xisto Community
kelvinismyname

How April Fools Day Began? i always wonder the story behind this

ok since the last two two topics were interesting topics relating to the calendar..it got me interesting this question ...why is april the first april fools day

here is what i learned......

if you never herd about april fools day here is what it is:

April fools day is a holiday celebrated on april 1st ,it is a day where you play pranks on people or simply try to make them fool.

whats the story behind it:...

it is a holiday that started back in the 16th century in France. During that time the accepted calendar was the Julian calendar. The julian calendar was a calandar that ,used april 1st as its new years day, that meant on april first every body will have a grand big new years party with gifts ect..on april the first. :(

Now here is where the confusion came:

sometime during that century King Charles IX declared that France would begin using the new Gregorian calendar, this calendar had New Year's Day as being January 1st. ( this meat that people would not need to celebrate new years day on April 1st)

(but I supposed back then getting a message out to the public was difficult), so in france, some of the people still belived that they would be celebrating april 1st as new years day. Those who knew that new years was on january 1st decided to play jokes on the ones that did not. They sent gifts and invited them to bogus parties , & basically made fun at them for celebrating New years on the wrong day.

from then on every April 1st became april fools day. yep that the reason :(

.....................................................................................................................

" i doubt u will find any body celebrating april 1st 2006 as new years day so in-order to celebrate this day you have to see if people will fall for other pranks.."

April fools day is a holiday celebrated on april 1st ,it is a day where you play pranks on people or simply try to  make them fool.

It's not a holiday. It's an observed day, much like the Valentines Day. Schools are still open and post office still delivers mail :(

" i doubt u will find any body celebrating april 1st 2006 as new years day so in-order to celebrate this day you have to see if people will fall for other pranks.."

You need to use that in QUOTE tag. Just like the above.

Ah, good 'ol April Fools Day, a day where pranks are plentiful and the people immature :(. Back in my grade school days I frequently traded pranks with people, especially my family. :( One day I came home, sat my parents down, and told them I had gotten a girl pregnant! And they believed it! Another time I had dyed my hair a disgusting purple and showed it to my dad before work, telling him this was going to be my new look. Knowing that he absolutely would hate me for doing it, I did it :( (only it was a wash away dye that would go away just by showering :D ). Interesting story you gave us. I was never actually sure how April Fool's Day came about, but I'm sure I've heard the story, probably a long time ago though.This will be an interesting thread, maybe we'll get a variety of pranks I can possibly use this upcoming April :(

It's not a holiday. It's an observed day, much like the Valentines Day. Schools are still open and post office still delivers mail :(

You need to use that in QUOTE tag. Just like the above.

224065[/snapback]

Actually Buffalo if he wrote or paraphrased it from the orginal content. Meaning it was his own words for what he learned then no he should not have to quote it. If he copied it directly form the source then yeah I think he should use a quote. It felt like he was speaking in his own words to me. But hey thats the way the cookie crumbles...:(

Okay so I forgot to mention what I thought of this topic. Its very interesting that it came from a change in how a holiday is celebrated. That is kind of mean if you think about it. Then again alot of people sometimes do mean things on April Fool's Day. There you go. LOL Anyway stuff like this you know little known facts are good to learn cause it gives you stuff to talk about when you can not think of anything else to say. Its also good for parties. You know if you ever want to be the smart aleck of the group. :(

Notice from BH:
Merged topics.

This is by far MY day. Ever since I knew how to prank, I've never let a year go by without the obligatory pranks. I have no lines as to who I will or will not prank. I'd prank the pope, my grandma, a high school principal.. ANYONE. =) Anybody got any good prank stories?

It's not a holiday. It's an observed day, much like the Valentines Day. Schools are

yeah that's right. But its weird how some peopel celebrate it like a holiday, but really just suppose to observe it.

Heh, April fools day, I always wondered how that came to be, much like valentines (which I still don'tknow how started, and is to lazy to look up) I knew it had started some time in France, but thanks for the exact. It's actually kinda funny when you think about it. *is going to invite a bunch of people to a "new years" party*

Well, we don?t have April?s Fools Day here in Spain. But for what I know about it I think it?s more or less the same idea that we celebrate on 28th December between Christmas and New Years Day. This is supposed to remember the day king Herodes ordered to kill newborn babies in order to kill Jesuschrist that way, obviously without success. As long as these murdered babies were inocent, it?s called the Innocents Day or Holy Innocents. Maybe you also celebrate it and already know this... but I don?t know if you also make pranks on this day. Don?t ask me for the relation within a children massacre and joking, it seems a little contradictory... but it?s like that. :) By the way, it?s also an observed day, everybody works and that.

im the dummie on april fools day. i dont know any good pranks.. except changing names on stuff...and switching the broom door signs (that's good though.).

:) Before anything else, I apologize for my writting errors and any wrong fact I tell you here.I like that day. In my country we have a day close in meaning to that, related to the Bible (Catholic). By the days when Jesus was born, Herodes (sorry if the name isn't the right one), the king, sent some people to kill every baby, because he didn't know wich one was The One. He was foolished, the people who were supposed to kill Jesus didn't do it, but told him that the job was done. That day was 28th December. Here it's called something like Holy Innocent's day. :) Feel free to make any corrections.

He was foolished, the people who were supposed to kill Jesus didn't do it, but told him that the job was done. That day was 28th December. Here it's called something like Holy Innocent's day.

So, here is what was missing in my post... I didn´t know that, or probably I knew but forgot.

Anyway, a bloody celebration... although he was foolished, lots of children died. It´s not the best day to make pranks, I guess.

Wow, I never knew how April fools day came about. I've never really brought myself to think about it though. I've just taken it for granted.So, it was due to a mishap regarding Calendars? It all appears to be confusing stuff in my opinion. Amazing how cruel some people get to proove to others that they're the ones who are correct (for example, with the new year date).Anyway, I don't suppose it will change much knowing about April Fools. It was interesting stuff to know though, thanks for sharing!

The Apirl 1 is one of the memorable days that come year after year. I make fun of my friends and family members by playing pranks and they do some pranks on me. All these funs are enjoyable and give us a hearty laughter for a few days after 1st April. Eagerly waiting for April 1 to play some new pranks on everyone......