xisto Community
EJay

Increasing Amount Of Swearing

I can't even get through a single day without hearing the f-word ten times. I have to limit people from swearing. I hate it, its as filthy as a "women of the night". I mean really, it sounds so much more intelligent if people actually use real words, then those of an explicit language. I mean really, I hear it comming from 5 year olds, for gosh sakes. I mean if five year olds are talking like that, our society has come down a few notches.

I agree, I do swear, I admit I do when I'm pissed. But I really hate it when little kids try to act gangster, swear, and pick fights with everyone. It really has gotten pretty bad over the past little while.

I dunno, it could just be me but it seems that every grade that's gone through our school (mine included) has had a major attitude problem in relation to this when they were in year 7.I think that's cause it's the start of high-school here in Australia though and so they get some weird confidence boost. It takes a while, but eventually they grow up and stuff.And everyone gets frustrated, and when they swear, it's generally an accident. The worst kind of swearing is pre-meditated: when people swear to sound 'cool'. That annoys me a bit.If it's particular people who are offending you by doing it over and over again, you could try asking them to stop. The results could be surprising! :(

I agree, I do swear, I admit I do when I'm pissed. But I really hate it when little kids try to act gangster, swear, and pick fights with everyone. It really has gotten pretty bad over the past little while.

222075[/snapback]

Yea, but you have to admit, little johhny at age 8 who dresses in sized meant for 18-year olds, with a big clock around his neck, flashing gang signs and speaking in hizzle-fo-shizzle language is kinda funny. swearing, bad, yes. that's the parent's fault though. I could have swore when I was 8, nothign new to this era than mine, but thanks to my folks, I was curbed. I think the main reason of youth violence is lack of parental effort. Boyz in da Hood was a great movie that emphasized this and I recommend it to anyone who thinks it's the kid's fault they act the way they do.

well chez is absolutely correct...It is all about parental control!These days parents dont get much time for there children and children start doing all sort of stupid things, it is not just about swearning or anything like that it is also about degradation of the culture and morals of the society!I dont remember a time..when I said a wrong thing to my elders, fellow members and even younger ones...I have shown my anger to younger ones but that too only when they make any mistake. But these days, there are kids who reply in turn and say all sort of things which are not required and dont look good at all.I think it is the movies, Internet and parental control..I think all these factors combine toghether and make things worse.

Although I agree that swearing should be kept from professional places, it can be very useful for "colorful" or highly descriptive language (if not vulgar, than obscene), and, depending on the usage/time it is used, it can be funny (some jokes just wouldn't be funny without bad words), but just cussing left and right for no good reason can be annoying, disturbing, and insulting.

When i hear a 5 year old cussing. That's when I know this society is just headed in the wrong direction. I just lose hope of the future. Its really saddening to hear a child yell out vulgar words. They're suppose to be innocent and carefree. NOt bad and rebellious. I don't like cussing either. My younger siblings are not permitted by me to say anything with cussin gin it. If they do its a smack. And they know it too. lol.

Swearing isn't just something that's bad to hear kids say though - it's bad if anyone says it, no matter what age they are. Sure, hearing some little 8 year old punk saying 'f' this and 'f' that gets on my nerves as well, but hearing anyone doing that in general is just as bad as well.

What I find worse is when celebrities swear just for the sake of swearing. Examples include people like James Blunt - in the album verison of his song 'You're Beautiful', he sings "I was f-ing high" instead of just singing "I was flying high". Australian members will have heard of Rove Mcmannas, host of Rove Live. I went to his live show and he decided he would just swear his head of for the hell of it - it wasn't even funny.

I think our western societies need to learn that there's nothing intellectual or amusing about swearing - people just see humor/value in it because it's something which most people (used) to think of as something bad and as a result, they are persuaded to use that particular language. People who swear for the sake of swearing need to grow up.

Callum

I have no intentions of saying bad things but somehow words just come out of my mouth when I'm really stressed and frustrated. Sometimes I just bite people's head off by retorting something that I know is offensive. I get irritated easily when I have a lot in my mind like if I have tons of deadlines to meet or something. :(

I rarely swear and I don't like it when I do (or when other people do). I feel like part of the reason why people swear is because people around them swear, like if your friends use bad language in daily conversation it doesn't somehow seem bad anymore. It becomes normal already. Also people in the TV and the movies swear too so everyone gets influenced including children. :(

I have no intentions of saying bad things but somehow words just come out of my mouth when I'm really stressed and frustrated.  Sometimes I just bite people's head off by retorting something that I know is offensive.  I get irritated easily when I have a lot in my mind like if I have tons of deadlines to meet or something.  :(

I rarely swear and I don't like it when I do (or when other people do).  I feel like part of the reason why people swear is because people around them swear, like if your friends use bad language in daily conversation it doesn't somehow seem bad anymore.  It becomes normal already.  Also people in the TV and the movies swear too so everyone gets influenced including children.    :(

222125[/snapback]

Hey guys!

For all of you who're not accustomed to reading oldtimers, I'd like to say that, 2,000 years back, the Roman Empire started falling when people accepted foul-mouthing language.

Now, I think it's not that much a matter of words. Rather a matter of discipline. Don't fool yourselves. Ugly words have been rampant for some time now and they are here to stay because ugly words mean ugly minds. There's hardly any point in saying it's somebody else's fault until you FEEL your mind is clear.

Folks, we're all alike in this predicament. Same level. Desperation. That leads to being foul-mouthed, out of frustration. Just say what you do and do what you say. Just TRY it, and you'll see it for yourselves : it requires NO bad language. I'm not saying it's easy. I'm saying it's a matter of survival. Anything difficult comes easy when it comes down to survive. Being foul-mouthed equates being politically correct these days, and many may know where this leads. Oblivion.

Cheers! :D

I would have to agree with you. People sware too much now, especially at my school. Most of the people sware because it makes them feel cool or big, but sometimes they just do it because they can not find an intelligent word to get their point across. Many of the people who use these words don't even know what they mean. Unless you know what something means you should not say it.

it is a shame what the world has come to. I was brought up to not swear, i remember swearing at my mum after i had over-heard some builders and my mum washed my mouth out with soap (not a fun experience and a briliiant way to teach a child not to do something) however i have noticed as I got older and hung around with people who swore a lot these words have crept into my vocabulary and i swear sometimes without even noticing it, it tends to happen most when i am angry or drunk. I do wish i could stop it but I don't ever expect to be able to completely. Maybe i need to go visit my mum so she can do the old soap trick again.....

I Must say that i have a swearing problem myself ..i cant help it i have swore alot since i was 11 years old...i guess i tried to act tough when i was young..because now i realise the problem and i dont like it...as it has became part in my normal convorsation..so i practically say it without knowing i say it ..then i get killed by my teacher in school :D ...i really dought ill ever shake this habbit..i think it really has alot to do when ur young..for example...when i was lke 8 years old...all the other young'ins would say.."hey dude do you swear....?...because i do"and it just picks up from there.But i am definatly glad that im not the worst i can be..you know likeyou wordsucker :( ..and other really profain ones..for me its only really the F wordand if you consider sh** a swear word (which i dont, but some people do so i try and respect peoples opinion when i use this word just lke other words)..then i suppose im not THAT BAD ....but i still do admit i have aproblem....its became natural convorsation to me :( and i dont know how im gona stop it :D

In a way I see your point but in a way I disagree, if you do any research on the words most of them originated from another language, such as the F word which originated from German Word "Flicken" or to flick. As people become older it is only going to get worse simply due to movies, and tv allow more to be said now adays as well and it just shows a sign of ignorance in part on the person offended and the person saying it.

Part of the reason kids are learning to swear so young now is they hear it all around them. Try riding a public bus in my city through a 'bad' neighborhood. There will be a group of young people hanging out together and practically every other word out of their mouth is a curse word. There are young children on the bus hearing those words. Same thing in shopping centers, malls, stores, downtown on the sidewalk, city parks, etc. Parents used to watch their language around their children more, too. My parents hardly ever cursed, usually my dad only by surprise when he stubbed his toe or something like that. So as a child, I just wasn't exposed to bad language until I was a teenager. And I got in trouble for cursing as a teen, so I tried not to. Now, how many times do you see parents cursing in public with their children there to hear it? Or hear children with their parents cursing, and the parents don't even do anything about it?It probably has something to do with more cursing on TV, in movies, and in songs too. But I think the main reason is lack of parental concern over it. And lack of parental discipline in general, about cursing, and all kinds of other things.I remember when I was a kid, when I got home from school, I had to sit at the kitchen table and do my homework where my mom could watch me. Until my homework was done, I couldn't do anything else. My parents went to PTA meetings, talked to my teachers, and kept track of my grades. They kept track of the days I stayed home sick, so they could check my absent days on my report card and make sure I didn't cut any classes or skip days at school. How many parents do that nowadays? And so many people wonder why their kids aren't learning anything at school. Parents have to get involved with their kid's education if they expect the kid to learn anything. Nowadays, parents blame it on the school system, other kids influence, society, the government, anything and everything except themselves not getting involved. They do it for everything else too these days, because they don't get involved enough with their kid's lives.