xisto Community
WoLf9015

Radio america dominated

I dont know if anyone has ever noticed this but ont he radio did you ever notice that ove 60% of the stations are spanish?!?!?! I mean we live in america our language is english why is the radio dominated by spanish stations?!?! And what else erm ticks me off is that in most of caifornia you cant go to half the cities unless yo know spanish because no one speaks english and if they do it isnt fluent. it really ticks me off. IF YOURE GONNA LIVE IN AMERICA SPEAK ENGLISH!!! Nobody in america should have to learn spanish because the friggin population is mostly spanish people who cant speak english. In stores everyting is in two languages spanish and english it should only be in english i mean if we go to mexico do you see anything in two languages beside in tijuanna no you dont. And i was in Cochello valley the other day i dont think anyone knows where that is lol but i was there in best buy and everything was in spanish i hd to call my step dad to know what the heck i was buying not even 80% of they're employees could even speak english so once more i had to call my step dad to translate it really make me mad that america caitors to all the other countries when they dont caitor to us. Soon america isnt even gonna be an englsh speaking country and youll have to know 8 different languages to live here :(:D:(:D:(:(:D:(

It seems everyone else that comes to America Learns english (I was born in Russia moved to California when i was 8, and i think personally i speak better english than a lot of Americans!) except for Mexicans. I'm not trying to be a *BLEEP*, but its the truth. And you are right, I turn on the radio and all i hear is a spanish channel, then i flip the station its rap, then again, country, spanish, spanish, country, rap, rap,...they are also the only clear stations. Or its talk...in the morning its all these talk shows, it frustrates me i don't want talking in the morning. This is why i don't listen to the radio.

[advertisement]
Well, anyone who actually cares about QUALITY radio wouldn't listen to that FCC-regulated crap. Anyone with at least half a brain, a quarter of sense, and even a mind sense of humor would listen to No Holds Barred Radio, which has live shows every day, as well as 24/7 automation of quality episodes of the past.
[/advertisement]

Non-Internet radio sucks.

Maybe you guys should learn spanish.If they can find a place here and make things work, God bless them. I am all for them making thriving Spanish communities. Wolf, your difficulties and inability to participate in spanish communities strikes me as ironic. Imagine how they feel.And by the way, if you go to Mexico, a lot of them do know English- they have to (at least near the border and around Ensenada, where I've been.) Their tourism industry depends on it. Many towns and cities south of our border even accept U.S. dollars- their currency doesn't even have a full-fledged hold over their country. I just don't even know what else to say. What is America to you? To me there are many MUCH more pertinent issues in North America than whether mainstream english-speaking Americans are catered to enough.

For more information and advise on side-effects, talk to elder people or read a history book.

[...]And i was in Cochello valley the other day [...]

yeah, Cochello Valley sounds much like an english-speaking area to me ... if you wanna speak english, go to places which have english names, that might help you a lot...

anyway, enough ranting about the way you behave.

Guess what? Large parts of what is nowadays considered US territory was claimed and settled in by the Spanish until only few generations ago. If you buy land, don't expect the people to learn your language just because you'd like them to...

...I could start a rant about how united the "United" States of America are but that would lead off-topic...

yup! ive posted about being in america and speaking english! but not many people liked it but forget them >_<i think that there should be a whole new frequency dedicated to different languages like spanish stations should be SP 106.5 or whatever..but it just gets annoying which is why i flip between two radio stations that dont have any spanish inbetween either of them...106.5 and 107.9! both play rock so im hapy >_<

Soon america isnt even gonna be an englsh speaking country and youll have to know 8 different languages to live here  :D  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :)  :D  :)

224244[/snapback]

Mmmhhh ... Wolf, you have got a point here. I should suggest the US turn really all-english speaking by converting the names of states and towns (like Minnesota, Nebraska, Hawa'i, Wichita, Omaha, Los Angeles, San Francisco and so forth...) to their english translation or equivalent :lol: .

Now, I don't see why, following your requirements, the native americans could not petition the Congress for having the country revert to speaking their own languages. After all, there was a time (not so long ago, mind you) when this great country wasn't speaking a word of english, was it not? :D

Well, on the one hand, you're probably right in saying that some future day, the United States will rather be known as the Estados Unidos by most people within and without. On the other, I definitely fail to see the point of putting pressure on people to speak only one language. I live in a country where they speak a number of german dialects less than 40 miles from where I am, and there are still italian and rumantsch to be accounted for. Raises no basic problem to my knowledge to anybody and the political and social system runs seamlessly on this account.

Look here, friend. My mother tongue is french and I'm quite glad to be able to speak and write english and two or three additional languages. Did you notice by any chance the number of people in this forum who are seemingly in the same case? :) Well, I haven't heard of late anybody complaining 'bout having to write in english to communicate on this forum. Yet, since I'm french-speaking and in full command of my environment, I should be justified to demand everyone here to address me in french, shouldn't I if I were to follow your principle...

Don't get me wrong, though. I would comply to speak spanish in my own country without a qualm if only for the sake of communicating properly. It takes so little effort not to be a George W, you know... ;) . Besides, I could swear the english spoken and written stateside sometimes has got little to do with the so-called "accepted english". You might want to take a hard look at the transcripts of the President's addresses, and you figure it out for yourself.

Cheers to all.

I don't think that america actually has an official language. I quite like the diversity, even though I don't understand very much spanish I find myself listening to spanish radio stations and watching television in spanish all of the time. Maybe because the DJs and hosts can't annoy me if I don't know what they are saying :)

Around here where I live, we don't have ANY Spanish stations. Most of ours our country (my favoirte kind of music!). However, we do have a few Spanish channels on TV. I don't really mind the fact that many things in America are in more than 1 language. I actually like listening to things in other languages sometimes. I, too, don't thnk that America actually has an official language. There are many people in America that speak more than one language.

:) Well America is the melting pot of the world. This is what you get for being in such a giving nation. Just be lucky that you have to right to say what you whant and in any language you whant. As for the fact that most radio stations are in spanish, try living in flroida!!!!!! Even on the english channels there are spanish songs lmao!

Just a little comment here. I believe that the original phrase was that America is the smelting pot of the world; not the "melting" pot, since "smelting" means to fuse, while melting means simply to turn from a solid state to a liquid state.