xisto Community
itssami

How To Upload Zip Files?

Hello..I want to upload MSN emoticons packs on my site.they are in zip file...I want to upload that zip file , ,and i made an index page and made the gif file of the emoticon pack and then i put hyperlink of that gif file to zip file , but when i uploaded the site , and it doesnt work , when i click on the gif image , instead of the zip file start to download , i get this pagewebsite.com/emoticons.zip/Index of /emoticons.zip Name Last modified Size Description-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parent Directory 22-Jan-2006 22:35 -Can anyone tell me how to upload ZIP FILES ?

Well there might be any number of reasons for this failing, but let's start with a link to your site so we can have a look at the index page you are talking about, and what's this part mean?:

and made the gif file of the emoticon pack and then i put hyperlink of that gif file to zip file

A zip file should be uploaded the same as a regular file. One method is to go to your cpanel > file manager > select "a folder by name" > select "upload a file" and then browse your hard drive to find the file > upload. Done. Then to download the file enter this URL in your Browser address bar:
http://your_acct.trap17.com/folder/file.zip
where: your_acct is the Xisto subdomain assigned to you, folder is the folder name you have the zip stored in, file.zip is the name of the zip file. Download should then be automatic.

* edit for typos *
Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Uploading zip files is very easy. I personally, use ftp to upload files and I would recommend you use it because it is easy. All you have to do is connect to your site using a FTP client and then upload the file to the directory you want. Make sure the file name of the zip matches the file name of your hyperlink. If you have problems after doing that and making sure the link matches with the file that would surprise me.

Well, it would also help for us to know how you're currently uploading anyway. Like someone pointed out, using FTP is perhaps the best way to do it. CuteFTP and FileZilla are supposed to be user-friendly FTP clients that get you started right away.If you have access to a linux box, I'd suggest using Konquerer, it's one of the simplest FTP browsers I've ever seen :( Also, I'd like to know what exactly you want to do. Upload the zip file and unzip it on the server to save yourself some broadband bandwidth or something? Trust me, with a smiley pack, shouldn't make too much of a difference anyway!Good luck and HTH.

Basically you have to enter the FTP with your username and password and domain name (for example ftp.yourself.trap17.com ).Then you go to www or public_html (it?s supposed to be the same). Find your zip file in your hard disk and double click it. It will be uploaded in your site. Then you should only need an hiperlink in your index.htm pointing to "msnicons.zip" or however your zip file is called.You say that you got this page... website.com/emoticons.zip/ Probably you have made a folder called emoticons.zip instead of uploading that file.

uploading turnkey websitesHow To Upload Zip Files?

hi there,

I am looking at selling turnkey websites however have no tech. Knowledge at all. I know how to ftp files onto server/domain but I cant seem to make the site live have no idea. Is there a programme that automatically installs the site and makes it live. Is that possible? 

-question by Chirs

Tobe able to download a file you need to change the permissions for the file itself, you do this with a ftp program, I use Cyberduck, a great free program (only for mac, sorry), but I'm sure you can use Fillezilla, another good program, then give the access in the file options for reading to anyone.

Well, that's all, it's a pleasure to  help, by the way, greetings from Mexico.

-reply by Luis Guerrero