xisto Community
realthor

Error In Linux ,please Help

hy folks, i recently installed some kde-based linuxes and get this error quite frequently not onli at mepis- which i am running now. It appears when starting kde with the bootsplash showing the start of the few kernel components at the very first one called "Setting up interprocess communication". Behind it, in an alert window sais: "there was an error setting interprocess communication for kde.The message returned by the system was:Could not read network connection list./home/realthor/.DCOPserver_mepis_workbox_0Please check that the dcopserver program is running!"What does this mean? It gave me this error after some time when i was able to get into mepis and as i remmember it is not the only linux with kde that gives me this error after actually working on it. It doesn't seem to be vmware faulty because i had it installed on harddisk and the same error happened.Why could this happen with different versions of kde on different linuxes on hdd or virtual partitions??Please help.

Mhh there are a few options why this happens the first is that you dont have the proper rights this is easy to pass by.Login as root in your home directory from a CLI and issuechown -R youruser:youruser .ICEauthorityYou could also try putting "rm ~/.ICEauthority ~/.Xauthority" into a terminal (CLI) so ICEauthority has to be setup again for your user.It also can be that kdelibs have some prolems so try to reinstall those. It could also be that your missing iceauth which normaly installes with X you could try to reinstall X.Since I dont know if your distro is apt, rpm, ebuild based or that you have to compile the packages from source I cant hand you the commands for that.

my distro is mepis so it's debian deb and i can't login either as root or normal user because i get this error at the first module on splash and if i say ok to the error then it brings me back to login. Only if i could bypass kde and try everything from command line....

my distro is mepis so it's debian deb and i can't login either as root or normal user because i get this error at the first module on splash and if i say ok to the error then it brings me back to login. Only if i could bypass kde and try everything from command line....

222381[/snapback]

Normaly you can switch with "alt+Fx" try "alt+F2"for instance

Note Fx = F1 - F6

Most Linux versions have the gui on alt+F7 or alt+F8

I tried a fresh hdd install on one free partition and after all steps done when booting in kde yhe same error happend. I suspect it's a bug and it has to do with the users i introduce in one of the steps of the instalation...Otherwise i don't know what to say...why a fresh install could generate this error?But if this is a bug then many others should encounter it and i haven't heard anything so far of such an error on mepis forums.Any ideea?