xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
liauce

An Election Run On Gas Can Bolivias new president deliver....

The above article is from Fortune and you can read it here. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

"We must recuperate our natural resources so they are in our hands and no one can tell us how to use them"

and another major line

"Gas has become an instrument of populism which got out of hand."

The article discusses or rather just reveals issues that I think most thrid world countries face. They are constantly manipulated by foreign companies and in this particular cased Oil companies from the US and Europe such as Repsol, Total, British Gas, Exxon Mobil, and Pan American Energy.

It is funny how the oil belongs to them yet they are still so poor and get such a low percentage cut on the huge amounts of money earned by these corporations. I think it just shows its not what you have but your ability to use what you have.

Funny thing is, like most political leaders, inspite all their promises "I don't think much will change" as Abel Mamani, president of Fejuve, the association of neighbourhood organizations in El Alto puts it.

What do you think? Is this fair treatment to third world contries? Is grace from the Oil Companies in the form of paying them more and waiving some debts, the only way for them to break out of this cycle of poverty? That seems to be what I'm thinking now though.