xisto Community
Chez

I Hate Colds!

I'd rather not take a flu shot and have a couple small colds than take it and have that one big flu as your body immunes itself with the vaccine. Bedridden for three days after the shot sucks, honestly. And you still have the chance of catching something. I've always followed this philosphy since I was able to tell my parents, "Enough! You ain't stick' me with that thing anymore!"More recently, however, it seems I'm getting colds more and more frequently. Probally because I'm not eating heathly or not enough sleep... dunno. I'll deal with that AFTER I get better. Has anyone had a stuffy nose? Like one that stuffs all the way up and you have to breathe thru your mouth or you suffocate? For those who are saying no, please wear tinfoil so we know who you are! Anyways, isn't that great... breathing thru your mouth.... in a meeting... in a classroom... while someone is talking to you. You look and feel like an idiot! Your nose is running, but it's completely plugged up so you can't even blow it clean, so you're sitting there dbbing at it with a Kleenex hoping it'll go away. You just ran out of Nyquil so you're stuff taking steam showers to try to loosen it up. You don't ache, you're not sick, no cough, no sore throat... your nose is just completely plugged.... omg I hate it!!!!Not to mention, when I woke up this morning, my head was unusually stuck to my pillow. And my stuck, i mean I lifted my head, and the pillow came too. no, i didn't drool a sticky ooze... but wouldn't you know it? all that blowing and trying to get my plugged nose clear yesterday somehow cleared during the night, ground raw from lack of snot, and I had a massive nose bleed in the middle of the night. I woke up the next morning, plugged right back up again, covered in blood and what feels like a hangover from loss of blood (yes, it was alot). Don't you love biology? You're supposed to produce mucus to counteract pathogens in the air. mucus has an antibactirial property to it, but would natural selection really want an organizsm to completely shut off their nasal passage? If this happened to a dog, it's never find food in the wild. A tapir would never find ants. the list goes on. And you cant ea while your plugged up! You're gasping for air between snarfing down cereal because you can't breathe through your nose while chewing. imagine running out of air halfway through chewing... you can either force swaller unchewed cap'n crunch (oh the pain) and chose to death, or balance the bulk of the cereal in the dip of your mouth while you strive to get enough milk out form the back of your throat to breath. now image the look on your girlfriend's face as she witnesses this. awesome huh?

You took the post right of my mouth! I have a terrible cold too, and I have to breath through my mouth, which makes getting to sleep really difficult. Such is life, and especially living in cold, harsh environments like Britain :(

I'm sorry to laugh but this is kind of what everyone feels when they are sick but they are afraid to say. I remember when I was going to be in a school play and the flu was going around. Our Drama teacher told us about the power of positive thinking (along with vitamins and orange juice everyday) to ward of the bug. She often told us we were the worst group of actors she'd ever seen and she didn't even want to try and imagine who she'd have to get if any of us got sick. (that's probably a story for another thread :( ) Anyway, I used this technique for years and never got the flu or even a cold. It was about eight years before I got sick again!

You think you've got it bad! I have Myalgic Encephalomylitis (otherwise known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and amongst other things means I'm immunocompromised i.e. my immune system sucks <insert expletive here>. Whenever I get sick , I get really sick. A normal cold can end up being like a flu. I almost inevitably get a nasal/sinus infection that won't go away unless I take antibiotics (which I try to avoid because it kills my immune system further) so I've had the current infection for months. Mmmmm... green snot :( I would like to get a flu shot but I can't because my immune system won't handle it and I will probably end up in hospital. Every injury I get, gets infected unless I keep putting antibacterial stuff on it all the time.... When I was pregnant with our daughter I was hospitalised with a kidney infection and had to be put on long term preventative antibiotics which I couldn't stop taking because they pretty much destroyed what was left of my immune system. I kept getting cystitis, which I later worked out was because of the antibiotics (which I've now stopped - the aftermath was not pretty). I still get cystitis but I treat it with natural products which work a hell of a lot better and don't destroy my immune system in the process. I would recommend natural products over the synthetic any day. Take it from my experience and proven fact - things like cough medicine do not work. I would recommend you try Comvita's Fortacold Herbal Elixir (I don't know if it's available where you are but you can order it online from Comvita's website) It's way cheaper than cough and cold remedies and you can use it for colds, coughs, flus, upset tummies etc. Only thing is that it tastes like crap but we put it in the fridge which helps. You should also take a garlic and horseradish combo supplement. Gets you right again real quick. Anyways that's what works for me and I'm guessing that if they work well for an immunocompromised person, they should work really well for normal people :(

I now what you are saying about getting colds from vaccines. A few years ago I had to get two or three vaccinations in one day because the law requires it to enter the grade I was going into at that time. I felt pretty lousy for a day or two. My friend was throwing up all over the place. Getting sick just is not fun no matter what you are sick with or how bad it is.

Anyways, isn't that great... breathing thru your mouth.... in a meeting... in a classroom... while someone is talking to you. You look and feel like an idiot! Your nose is running, but it's completely plugged up so you can't even blow it clean, so you're sitting there dbbing at it with a Kleenex hoping it'll go away. You just ran out of Nyquil so you're stuff taking steam showers to try to loosen it up. You don't ache, you're not sick, no cough, no sore throat... your nose is just completely plugged.... omg I hate it!!!!

You bet I know how that feels... duh, I hate it too :(

I always have a cold that invariably cumilates to an asthma attack, and I think that is the only thing that is more disgusting than the cold. When you can't breathe and you're wheezing, and when every breath takes the same amount of effort that it would take someone to lift weights in a gym - umm... it's not a very pleasant scenario overall.

The nose blocks can be irritating, painful, and a lot of other things too. I recently got myself a little thing that can produce steam, and its helped a good deal during my temporary nose blocks. The problem is when I go to college... :ew:

By the way, how're you feeling now? The nose bleed stuff sounds very scary to me. I hope things are better now. Have to been to a doctor or something recently?

Anyway, here's to your health, and I hope things clear up (pardon the pun) soon :(

Having a cold is the $4!t$ I mean, I have had my cold for the last three months. I can get rid of it, I had taken antibiotics for two weeks, which made things a little bit better, but then after two weeks (When it ran out) I just got even sicker. I am at te point now, where every second letter I type. Which is not that unlivable, unless your taking Semestar Final Exams, where Quiet is key. Iswear half the class didnt finsih because of me. Im going upto the city in Deb, to talk with an Immunologist to see if I can get over the "common cold"

I had a cold not that long ago (probably about 2-3 weeks ago), and it was bad. Coughing a lot, contant runny nose. However, mine wasn't as bad. I know how you feel, though. Colds are extremely bad! I hope to never get a cold again! Heck, even cold medicine didn't help me much. My nose never bled that much, though. In fact, I don't think it bled any. That would sure stink with it bleeding so much.

the most annoying thing of a col is a stuffed nose it just gets so irritating especially when u have keep tissue with u for u know lol but nayways yeah colds are annoying but are better than headaches

I know exactly how you feel. Cold first sleep after! xP. Currently I have a HORRIBLE nose blowing epidemic..thing. It dropped my social points by 600 but who cares? :( I have my friend Nelson who cares not one bit.COLD FIRST SLEEP AFTER! :(

Take it from my experience and proven fact - things like cough medicine do not work. I would recommend you try Comvita's Fortacold Herbal Elixir (I don't know if it's available where you are but you can order it online from Comvita's website) It's way cheaper than cough and cold remedies and you can use it for colds, coughs, flus, upset tummies etc. Only thing is that it tastes like crap but we put it in the fridge which helps. You should also take a garlic and horseradish combo supplement. Gets you right again real quick.

If you are going to take medicine (which I never do anymore) You need to remember to take what is appropriate for what is wrong with you. If you've got a lot of phlegm in you you do NOT want to suppress your cough. You need to get all of that stuff out of you. Keeping it all in could lead to something worse, like pneumonia. That happened to me once I finally got sick again.

response to thorned roseI Hate Colds!

Cystitis is not caused by antibiotics, I think you're thinking of Thrush or a yeast infection. Antibiotics are used to treat cystitis (can be dangerous if misdiagnosed as it can lead to a bladder/kidney infection)

-reply by didntaskforyourlifestory