xisto Community
delivi

Lightscribe Personalise Your CD/DVD

Hi friends I want to share a new technology with u, LightScribe a new form of Labelling CD and DVD, by scribing the label using Laser beam on the Label side of the disc.

LightScribe is a technology that allows the Disc Drive to burn our own designed label directly onto the disc. The LightScribe technology uses a special Laser Beam to etch the label on the surface of the disc. To use this technology we need an Optical Disc Drive with the LightScribe Technology and we can burn our labels only on special Discs that can be used for LightScribbing.

Creating Labels

Most LightScribe hardware products come with a CD with label-burning software. Even if we do not have the disc, we can purchase label-burning software(Nero 7 Premium Edition Supports it). So we can create our personalised labels using these Labeling Software.

Burning Label

Place the disc in the drive with the label-side down. Then click "Print" in the Label Software. After the label is burned, the disc will be ejected and your LightScribe CD or DVD is complete.

How?

The laser imaging process initiates a chemical change in the disc coating which brings out the label on the disc.

The Label ont the Disc is also Scratch Proof.

You can see a demo of the LightScribe Technology at LightScribe Demo (Flash Demo)

Here in India LightScribe Drives are not available everywhere. More than that LightScribe Discs are very rare to be seen.? So I couldnt get my hands on it. If any one of you've tried this technology please post your experiences here.

Edited by delivi (see edit history)

Doesn't this need some special disk? I am sure it is quite expensive and supposedly the images can sort of fade after a few years. Also, I think they are just monochrome, but correct me if I'm wrong.Not a bad idea though, just needs a few more years to fully develop.

Yes this needs special media with LightScribe Dyeing on it. And u r right the Labels created wiil be in monochrome.But as of the fading is considered the developers claim it lasts longer.But we've to just wait and see what happens. I hope it has been developed already. But Future enhacements like enabling Color Labelling by using a dye material that can produce various colors according to the intensity of the Laser beam incident on it.(Just my Imagination). :B

It sounds like it would be a good idea. I bet the CD's of course would be a bit more expensive but as long as it isn't too much. I am sure once they get more advanced the labels will last even longer. I don't really label my cds so I probably wouldn't have much use for it but it could be pretty useful.

Yes this is a very good idea and a realistic outlook alternative to label stickers. However you have to purchase the CD medias, the compatible CD-writer hardware and software for it to work. It'll be good for a CD-burning company that does the service at large scale. But for home users, it's not quite practical as it could cost quite a sum of money just to purchase those compatible requirements. A normal and hassle free sticker label need not require such requirements and its more practical to be implemented.Moreover, according to the flash demo of how is label etching works, it only results in single color. There's no way to make color labels. However the current way of sticking paper labels now is able to have them colored.A nice technology however not quite practical for home use. Might cost unnecessary sum of money for minimal CD burning needs.

Ihave That Lightscribe... since we need a special disk where do we get it ?o r cna u hav a kinda 3rd party Lightscribe enable disk.... NAd a las question If u Use a non-able Disk wut happens ? can it Damage the disk and the resyt of teh CPU... ?

This seems to me to be one of those solutions without a problem type scenario, ok so I will admit that this is a cool idea and that I would probably try this out (if I could be bothered to buy and fit a lightscribe cd writer anyway). However this seems to be a little pointless to me I mean just write on the disks with a pen (one that writes on disks obviously, don't go hacking at disks with ball points, thats just silly) OK so granted light scribe will be capable of more advanced designs (unless you're a really good artist anyway). I hope I have made the point I was intending to make, I know it can be quite hard for 'normal' people to decipher my crazed ramblings, what I was trying to say was that the old way of labling disks is perfectly fine so why do we need a more complex and exspensive system.

heh my dad was just talking about this last night. we personally do it cheap and either just write on the actual disk or stick a giant sticker on there with the image.

Addtiononal Content

When you use the an Ordinary media in a LightScribe enabled drive for Labeling you wont see anything. Because LightScribe works on the Discs coated with special Dyes. These dye material react with the Laser beam from the drive and form the Image on the Disc.

Oh well its useless to try it .... But where acn u buy those Lightscribe enable Disc...... Its maybe a few more cents... I just wanna get a Bunch Of Them to Make... like a Backup of all my programms.... Disc... and few RIPPED GAMES :(

This certainly sounds like a neat idea, but I have a feeling that overpowered lasers will be a problem at first (lasers that don't just cut through the first layer of a disk, but cut all the way through it). There is a lot of fine calibration that would need to take place. I certainly wouldn't want to purchase this thing when it's hot off the market.

Hi Cerebral Stasis, :( i hope tat u've misunderstood this technology. The Laser dosent cut the disc. To create the label, you've to put the label side of the disc facing downwards. The dye over which the beam falls changes in color and creates the designs on the disc. So no powerful Laser is being used in this Technology. So Pal dont be afraid of it. :B

That is awesome. Like the "new" technology of putting designs on CD. It would be great for other things to. They need to make a etcher for glass. That would be cool. But I wonder if this would pay for itself. It would have to be cheaper than stickers in order for people to be interested in it. But it just cool they can do it.

Lightscribe certainly seems better that using sticky labels, I have never had any luck with them. And it also has a bit of "cool" factor since the laser is burning your label.However, what I have found to be quite nice are printable CD/DVDs. You still have to buy a special disk, and in my experience they are 50% or so more than regular discs. And you also need a printer that supports them, I have an epson photo R200 that I got at CompUSSR for $80. But the results are great, and you have full color.

Yeah it is better than sticky labels, because they can ruin your DVD/CD. But Lightscribe i think is something that will not be successful because of its long writting time and bad visibility.I have ordinary dvd writer Phillips 1628G moded in Benq and iam happy with it.