows xp pro and I guess it's ok I mean microsoft could have put a bit more work into it. I always have problems with my system but I guess XP Pro wasn't designed to handle excesive CPU tasks, I do drive my PC into the ground after all.

I suggest just simply taking it back to the shop and getting them to re-install XP, but this time watch them do it. It only takes about an hour, depending on how fast your hard drive is.

If you're a real techy you can boot up in DOS (F8-select Safe Mode with Command Prompt) then enter NET user localgroup(usually putting Administrator in place of localgroup is sufficient) username(whatever you want because most likely it will be temporary) /ADD then once you've entered it, your computer will have another Administrator account without even using Windows. Then you can try restoring with that, and if it doesn't work then something is definitely wrong.

Hmm, why not just scrap the whole Winblows Windows thing and install Linux... Linux is the answer to everything :)

"Do you want some coffee?"

"Linux."

"How are you?"

"Linux."

Anyway, the point is... 1. Linux is free 2. There are sooo many different free variants of Linux.... there are so many more reasons, but hey.

And if you don't wanna switch your whole operating system, Just get somebody to re-install XP Home...