xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hoagieman

Free And Not Illegal Ragnarok Server

GenesisRO is a free and not illegal server.

Web: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Forum: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Please register an account and than go to the download section for more details on how to play the game.

GenesisRO is a brand new server, so please do not freak out if there are like no players on. Be one of the first to start playing geRO.

More Info on the web!~

email me!

0n3@genesis-ro.com

How is the server not illegal? I would think that any server that is not created by the same people that created the game would be illegal unless you have permission from the creators of the game, then that would be different.

How is the server not illegal? I would think that any server that is not created by the same people that created the game would be illegal unless you have permission from the creators of the game, then that would be different.

224280[/snapback]

Actually, it depends on the game and it's Terms of Service. For instance, Ultima Online has MANY free servers available (literally thousands) and it is completely legal. I should know, I'm developing a network of them. In order to find out the legality of a Ragnarok Online server, one should take some time to CAREFULLY review it's terms of service. I don't personally know if a free server for R.O. would be legal, but I'd be interested to know the specific details of it. I may go read the T.O.S here soon and leave you a post detailing it.

Most games are copyrighted now thou...I can only find some games which allow for it to be replicated or downloaded for other use...but it look like a good game and might play it but I prefer if other ppl joined first you need to get your site out there dude! :(

10. Intellectual PropertyGravity, including, without limitation, all communication features of Gravity contains copyrighted material, trademarks and other proprietary information including, without limitation, text, software, photographs, video, graphics, music and sound, and the entire contents of Gravity and each area contained therein are copyrighted as a collective work under the Republic of Korea copyright laws. Gravity owns a copyright in the selection, coordination, arrangement and enhancement of such content.  User may not modify, publish, transmit, participate in the transfer or sale, create derivative works, or in any way exploit, any of the content contained on Gravity (including, without limitation, content that the Website enables you to download) without the express written permission of Gravity and the copyright owner. In the event of any permitted copying, redistribution or publication of copyrighted material, no changes in or deletion of author attribution, trademark, legend or copyright notice shall be made. The downloading of copyrighted material from Gravity is allowed by the user expressly for the user's own use. User acknowledges that Gravity and/or third-party content providers remain the owners of all materials posted on Gravity, and that the user does not acquire any of those ownership rights by downloading copyrighted materials.

There is a snippet from Ragnarok Online's T.O.S. This is the only section I can find that may leave you leagally accountable for running a Ragnarok Online free server. Aside from that, everything was basically, "You break this rule, your R.O. account goes bye bye."

That being said, I leave it up to your interpretation. I'm not 100% sure if that would affect you or not. For your best interests, I hope your server is legal and that you have all the best successes with it!

I side 100% with advocates of free servers for pay-to-play games. If you're paying, you should be able to have a say in how it's ran (which is the case with most free-servers.. especially for Ultima Online). Most of these companies say they accept ideas from people, but they don't really. They toss it out the window like a McDonalds job application from a monkey. They just expect to you keep on paying (generally too much money) for a game that you have no say in. I don't agree with that at all. Especially after having been staff on a free server for a game. I'd much rather play on free servers (or even some private pay servers if they're good enough).

There is a snippet from Ragnarok Online's T.O.S. This is the only section I can find that may leave you leagally accountable for running a Ragnarok Online free server. Aside from that, everything was basically, "You break this rule, your R.O. account goes bye bye."

That being said, I leave it up to your interpretation. I'm not 100% sure if that would affect you or not. For your best interests, I hope your server is legal and that you have all the best successes with it!

224327[/snapback]

thankyou MythShard.

As I said, its not illegal..why would i lie?..

Well please join!~ :(

heh I wouldn't expect you to lie. It's just that you may not necessarily have all the facts sometimes, ya know? But, if you say it's legal, I believe you!

Questionable Legality of Private RO Servers

Free And Not Illegal Ragnarok Server

This portion of the posted TOS causes me to raise an eyebrow:

"Gravity owns a copyright in the selection, coordination, arrangement and enhancement of such content. User may not modify, publish, transmit, participate in the transfer or sale, create derivative works, or in any way exploit, any of the content contained on Gravity (including, without limitation, content that the Website enables you to download) without the express written permission of Gravity and the copyright owner."

Making a private server requires the reverse-engineering of the Ragnarok client and making a patch for it (an exploit creating a derivative work, to use TOS terms). Don't get me wrong- I love private servers (I am a former GM/Founder of WolfRO) but I am going back now to review the legality of making another server. Tell me what you think.

Regards,

Kegluneq

-reply by Kegluneq