xisto Community
kevlar557

The American Economy Im about ready to crack

Ok, here it goes.Well, first of all, I just got my license a few months ago, but I cannot get a job because it interferes with all of my after-school activities. So, I have next to nothing for gas money. It used to be that I could save up my change from lunch money back in the day, and be able to fill up a 5 gallon gas can, and be able to mow the lawn. I can't even afford to fill up the gas can after saving the same amount for twice as long. Back before George Bush took the U.S. Presidency, I remember that gas prices were about 99 cents per gallon. That is about 1/3 of what it is today.I don't understand how in 5 years, the economy can change from a booming economy, with unemployment at a all time low, to a resession, going into a depression. Now, in the past, hasen't wars boosted the economy? WWI, WWII, Korea, etc... had all boosted the economy in one way or another. America is in a war right now, and everything is going down the tubes(except gas prices and Bush's bank balance). I really don't understand it. Can someone explain this oddity?

Well for starters the two world wars only helped the american economy because, rather than really take part, they just flogged stuff to the allies. and Korea didn't help the economy. Neither did Vitenam.As for the current war, here is a simple geographical fact - all of the oil is in the middle east. None of it is in teh West. We aer in teh West, therefore we have no oil. With the Middle East in turmoil oil is harder to get at, especially with insurgents atacking oil fields in Iraq. All of this drives crude oil prices up which in turn makes petrol more expensive. That is why you have to use shears instead of a lawnmower.