xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
terminal2k

Xbox Modifications What mods have you encountered on a xbox

Now i've seen quite a few different modifications to xboxes around, there are a lot of cosmetic modifications (changing cases and colours, adding LCD panels etc) mine is standard in that respect, what i've delved into is the software side of things. Its actually quite amazaing what can be achieved with the xbox, quite a few of the features that microsoft is promoting the xbox 360 as having can be attained using a regular xbox. Mine for example has a nice logitech wireless controller, it has a bunch of different software installed, the most notable being the XBMC (xbox media center), this makes your xbox behave similar to a windows XP media centre edition pc. it can not only play dvds and cds, but also stream content from the internet or other pc's on a local area net. You can copy things onto the xbox HDD and play them from there, and it supports a variety of different formats (mp3, divx, xvid etc..)Also on my box i have emulators to play all my classic console games such as the nes and snes games, and there is even an emulator for psx games. theres a web browser available also (limited support, no java, no flash support) but being able to access some websites from the xbox can be handy (most notably going on gamefaqs to get codes or assistance in a game)the one thing that i have yet to try on the xbox is running linux on it, has anyone had any experience in this, or other stories of what you've done with your xbox, post in here and share your experience.

Sorry, ours only has the standard treatment - chipped, HDD upgrade, EMUs, Media Centre, brushed aluminum skin etc etc but when I was researching getting it modded I found a number of really helpful sites that have software, tutorials etc. One is Xbox Scene. Here's their Linux Tutorials. There's also a site specific to Linux here. Hope this helps. :(

I don't have my own xbox but I have helped my friend with his. We added a xbox mod chip and a 100gig hdd to it. It has xbox media center and I think one other dashboard. It's really nice, you can save games, movies, and music to the hard drive. My friends xbox can visit any site on the web and any ftp server if you have a internet connection hooked up to it. Also, you can have emulators on it and play other system games on it. I put Nintendo 64 emulator on it and we were playing N64 games on the xbox, its really awsome. With a mod chip and bigger hdd, you can transform your simple gaming system into basically a computer :(Also, my friend changed his case to a clear green case. He has a thomson dvd drive in his so you can take the plate off the top of it and see the laser work while playing games through the clear case. It's tight. Also, we added some light cords going all over inside the box. We are thinking about adding some cathode lights to the front and the sides which look really sweet.The other nice thing you can do is play on free online servers that act like xbox like. I can't remember the exact name for it or their site, but I'm sure someone else will post it.Maybe if I can get my friend to take some pictures of his box, I might post them out to show everyone. It's really cool what you can do with them :(

I always thought that you were not allowed to modify your Xbox. I did not modify mine in any way. It seems that if something is not meant to be on your system and you put it on it may cause instability or something like that. In my opinion people should leave their video game systems as they bought them.

I have the most basic mod. I have a soft modded xbox, no hard drives or anything. I have Media Center on there and that's about it for right now. It not really that good, Media Center is what makes it, but it's awesome if you into Piracy lol. I like to download demos and check them out, but I've never had the time to see how a full game runs, but I do borrow some of my friends pirated games from time to time. My friend has a 150 gig hard drive with all kind of pirates on it, I'm scared to do that though.As for modding messing your box up...No it makes it like 1,000,000 times better, considering that you can stream media from offline onto your Xbox, and with a good HD you can have a Music Album that reaches into millions of songs. I think it's great though, especially for Xboxs because of all the accessiories you need for it, which is pretty dumb.

I always thought that you were not allowed to modify your Xbox. I did not modify mine in any way. It seems that if something is not meant to be on your system and you put it on it may cause instability or something like that. In my opinion people should leave their video game systems as they bought them.

223763[/snapback]

Modding xbox's are legal, the only illegal part is the software part. Currently there is only one dashboard, operating system for the modded xbox that is legal. The problem with the others is that they use copywrited software which makes it illegal. I can't remember the name of this dashboard but they totally wrote it, using nothing that was copywrited which makes it legal.

Currently, there are two ways of modding. Soft and hard modding. Soft modding just overwrites the os on the xbox with a different one and adding cool media centers. The nice thing about soft-modding is that you don't have to do physically anything to your xbox. You don't have to add a mod chip but it is handy to add a larger HDD because you can only fit one of the smaller games on your HDD that comes with the xbox.

Hard modding, is where you buy a mod chip, usually on the internet and installing it on your xbox. This is much more difficult way of modding but I think it is better and you get better features. One problem with modding it this way, if you do it wrong.... there is a possibilty of recking your xbox. Then once you install the mod chip, it is also good to get a bigger HDD for the same reason as mentioned before.

Here are some pictures of my friend's modded xbox. Unfortunatly these are older pictures, he added lights in his xbox since these pictures.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Enjoy :(

Edited by xJedix (see edit history)