xisto Community
Unregistered 015

Do You Read Other People's Posts? ...before joining discussion?

So, I know there are a lot of folks here at Xisto. I guess 90% of them (if not all) are here for free hosting. This is what it is all about after all. So, be honest, and tell us do you acctually read other peoples posts, so you join the disscusion apropriatelly or do you just read the first post (like this one) and then answer to the question (if it is a question) or give your opinion and take on it??I personaly somtimes do read (if it is something interesting), but sometimes (if it is a poll or somthing I dont like to talk about) I just say what I think without reading other posts before me (just skim through them). This way I earn a lot of credits for my hosting and not spam Xisto. I dont like spaming people and bore other members. There are also some more "tactics" I use for collecting credits but that is only when it's necessary. :(

Well, yes, I do try to read the replies before I response to a Topic. It sometimes helps me formulate an answer. And it sometimes stops me from answering, as well.

If the answer I was about to supply is already given, usually I do not add mine.

Yes, I am here for the Free Hosting, but also to learn some stuff, hang out, meet some new people and help others when I can.

Of course, being Mod status, there is always an opportunity to earn credits by posting replies, but I also spend time sending PM's with helpful hints and tips, too.

(By the way, there were no replies when I decided to reply here, so it was easy to decide on this one.)

I originally came for the Free Hosting like jlhaslip but when the other forums went down that I used to hang out at I started looking for somewhere new and this was both in one. Depending on the topic I will sometimes read or atleast browse through the posts below unless I am being really lazy. If it is like a discussion I will see what has been stated and add more if I need to or don't take part in it at all like jlhaslip said (sort of) If it is something I just put my opinion in on I will look at a couple depending on how many have been posted and make my comment. If it is support I always read the posts after to see if the question has already been answered so I don't look like a fool :( (although it still happens)

I spend a lot of time on other forums and I'm really here for the hosting so I don't read this forum for the enjoyment of it (which isn't to say that I don't sometimes take something useful away from it).So I tend to skim a lot of other people's posts but I do try and take in at a glance what others have said so I'm not just repeating stuff. That's usually for technical type of threads relating to web design or whatever. If it's threads about personal opinions etc, then I quite often just go straight to the end cos it doesn't matter what's come before - your opinion is still your opinion.

I do, for the most part, read others' replies. I really don't enjoy coming across a post on the sixth page of a thread that is only relevant to the first. That's a great exageration, but you get the idea. So, I try not to be the moron doing that.

Honestly, I do not read each and every posts of others in this forum. But when the first topic is something catchy or the topic which interests me I usually read the first post itself and after reading the first post if I could make a decent post or reply I read the following posts and try to follow the replies that come along. And finally I reply the topic. I think this is the best way to participate in the topic concerned. When we try to reply the main topic without reading the following replies we land up not being able to make sense in our replies. So, it is good to read the replies in order to make a constructive reply. I've been following this method in all my posts.But if the topic itself isn't interested me I do not even read the first post nor never reply them.

Well to be honest, like many others I'm in for the hosting. But when it comes to forums, I dont read every post from every person on the forum. But if one or a few topics on the first page is something that interests me, I usually read the first post then try to skim through the replies untill I find a bit that interests me then I reply to the bits concerned.My style would be that I casually browse through the forums, find a topic that may interest me to read it, start reading the first post. If I find the first post interesting in any way then of course I'll reply to the bits I found interesting. If I dont, to be honest I skim through the replies (at least read a few lines off the replies) untill I find a bit that interests me to reply to the topic.Also another interesting thing is getting into debates on the forum, which to be honest actually takes up time, and it does interest you to read the reply from the person or people concerned. It can be addictive at times :( To conclude, as many people said, if a topic doesnt interest me, I dont bother reading it at all.

I try and read each and every post, but sometimes I only fly over posts, partialy reading them. But I always read at least part of every post. As people said, it's the only way I can write a decent post, that makes sense, is connected to the entire topic and posts, not just the first post... It is annoying whe you come across a post that is connected with the first post only, on the 6th page... And it's contents - one line!I'm here for the free hosting, and I do my best to give something back for what I get, it's the least I can do. Besides, I like helping others, it makes me feel good to know, I helped someone...People should at least try and read few posts, not just the first, and try to make some sense of their posts, connected to the actual topic...

Of course I do!I really like to read all sorts of forums, it's quite relaxing, and Xisto is not an exception, so the answer is definitely YES. Like amhso said, you can't post something decent without reading the other posts first... And everybody knows that off topic posts are quickly removed by numerous moderators around here, and that's another bonus for Xisto - no spam whatsoever, mmmm... it's like a dream come true! All of this is topped off with hosting credits, so you can expect a warm feeling inside you once you click on "Add reply" button :(In the end, it all comes down to this: you must read the posts, whether you like it or not... (which is good!)

when it's a topic I feel strongly about I will read every word, when it's something I think I might have something to add to I might just skim or sort of speed read the thread to see if anyone else has already made my point :(I won't waste my time even clicking on threads that I know nothing about or wouldn't care about because I am on a mission when I am here. The related threads and search functions are very handy for finding things I feel I can talk about.On other forums that I post at for fun, I find myself reading every single post. Sometimes I re-click the same thread that is of no interest to me several times. Sometimes they change the subjects 3 pages into a 6 page thread. Lucky here people tend to stay on topic throughout things so it's not as much time wasted.

It just depends for me. I prefer to read the whole thing. But if it has about ten pages, then no, I don't read through all the posts. It also depends on what the topic is. If it is a debate, then I try to skim through most of the posts to be well armed. Otherwise, you look wierd coming into it not knowing what is being discussed at that time. A post like this, I read the first page. Maybe read the second, but not often. But yeah, to directly answer the question, most of the time I do read all of it.

It depends for me as well, when I read the first post, I go to the next reply and read at least a few sentenses and if I don't find it interesting I read the next and so on. When I reply myself I use those I read to formulate my answer. There are some topics in wich I just reply directly to the first post, it all depends on if I think it's interesting and of course if I have the time to read it all.

If I thnk it might be interesting, or if I'm bored, I do read them all (and sometimes I read them all just because I want to). If I'm in a hurry or am feeling partially lazy, then I read a few posts and try to reply. I see that I'm not the only one who does this. Also, sometimes I do it to see if I can find something I can reply to (sometimes I have trouble replying in a forum on any site).